What's new

Any Runners in the House?

I ran another 5k tonight on my own. I wanted to quit a couple of times, but since I now know I can do it, I just pushed through it. My time was a little slower but I had to stop 3 times to pick up dog crap.

I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Running strollers - I find them tough to push (especially uphill!),and they definitely slow my 5K race times down. On the other hand, I get to run with my daughter (age 7) and am hoping that between this and kid races where she runs that I can interest her in running. She's not one for physical activity.

I have found that race gear make a difference in my signing up for a race. Technical t-shirts good, poorly fitting ones bad. Creative ones get my interest as well - there was one race that I couldn't do (no running stroller option) that had mugs of chocolate. I still miss that one. :laugh:

I ran another 5k tonight on my own. I wanted to quit a couple of times, but since I now know I can do it, I just pushed through it. My time was a little slower but I had to stop 3 times to pick up dog crap.

Welcome to the thread and congratulations on your 5K (both the race and the one you did on your own)! Great to have more folks getting into the sport.

I'll second Josh's suggestion of proper running shoes; they make a world of difference. If you haven't already, look into some running shorts. They should be available at your local running store as well as cheaper options at Target.

Don't worry if your times vary. It happens, to all of us. As the weather warms up you may find yourself getting slower, at least until you acclimate. Again, happens to everyone. You'll see the payoff come fall.

If you get serious, consider joining a running group and/or getting a proper training plan.

Good luck!

Running strollers - I find them tough to push (especially uphill!),and they definitely slow my 5K race times down. On the other hand, I get to run with my daughter (age 7) and am hoping that between this and kid races where she runs that I can interest her in running. She's not one for physical activity.

I have found that race gear make a difference in my signing up for a race. Technical t-shirts good, poorly fitting ones bad. Creative ones get my interest as well - there was one race that I couldn't do (no running stroller option) that had mugs of chocolate. I still miss that one. :laugh:

I agree on your points... The stroller is tough to push up hill for sure. Your daughter is 7?!?! Good on you... I'd imagine that she wieghs a bit more than my toddler. It is nice to be able to include her in an activity though and expose her to the sport. I did push her in a 5k last summer and even though it was a vey flat course, it was challenging to push that thing at a race effort.

Regarding gear... the running gear is so much better now than it was even ten years ago. The shoes, the socsk, the shorts, the techical shirts... it all makes for a much more pleasurable experience. Conversely, for me, it doesnt get much worse than running in a cotton TShirt. I'll do it in a pinch, but man is it uncomfortable.

When I'm in "race shape" and toeing the line, I will have a pair of shorts, a shirt or singlet and shoes; flats or a lightweight trainer that I'll use for racing only. There is a huge psychological aspect of running that many discount... Having gear that you put on before your race is like suiting up for battle. There's something about it that helps put you in a competetive mindset. No matter how small, any psycholocigal boost will help your race...

I could ramble on about this stuff for days :laugh:

Congrats on your pair of five Ks! Try running w/o your dog...your time will be reduced by a factor of three I think ;)

Congrats on your pair of five Ks! Try running w/o your dog...your time will be reduced by a factor of three I think ;)

Yeah I hate the lines at the port-o-pots before a race too, but you gotta get your (and your dog's) business done before you start running!:001_rolle

Welcome to the thread and congratulations on your 5K (both the race and the one you did on your own)! Great to have more folks getting into the sport.

I'll second Josh's suggestion of proper running shoes; they make a world of difference. If you haven't already, look into some running shorts. They should be available at your local running store as well as cheaper options at Target.

Don't worry if your times vary. It happens, to all of us. As the weather warms up you may find yourself getting slower, at least until you acclimate. Again, happens to everyone. You'll see the payoff come fall.

If you get serious, consider joining a running group and/or getting a proper training plan.

Good luck!

Thank you! Ironic you should mention the shorts. I wore knee length cargo shorts Saturday because I hadn't planned on running. It didn't take long before I could see the benefits to proper running shorts.

