What's new

New threads

With my new position as an engineering professor and director for our academy that allows high school students to take actual ABET accredited engineering courses for credit, I have been in need of updating my wardrobe. Before, I taught high school mathematics and would typically wear a button down shirt and khakis. Now I meet with university provosts and state politicians occasionally and figured I would either pick up a suit or a couple sport coats. I already own a pinstriped charcoal suit, but need my New Years resolutions to kick in for a few months to feel like I could wear it again. So since that hopefully won't be a problem, I went to men's Wearhouse on Friday for a couple of sport coats. I know they aren't the best quality, but since I'm not wearing them everyday, they'll suffice until I can afford better clothing if needed in the future.

picked up the navy and a brown/grey sport coats below. The brown has some blue and orange/red fibers, so the wife and I thought it would work well with several different shirts/slacks.The navy is just a classic color, but I will need to get some grey flannel slacks to go along with the khaki colored ones I have. Figured I could dress up either for a meeting and use them for more casual days/evenings or for actually teaching. Once I drop a little weight, I'll have the suit as an option and will look for a local tailor to take in the sport coats if needed.

Also received the black trilby for Christmas shown beside the one I picked up while in Disney world a few weeks ago. Haven't been a huge hat guy, but thought I'd add them into my daily selection on occasion. The only thing I worry about is I typically get hat hair if I wear one for too long.

It is a little weird going from wearing just a shirt and slacks for the last decade to adding a tie a few days a week along with a jacket. I guess it was finally time to improve my style, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 52
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 52
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 52
I have a SC in a similar color/pattern to your brown. It can be quite frumpy on its on, (doesn't scream life of the party, if you know what I mean) but it does take well to lots of variations with accessories. I usually wear mine with a white or solid blue shirt and khakis or blue jeans.

Brown goes well with blue and green accessories. I've also been mixing it up with purple and yellow. TheTieBar.com (no affiliation) has some fantastic and cheap ties and pocket squares (it also has a lot of dogs, too, so beware). I like their "Spotlight" polka-dot pocket squares and their knit silk ties (but again, some of the colors/patterns are hit or miss). A PS really helps break up the "wall of brown" with a nice splash of color. I also like lapel flowers for the same reason.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Enjoy wearing them!

(That's not just an empty platitude, by the way ... but actual advice. If you feel awkward and out of place in your new style upgrade, it will show in your body language &c and cost you more style points than your new duds will give you ... so you have to feel "right" wearing them. Practice at home, if you like. If you can spend a few evenings at home wearing a jacket and tie to have dinner and watch tv & read a book, then you are ready to move it on up! Just think like you are the main character of an old Hollywood movie were everyone wore suits &c all the time.)

Great duds Professor.

Any elbow patches and pipes?

No patches or pipes yet, but maybe in another couple decades.

I have a SC in a similar color/pattern to your brown. It can be quite frumpy on its on, (doesn't scream life of the party, if you know what I mean) but it does take well to lots of variations with accessories. I usually wear mine with a white or solid blue shirt and khakis or blue jeans.

Brown goes well with blue and green accessories. I've also been mixing it up with purple and yellow. TheTieBar.com (no affiliation) has some fantastic and cheap ties and pocket squares (it also has a lot of dogs, too, so beware). I like their "Spotlight" polka-dot pocket squares and their knit silk ties (but again, some of the colors/patterns are hit or miss). A PS really helps break up the "wall of brown" with a nice splash of color. I also like lapel flowers for the same reason.

Thanks for the suggestion for ties and pocket squares; I'll be sure to take a look. I'll probably wear a brighter shirt (have pretty bright blue eyes) or a more vibrant tie with the brown SC to keep it from looking too dull.

Figure I'll try to change it up week to week when I wear them with or without ties with variation on shirts and slacks. I can see some acquisition disorder setting in,but doubt I'll accumulate a lot right away. I've got to be more selective considering a one income family with a one year old son, so need vs. want.

Enjoy wearing them!

(That's not just an empty platitude, by the way ... but actual advice. If you feel awkward and out of place in your new style upgrade, it will show in your body language &c and cost you more style points than your new duds will give you ... so you have to feel "right" wearing them. Practice at home, if you like. If you can spend a few evenings at home wearing a jacket and tie to have dinner and watch tv & read a book, then you are ready to move it on up! Just think like you are the main character of an old Hollywood movie were everyone wore suits &c all the time.)

I think I'll be okay, but I'm sure my wife certainly won't mind me wearing a tie and/or jacket more often because she loves when I do. I just never needed to before (and probably would've felt out of place), but want to branch out a little, especially considering my new exposure to those in higher education, the media and politics.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Focus on a proper fit.

Research what that looks like. A common problem is guys wearing a jacket that is too big, or with sleeves too long.

proxy.php
proxy.php

... of course, another common problem of late is over-compensation and too-tight suits ...

proxy.php

Top Bottom