What's new

Why do you live where you do ?

I've been thinking about why I live where I do....and why I've stayed for the most part for essentially all my life.

Nothing profound....just examining why.

As we all know, no place is perfect. There are positives and negatives to every site.

I live in an area where we experience severe winter from the end of October, early November till late March/early April. The snow does not melt much during the winter, it just piles up and up...till the spring. Right now in parts of my property it is about 4 to 5 feet deep.

There will be more winter storms, more wind induced snow drifts to come. Of this I am confident.

Since the first week of December it's been constant lows of -20 to -38....the highs aren't much better. This is not unusual for my area of North America.

When it's this cold...I'm not much for going outside.

I've lived here...or in another similarly cold area all my life.

Now that I'm in my 60's I ask myself...why am I still here ?

Why not move to a milder climate ?

Well because this is where my family and friends live.

Also the spring, summer and fall are wonderful out here.

Another thing is location, location, location as the real estate guys are wont to say.

I'm located about 2 hours...by car... from the southern Boreal forest...1.5 hours from the Canadian Shield...and I'm smack dab in the extreme end of the northern Great Plains. The variability in beauty, wild life is exceptional and all these magnificent places to go are so close.

If you're a natural science buff, avid photographer and outdoorsman like me...it's hard to beat being so close to three different geographical areas.

I've seen ( and in some too few cases photographed) moose, elk, wolves, black bear, wolverine, fishers, river otters, coyotes, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Barred, Great Horned, Snowy and the largest owl world wide...the Great Gray Owl. This is just a partial listing.

I've seen these animals in their natural habitant...not in zoos. There is something exciting for me to walk along a forest trail or drift along a lake shore (freighter canoe) and come across wildlife unexpectedly.

So, when I look at the overall picture, I think living where I do...in such a cold area.... generally is more positive than negative.

One thing would make it better...I wish the winter was say...2-3 months long rather than 5 1/2 months long.

But I guess in life you can't have it all.
proxy.php

So why do you live where you do ?

I left the familiar surroundings of my life in the Chicago area in 2004. After being laid off from a job of 25 years and a failed marriage. Decided to start over in Arkansas.

I love the natural beauty, the mountains, and the rich history of the area. I also have found an amazing woman to share all with.
Starting over has been a great decision.

I grew up near OKC and so did my wife, so I jumped at the chance to come back when the military offered it. I spent about 2 years in PCola, and it really made me appreciate OKC. Sure, it was warmer and the beaches were beautiful, but the city just didn't have much to offer. OKC isn't huge, but it's easy to find good food, wine and nice restaurants. Pensacola had a little of that, but the variety wasn't there. It just lacked some of the higher end (food/wine) shopping that OKC has...except the fish. Good god, do I ever miss fresh seafood. I also have 2 very good friends in OKC and both my family and the wifey's. It's great to have babysitters and grandparents to spoil our girls. I also like being able to drop $250k on a 2500-3000 ft^2 house on 5 acres in the country, but still only be 20 minutes from downtown. There are more scenic places and bigger cities, but OKC is a great compromise of both together with a low cost of living, small govt, and low crime. The AF will move me soon, but I plan to come back at some point.

I love Oklahoma.

I was raised here. I love the people, the landscape, and the culture.

I grew up cowboying and hunting, and it is still easy enough to do those things here. Also, my family is here.

I plan to spend all my days here.

I was born and raised here.
My wife is from here, my family and hers are here.
I have a good job and the cost of living is reasonable.

Grew up on the Central Florida Atlantic Coast...still here, 700 feet from the mean high tide line. If I had to live in Florida until I die it would right here. But I don't want to do that. Soon (hopefully sooner than later) I will be in the mountains of North GA/Southern TN where I can spend my free time in a tree stand...waiting, patiently waiting for the shot of the day. I'm too old to surf but not too old to hunt the bears, deer, hogs, and game birds found on (or near) my Northern property. Right now, life is good; I am content for now.

The Military keeps me moving. I have been in my current location for just over two years. We are about to move once again. We bought this house, now hopefully we can find renters...

Born and raised in Detroit. Lived there until I went to Michigan State. Stayed for a couple of years after graduation. Moved to Chicago. Lived there for about 20 years and was transferred to the Milwaukee area.

