What's new

Best De Blades out on the market

So I'm new to shaving with a safety razor and have been checking out all these blades. I wish I knew which one to choose from. Maybe if someone can tell me which ones are the best would be truly appreciated. Thanks Guys

YMMV (Your mileage may vary) is the bottom line on that particular question.

There is going to be some consistent highly regarded blades though.

One of the most commonly referenced is Astra SP.

Ask 50 guys, Get 50 answers. Blades are the most YMMV of them all.
Different blades work better on different faces, and even in different razors

For you, you won't know until you try different brands.
A lot of vendors(such as West Coast Shaving) provide 'blade sampler kits' which have tucks of 5 or 10 of a variety of different blades, enabling you to try some different ones and get a feel for what you like.

What kind have you already tried? What razor(s) do you have?
For me, my favorites are Astra SS & Gillette Platinum.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Impossible to tell you which blades are they best. There really is no set standard for "these are the best DE blades" as everyone's face, prep, lather, razor, etc..are all different.

What blades have you used so far? Maybe we can make a suggestion based on that. Also what razor are you using?

Impossible to tell you which blades are they best. There really is no set standard for "these are the best DE blades" as everyone's face, prep, lather, razor, etc..are all different.

What blades have you used so far? Maybe we can make a suggestion based on that. Also what razor are you using?

i have tried feathers,derbys, and merkur. the safetys i own are futur and ej89l

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Feathers are well regarded as the sharpest, but sharp does not always equal smooth.

I'd suggest locating a sample pack. and going through each pack one at a time, use the whole pack before moving on to a new blade. Forget about trying to find the best blade, and try to find the best blade for YOU. one that you like, that gives you great shaves.

Astra SP
Gillette Platinum
Voskhod
Personna

those are some great blades

You might even like
Shark
Rapira
Lord

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My pleasure. I hope you find the blade for you! There are so many to choose from. Just make it fun and try a few different ones till you find one that works for you.
Just be cautious not to switch blades constantly. Use up a tuck then move on if ya don't like it

I really love Voskhod blades. They have a teflon coating making them extra smooth. It is definitely a blade everybody should try! And they are very affordable also.

Polsilver SI are also very nice blades and a bit sharper than Voskhod, but not fully as smooth. Some razors requires sharper blades and there Polsiver SI might fit really well.

Supermax Super Platinum have seemed to work really well in my Futur. I think I have 6 or so shaves on one blade which is really unusual for me. It also shaves really well with an Astra SP.

I like Astra SPs, gillette yellow/green/black/silver blue, derby

best to try a sampler pack and pick your own 'best DE blade' as mileage varies when it comes to subjective recommendations.

1) Crystals
2) Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge, yellow packs
3) Voskhod

Those are my personal favorites at the moment. +1 on the YMMV towards blades, best thing to do is to try out various blades and see which ones you believe are the best. Then stick with those, stock up on some and then try some more blades. Also noticed that one blade would be great in one particular razor but might 've horrible in another due to the razor being a different design.

Top Bottom