My immediate running goal is not necessarily to get faster, or go longer, but to get more comfortable with what I'm doing. Keeping a steady rhythm, keeping up steady breathing, and feeling better while I'm doing it...find that groove. Then I'll work on the pace and the distance. Knowing me though, I'll keep pushing myself further and faster.

At 48 years old I'm not going to win any races, but I can lose these excess pounds, get more fit, and hopefully that will translate into more years spent with my wife, my kids, and eventually, my grandkids. That is my ultimate goal. In 2 months of fitness walking and watching my calorie intake I'm down 20 pounds but have 30 pounds more to go.

Where would I find a proper training plan? Everything I see for beginners talks about C25K, but I'm already able to run 5k. Is there a 5k210k?

Thanks! I need to keep Kody with me on most runs so I can keep him in shape too. He's needs to be in fit condition for the fall pheasant hunting season! Other than the crapping, he keeps up just fine. I think what I'll do, though, is start off with a longer walk and hopefully he'll take care of his business then. Every third or fourth run I'll leave him at home to measure my progress.

Is there any reason I couldn't run 5k daily, having just started out, or should I have a day off between runs until I get my stamina built up? I have a strong urge to go out again tonight.

At 48 years old I'm not going to win any races, but I can lose these excess pounds, get more fit, and hopefully that will translate into more years spent with my wife, my kids, and eventually, my grandkids. That is my ultimate goal. In 2 months of fitness walking and watching my calorie intake I'm down 20 pounds but have 30 pounds more to go.
Great goal, and congratulations on your weight loss!
Where would I find a proper training plan? Everything I see for beginners talks about C25K, but I'm already able to run 5k. Is there a 5k210k?
Look at the Runners World and McMillan Running Web sites. Also check the Web site for your local running store, or ask when you are in there.
Is there any reason I couldn't run 5k daily, having just started out, or should I have a day off between runs until I get my stamina built up? I have a strong urge to go out again tonight.
No reason not to, but be careful of over training. Rest days are your friend.

There is no reason you can't run a 5k daily, but racing (i.e. a hard effort) is no good. One of the keys to staying injury free is to incrementally increase your mileage and effort. If you run hard every day, your body will break down. If you are running 15 miles a week and go out and do a 20 mile run, you're going to feel it and it'll take some time to recover from that single effort. Same thing if you're running three times a week now, and next week you're out 6 times - You're going to be tired, sore, stiff, etc. If you push through those kinds of feelings, it can lead to over use injuries pretty quickly.

What does your typical week look like right now? Are you pretty consistent with that from week to week? Do you have a decent pair of running shoes to protect your body from all this pounding? A typical running shoe is good for generally 3-500 miles. If you've been walking around in them for months or years or running in them for a while, you need to consider a new pair. The shoes are all you have between your body and the pavement - good ones are essential to running without injury.

Running is great, and it's awesome that you're being proactive about your health, but it is also an abusive activity and you need to take some care in how you increase your mileage and/or effort.

As for training plans, there are so many out there... If you need a plan to stay motivated - some people do - then I would just pick one and adapt it to your needs. If you dont need a plan, then I would just go out and have fun with it... not everybody needs structure to get "in shape". Generally speaking the 10% rule is solid advice regarding increase of mielage for those without a strong base of running for months-years. This rule applies week to week; If you run 20 miles this week, dont run more than 22 next week. The third week, 24 miles etc... That's a good general guide. I would generally space out the runs so that I have a recovery day between runs. That said, if I have an opportunity to go for a run two days in a row, I'm not gonna say no.

At this point, my advice is to have fun with it and make sure you dont over do it.

What does your typical week look like right now? Are you pretty consistent with that from week to week? Do you have a decent pair of running shoes to protect your body from all this pounding? A typical running shoe is good for generally 3-500 miles. If you've been walking around in them for months or years or running in them for a while, you need to consider a new pair. The shoes are all you have between your body and the pavement - good ones are essential to running without injury.