Other than the horrible winter we're having, I really like it here. Nice people, country living, good hunting, slower pace and great beer.

Born in Montréal (Canada) went in eastern Québec for the job and there for the last 4 years. I'm in a small city (50k).the nearest big city 400K is at 300km from where I live.

I hit the lotto and live on a slice of heaven.
I however hit the lotto when I was born. After college I bought a lot that abuts the family farm. I was born at home, and by the time I die I'll have seen five generations of my family living on this spread.

I was born and raised in the Detroit, Michigan area. I wanted to be a teacher but after graduating from Oakland University, (Rochester, Michigan) I found that teaching jobs were very scarce in Michigan. I spent the next fifteen years or so working in retail management. I hated it. So, after hearing that teachers were in big demand in Florida I quit my job, sold the house, packed up the wife and two kids and headed to Florida. I spent a few months working in a boys home while waiting to hear from schools, when suddenly, calls started coming and several interviews followed. I was soon hired as a teacher and taught 23 years until I retired two years ago. Had a 3rd child while here, other two grew up and got married and now have two grandchildren. I'm glad I moved here. I love the warm weather and I love to saltwater fly fish.
cottontop

I finally fled Texas, hating hot weather all my life. Seattle is perfect for me up here on Redmond Ridge. Cool weather almost year-round with light rain. In the summer, temperatures are still moderate, and when the sun is out, this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Spread my ashes here, I am not leaving. :001_wub:

I ended up here for work, but found a hidden gem. It is almost nothing like where I grew up, yet still feels like home. We can be surf fishing on the Delaware coast in the morning and standing in Independence Hall in the afternoon.

I grew up near OKC and so did my wife, so I jumped at the chance to come back when the military offered it. I spent about 2 years in PCola, and it really made me appreciate OKC. Sure, it was warmer and the beaches were beautiful, but the city just didn't have much to offer. OKC isn't huge, but it's easy to find good food, wine and nice restaurants. Pensacola had a little of that, but the variety wasn't there. It just lacked some of the higher end (food/wine) shopping that OKC has...except the fish. Good god, do I ever miss fresh seafood. I also have 2 very good friends in OKC and both my family and the wifey's. It's great to have babysitters and grandparents to spoil our girls. I also like being able to drop $250k on a 2500-3000 ft^2 house on 5 acres in the country, but still only be 20 minutes from downtown. There are more scenic places and bigger cities, but OKC is a great compromise of both together with a low cost of living, small govt, and low crime. The AF will move me soon, but I plan to come back at some point.

I love Oklahoma.

I was raised here. I love the people, the landscape, and the culture.

I grew up cowboying and hunting, and it is still easy enough to do those things here. Also, my family is here.

I plan to spend all my days here.
You two might be the only guys on here that are familiar with my location.

Because it's close to most of my customers, and to the airport.

And most important, because my wife and kids enjoy living here, with their friends and family close by.

I was born and lived in the NYC for many years. I moved from NJ to CT for a job and when I retired moved to the east coast of FL. I eventually settled on the West Coast of Florida for a number of reasons:

• The weather. I hate cold weather and the snow.
  • The people. Most of the folks who live here are from the midwest area. Being polite and considerate are considered good traits by these folks. I have never had neighbors as nice as here.
  • The fishing. I love to go fishing and the fishing in FL - both fresh and saltwater - is great.
  • The location. I have a five minute drive to downtown or the beach.
  • The sunsets. Nothing compares to the sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico.
  • The cost of living. No state income tax, reasonable property taxes, (being a refuge from NJ I appreciate the tax issue) no heating bills, no long commutes, make for a nice life style. We may not have the finest restaurants that Manhattan or other expensive cities may have. But we have many quality restaurants without the Manhattan costs.
  • Nature. We have many natural beauties down here. On any day you can see beautiful birds, fish, porpoises, etc. For example, below is a photo I took recently from my backyard.

$Rosetta spoonbill1.jpg

And another one from the dock area in our development.

$night photo.JPG

I was an Army brat, then an oil brat. Most of my formative years were in Texas. The longest I've ever lived anywhere was during my time in the Army.

My home is in Texas. I'll be going home this year when I retire.

Top Bottom