What's new

Why do you live where you do ?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like living in New Orleans cause I can live cheap on my boat close enough to bars that stay open 24 hours, and we got the best food in the world. We got cultcha, cuz. We got good music and we know how to pass a good time. Its the best place on earth and I miss it when im gone.

The main reason I live where I do, is because I cannot get the SWMBO and the youngest daughter to move.
My oldest one loves traveling, and seeing new places. She'll be gone soon, I guess, maybe even outside Europe.

I've had enough job offers, but I am not prepared to go alone.

The US Air Force sent me here for 8 years 30 years ago and the children, and now grandchildren, are here. So, my wife has wanted to stay. Oklahoma and Texas are too far away to move back home. But now that MD has become Tax He11, we will be moving @ 2 hours away next year and taking the business with us.

Maryland, where the criminals are the government. Land of Spiro Agnew and the rain tax.

Maybe so, especially if you're near the OKC area.

i too am very familiar with OKC, Norman, and Lawton. Lived in Lawton from 1st grade to 3rd year of college and did undergrad work at OU. Would move back in a minute. Good people, good hunting and fishing, and great beef and BBQ.

I'm here because it's where I'm from. I have lived in San Francisco and am always working towards moving back. The wife loves it there as well. At one point we were even looking at moving to Hawaii but life intervened and we now have a son. Some day, I will be back in the greatest city in the US. But, I also like here because in two hours east, I can be skiing world class slopes, two hours north is into back country, two hours west is into big city, two hours south, we'll you don't go just two hours south. Nobody vacations in Fresno.

-Xander

Moving back to the Seattle metro area - I love the excitement and many things to do in a (reasonably) big city, combined with Asian culture (I love Asian art, food, et cetera) and people so nice that it made my jaw drop.

I spent time in Ohio, Washington DC, and Pittsburgh. But I will never forget being in downtown Seattle, looking at a map, and an older lady stopped to ask me if I needed directions or help. I had never had that experience . . . anywhere. Between that and Seattle being green, lush, and sunny in the summertime, I was hooked.

The only other places that I'd consider would be northern California, the Southwest, and possibly going back to DC. Portland would also be a contender, except that I prefer Seattle. I can't get the hang of getting across that darn river with all of the one-way roads!

My *** is stuck here and I'm too old to start over. At least once I retire I'll be able to go get stuck somewhere else.

When I was on my last tour of duty in Baghdad (2009-10), my wife (girlfriend at the time) had gotten a job where we live now. Fortunately, she had just declined a similar position in Joplin, MO right before the Tornado leveled the town. When I returned home, my options were 1) move in with my parents or 2) try something new with my GF. While I was still deployed, I applied for a job with the Police Department here and by the time I returned home in mid-January 2010, there was a letter waiting for me notifying me to come take the written and physical fitness tests. Long story short, I got the job and we couldn't be happier. The community we live in is quieter, cleaner and safer than where I am originally from and the cost of living is lower. I had no intention of ever living here, but everything fell into place. Now...with this BS winter weather and all this snow...I would much rather live in Arizona.

The seasons are all liveable, you can always add more clothes when it is cold, and we do know how to drive in the snow and ice. One thing about the heat, no one wants to see me when I am down to my skin trying to escape the heat. I guess in the end it is where I grew up, and have not had a reason to leave. Jobs a plenty and plenty enough to do. There are plenty of inexpensive flights and vacation packages to warmer climes.

Hey neighbour!

I totally agree. Alberta is a great place to live. I was born two hours South in Red Deer, so I didn't exactly move very far, but I enjoy being close to my family without being TOO close. I've travelled extensively through Asia, parts of Europe, the Caribbean and the US. I have seen many beautiful places, but I always appreciate coming home. Edmonton has a world-class folk festival, the best river valley park system anywhere ever, and plenty of weather cold enough to justify my high-efficiency fireplace. Embrace the cold and it isn't so bad. Nothing beats running in -30. Mmmmm, envigorating!

Hey neighbour!

I totally agree. Alberta is a great place to live. I was born two hours South in Red Deer, so I didn't exactly move very far, but I enjoy being close to my family without being TOO close. I've travelled extensively through Asia, parts of Europe, the Caribbean and the US. I have seen many beautiful places, but I always appreciate coming home. Edmonton has a world-class folk festival, the best river valley park system anywhere ever, and plenty of weather cold enough to justify my high-efficiency fireplace. Embrace the cold and it isn't so bad. Nothing beats running in -30. Mmmmm, envigorating!

Howdy Prairie Ninja. Welcome to B&B.