I don't have a week of running under my belt yet, let alone a "typical" week. :lol:

I started fitness walking 2 months ago. Started with walks around 3 miles. Within a month I was walking 8 to 10 miles, and at 5 weeks I did a 14 mile hike. Unfortunately at the 10 mile mark I started getting a blister. I must have changed my gait to avoid the pain which led to a self-diagnosed case of metatarsalgia. I took it easy for 2 weeks then started walking more, but still with some pain. Sometimes I don't feel it, sometimes it flares up. It didn't hurt at all the two times I ran, but walking around the office it does hurt some. I guess what I'm saying is that walking or running doesn't seem to make it any worse.

I have a pair of Adidas running shoes that I'd guess I have no more than 40 miles on. They were a random purchase (not from a running store) and I've not had any pain from them in my feet or joints. I do, however, plan on going to a running store to get a new pair to make sure I'm using what I should. I have no problem spending the cash for that.

Running is great, and it's awesome that you're being proactive about your health, but it is also an abusive activity and you need to take some care in how you increase your mileage and/or effort.

As for training plans, there are so many out there...

I downloaded an app from RunDouble that is meant for going from 5k to 10k. It also has the C25K component if I decide I need to take a step back.

At this point, my advice is to have fun with it and make sure you dont over do it.

I do have a tendency to go overboard when I start something new (like buying shaving gear!), so I think instead of running tonight, I'll go to the running store and pick up that new pair of shoes, then take them out for a walk when I get home. If I happen to break out into a short run while I'm out, so be it, but I'm going to try to stick to every other day for a while.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

Great goal, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Look at the Runners World and McMillan Running Web sites. Also check the Web site for your local running store, or ask when you are in there.

No reason not to, but be careful of over training. Rest days are your friend.

Thanks for the comments!

I concur that rest days are your friend. I've got 10 marathons under my belt and over the years I've come to respect the "golden" rule of mileage which is don't increase total mileage more than 10% per week. Everytime I've busted that, it has resulted in shin splits, plantar fasciitis, runners knee, stress fractures...you name it.

I don't have a week of running under my belt yet, let alone a "typical" week. :lol:

I started fitness walking 2 months ago. Started with walks around 3 miles. Within a month I was walking 8 to 10 miles, and at 5 weeks I did a 14 mile hike. Unfortunately at the 10 mile mark I started getting a blister. I must have changed my gait to avoid the pain which led to a self-diagnosed case of metatarsalgia. I took it easy for 2 weeks then started walking more, but still with some pain. Sometimes I don't feel it, sometimes it flares up. It didn't hurt at all the two times I ran, but walking around the office it does hurt some. I guess what I'm saying is that walking or running doesn't seem to make it any worse.

I have a pair of Adidas running shoes that I'd guess I have no more than 40 miles on. They were a random purchase (not from a running store) and I've not had any pain from them in my feet or joints. I do, however, plan on going to a running store to get a new pair to make sure I'm using what I should. I have no problem spending the cash for that.

I downloaded an app from RunDouble that is meant for going from 5k to 10k. It also has the C25K component if I decide I need to take a step back.

I do have a tendency to go overboard when I start something new (like buying shaving gear!), so I think instead of running tonight, I'll go to the running store and pick up that new pair of shoes, then take them out for a walk when I get home. If I happen to break out into a short run while I'm out, so be it, but I'm going to try to stick to every other day for a while.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

Well, it sounds like you're doing pretty well for yourself... you started walking first and progressed to running. At these early stages, I would get out there 3 times a week for a few weeks just to learn how your body is handling the added stress of running. Pay attention to how you're feeling during and after your runs. if you're struggling during the run, back off the pace or even cut the run short. There's no shame in pulling the plug if your hurting... pushing through can soemtimes cause mroe damage than good. There is a time and place for forging ahead and pushing through pain, but this is not it. There's no sense in pushing your limits right now.

In between runs, you might feel achey and sore - that's fine! If you're overly sore, maybe give another day in between to rest up. Or conversely, maybe another easy run will help losen you up a bit. This is a good time for you to experiment a little bit and learn how your body reacts to the stresses of running. The one thing you should be leery of right now is over doing it. You had a taste of that with your hike and blister leading to something more. That can happen just as quick - if not quicker - from running.

I appreciate all the advice, guys!

Last night I went to a local running store and got set up with Brooks Glycerin 12's. I was really impressed with the shop. They analyzed my gait, both by watching me walk in the store and running on a treadmill. He said I needed a neutral shoe.

He then pulled out boxes and boxes of shoes. He let me test them out by running in the parking lot. The third shoe I tried felt perfect but he kept pulling more out in case I found one I like even better. It turns out there was one that felt just as good, so I put on one of each and took another quick lap around the lot and ended up picking up the second one, which was the brooks. I wish I could remember the first model. It had a seamless upper and felt like a glove. I may go back to the store to make note of the model and try it out when I need another pair.

He also sold me a pair of Smartwool running socks. When I got home I decided to go for a walk and a short run in the new setup. It wasn't long before I was feeling buyers remorse because that wonderful feeling I had in the store wasn't there. My foot was sliding all over. I finally realized that the difference was the sock. I went back home, put on my original socks, and they again felt great.

I paid $150 for the shoes. I see I can get them cheaper on line but the service I received was well worth the few extra dollars, and I'll be going back there again for my next pair.

I appreciate all the advice, guys!

Last night I went to a local running store and got set up with Brooks Glycerin 12's. I was really impressed with the shop. They analyzed my gait, both by watching me walk in the store and running on a treadmill. He said I needed a neutral shoe.

He then pulled out boxes and boxes of shoes. He let me test them out by running in the parking lot. The third shoe I tried felt perfect but he kept pulling more out in case I found one I like even better. It turns out there was one that felt just as good, so I put on one of each and took another quick lap around the lot and ended up picking up the second one, which was the brooks. I wish I could remember the first model. It had a seamless upper and felt like a glove. I may go back to the store to make note of the model and try it out when I need another pair.

He also sold me a pair of Smartwool running socks. When I got home I decided to go for a walk and a short run in the new setup. It wasn't long before I was feeling buyers remorse because that wonderful feeling I had in the store wasn't there. My foot was sliding all over. I finally realized that the difference was the sock. I went back home, put on my original socks, and they again felt great.

I paid $150 for the shoes. I see I can get them cheaper on line but the service I received was well worth the few extra dollars, and I'll be going back there again for my next pair.

That's great to hear! This is the experience that a good specialty shop can provide. They're selling the service, more so than the products. Good stuff.

Re: the socks, there are so many different "tech socks" out there and they're just as much personal preference as the shoes themselves. Soem are "slippery," some arent; some are thick and padded, some are like a second skin. The rule with socks is that Cotton is no good. Cotton absorbs your sweat and the moisture mixed with the friction can cause blistering and is generally uncomfortable. The only cotton socks I own are dress socks at this point and even those are some type of blend. I Personally love wool socks, though, I am not overly fond of Smartwool - again, personal preference - but I do really like the wool socks from Defeet.

For what it's worth, When I was running a lot back in the day, I really liked the first few models of the Glycerine Shoe. :thumbup1:

I remembered the name of the shoe I almost bought...Asics Gel-Nimbus 17.

I remembered the name of the shoe I almost bought...Asics Gel-Nimbus 17.

I've worn many Nimbus shoes as well... I think I started with the iii or iv :)

Just FYI... its far from a requirement, but it's never a bad idea to have more than one pair of shoes to alternate. I usually went with two different brand or at least different model shoes, but similar type of shoe for training. I would also have a lighter weight shoe for fast paced workouts.

Last edited:
It's getting humid here, to the point it's affecting running. Did 5 miles this morning and couldn't even hold half-marathon pace. Sweat was rolling off me a good 15 minutes after the run.

It's getting humid here, to the point it's affecting running. Did 5 miles this morning and couldn't even hold half-marathon pace. Sweat was rolling off me a good 15 minutes after the run.

I feel for you with that. Heat/humidity absolutely destroys me. I've been lucky here the past few days been about 50-55 in the am, but it's warming up again next week.

I'm not looking forward to that weather. I was running in 65 degree weather yesterday and getting sweat in my eyes. Jacksonville has to be killer. I'm not a morning person but I may have to try to get my butt out of bed in time to run before work. I sweat like a horse.

Top Bottom