When I was on my last tour of duty in Baghdad (2009-10), my wife (girlfriend at the time) had gotten a job where we live now. Fortunately, she had just declined a similar position in Joplin, MO right before the Tornado leveled the town. When I returned home, my options were 1) move in with my parents or 2) try something new with my GF. While I was still deployed, I applied for a job with the Police Department here and by the time I returned home in mid-January 2010, there was a letter waiting for me notifying me to come take the written and physical fitness tests. Long story short, I got the job and we couldn't be happier. The community we live in is quieter, cleaner and safer than where I am originally from and the cost of living is lower. I had no intention of ever living here, but everything fell into place. Now...with this BS winter weather and all this snow...I would much rather live in Arizona.

We go up to Lac du Flambeau pretty much every summer for a week or two. It's absolutely beautiful there, but the winters are just a bit too brutal for me. That's why I live in sunny, tropical Milwaukee.

Hopefully your patrol vehicle up there is a NaviStar MaxxPro MRAP with heated seats.

Thank you for your service to our great country!

Born, raised and educated in the Charter Oak state. I grew up in a small coastal New England town. I love the abundant natural beauty in this part of the country, especially the changing of the seasons.

We go up to Lac du Flambeau pretty much every summer for a week or two. It's absolutely beautiful there, but the winters are just a bit too brutal for me. That's why I live in sunny, tropical Milwaukee.

Hopefully your patrol vehicle up there is a NaviStar MaxxPro MRAP with heated seats.

Thank you for your service to our great country!

I am from "sunny, tropical Milwaukee"...born and raised. I still visit my folks down there from time to time, however...there's a lot of personal reasons I have for not wanting to live there anymore or raise my family there. But, it will always have a special place in my heart. Lac Du Flambeau is gorgeous and pristine. I have hunted there. Reminds me a lot of the movie "The Great Outdoors" (John Candy, Dan Aykroyd). However, I am a couple hours South of there.

We came to Indianapolis in '81 for a job, that fell apart, but by that time had bought a house and didn't have anywhere else we really wanted to move to. About 10 years ago we looked to maybe central North Carolina and while my wife found a job, I couldn't in my current field. Now we have 2 grandkids and are not going anywhere (but someplace warmer would be nice). She is retired and I will be in 3 years, so maybe we'll spent part of the winter down south. -- Greg/Grizhicks

We live in a small town and have to drive 60 miles round-trip to work every day, but it has its advantages. If we leave for a week-long vacation and realize we forgot to lock our front door, it's not something we worry about and I like to laugh at alarm system commercials on TV. If we get a big snowstorm, the neighbor next door will come over with his little New Holland tractor and blade out my driveway so I don't have to spend an hour doing it with my snowblower. If we're busy with a family emergency like a family member in the hospital or something, we'll sometimes come home to find our 2-acre lawn freshly mown. We do the same for them.

We've got nice, dark skies at night for stargazing, which is one of my hobbies. There are no bans on outdoor burning, no building permits, no building codes, etc. etc.

Of course, there are downsides. If you're working on a weekend home-improvement project or something along those lines, you have to think ahead to alleviate any unforeseen trips to the closest town where you can get stuff on Sundays.

It takes an ambulance about 20 minutes to get here from their dispatch center, but the people who live in town and work for the ambulance district voluntarily listen to their scanners and will show up at your house with at least a small emergency bag and some lifesaving skills long before the ambulance arrives and they don't even get paid for doing that.

I live in Amarillo, TX. First and foremost it is TEXAS. The cultural mix of hispanic with the rest of the population makes for a culture rich in customs, and Oh! the food. Also, while I was born in upstate New York I have spent 30 years in the Lone Star State. The people are terrific and we look at the current progressive, elitist, liberal elements in our government as a sad chapter in American history. So we say, "do what you want elsewhere, but Don't mess with Texas."

Charlotte, NC. Why? Great climate with all 4 seasons. 2 hours from good mountains/hiking, 3 hours from super beaches. Southern hospitality. Decent taxes, although state of NC is a little high. Pro sports, NASCAR, and great college atmosphere as well.

I grew up on the sunny west-side beaches of central Italy. Moved to the US for opportunity reasons and settled in Boston because some family members were already here. The toughest part for me to get used to is the weather... From sunny and warm weather to the very distinguished 4-season weather in Boston. I won't tell you how much I love the snow (sarcasm)! However, if I stayed in Italy I would have never had the opportunity that I had in the States. No joke... I wasn't admitted in Pharmacy School in Italy because people that had politicians' "recommendations" (see "bribed") jumped ahead of me to get into Pharmacy School for unexplained reasons. I didn't have any political connection there. When I came to the States, I was relieved to know that you could become anything you wanted to become with some discipline and hard work.

While I will always love and consider Italy one of the most beautiful countries in the world, I consider the United States the ultimate land of opportunity for those who want to succeed and prosper. This is why I currently live in Boston.

Top Bottom