What's new

Boat Shoes

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I did not realize that a persons foot continues to grow after age 55. Was that related to getting fallen arches? By chance I could see you were losing your arch, your feet lengthening.
I was a barber and a floor nurse for a lot of years. At about 40 my feet went from 8.5 D to a 10EEEE. And this was WITH support hose. Now I'm back in a D and the size ranges from 8.5 to 10. Mostly 9..... But I am on disability now (thanks to my Cardiologist) and get to elevate my feet. Lol, gravity is not my friend!

I was a barber and a floor nurse for a lot of years. At about 40 my feet went from 8.5 D to a 10EEEE. And this was WITH support hose. Now I'm back in a D and the size ranges from 8.5 to 10. Mostly 9..... But I am on disability now (thanks to my Cardiologist) and get to elevate my feet. Lol, gravity is not my friend!
Wow

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I did not realize that a persons foot continues to grow after age 55. Was that related to getting fallen arches? By chance I could see you were losing your arch, your feet lengthening.
My arthritis doctor told me.... with men... our feet, ears and nose continue to grow until we pass away. Evidently, this shoe size increase isn't dropped arches... just the feet growing.

I had a two pair of Italian hiking boots. I bought the original pair in Reno when we were there for one of my business trade shows. I ended up finding another pair at Sierra Trading... way before they were sold at a 50% discount. I miss those the most, even though we live in Florida. They were great for stomping around the nature preserves, etc.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A couple months back I spoke with a customer service person at Sperry, as I've been looking for some new deck shoes (for sailing) and have owned Topsiders going back 50 years.

The customer service peson basically said the quality of most of Sperry's current boat shoes are crap. They have offshored almost all the production (one can still get a hand-sewn-in-Maine of high quality at a price), but the rest of the lineup doesn't deliver the quality one once expected from Sperry. This is a customer service person working for Sperry telling me the quality is terrible.

She hears the complains all day long and say the ownership is cashing in on Sperry's reputation, while destroying it in the process of selling poorly made offshore shoes that are branded as "Sperry."

But Sperry, exception of "handsewns" noted, doesn't make the shoes anymore. The contract them out to low bidders. Different factories use different lasts, so sizing is variable within the "brand." Being cheaply made they don't hold up (literally come apart).

And the basic Topsiders now, instead of being plain leather-lined (as traditional) which dried reasonably well after getting wet, are instead lined with a fabric that resists drying. This kills their utility for sailing and makes them into "fashion shoes," that don't hold up in any case.

Pretty discouraging, as I just thought I'd get another pair of the same type sailing shoes I first started wearing as a teen.

I feel like yelling at clouds.

Bill
One of the most bemoaned losses of classics was the disappearance of MiUSA Sperry Kudus. The thick sole was much more comfortable, the heavy oiled leather was not fazed by saltwater, and their very dark color stayed good looking seemingly forever. Sigh.

One of the most bemoaned losses of classics was the disappearance of MiUSA Sperry Kudus. The thick sole was much more comfortable, the heavy oiled leather was not fazed by saltwater, and their very dark color stayed good looking seemingly forever. Sigh.
I agree entirely.

Despite my relatively long history wearing Topsiders, I had no memory of the "name" of this model (which I assume I once owned), but I was hoping to get a new pair with these sorts of thicker soles and heavily-oiled leather uppers.

The thicker-soled version were much more comfortable and the well-oiled leather was perfect for the job. They lasted, despite frequent soakings in ocean water, and they looked good despite "the abuse."

I had a pair of these during a period when I owned a small open dinghy daysailer, one that made for a very actively involved (and very wet) sailing experience. They held up beautifully. Purpose made.

I'm hoping to begin sailing more soon (on a waiting list to join a sailing club) now that I'm retired. The club has large (compared to dinghies) sailboats, so new deck shoes are unlikely to take the drenchings my old Topsiders did back in the day, but is Sperry had a quality offering at a semi-reasonable price point, I'd purchase a pair of MiUSA Sperry Kudus in a heartbeat.

With you 100%.

Bill

At 65, I have a selection of very nice dress shoes (including some classic Allen Edmund and Church shoes) that I've had for decades and treated well (stored with shoe trees) that I expected would serve me for the duration of my existence.

But they are now too small to really wear comfortably. With silk-thin socks they are a "maybe" (at best). Good thing that my 19 year old is just growing into the size.

My shoe size has crept up over the years.

Bill

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I agree entirely.

Despite my relatively long history wearing Topsiders, I had no memory of the "name" of this model (which I assume I once owned), but I was hoping to get a new pair with these sorts of thicker soles and heavily-oiled leather uppers.

The thicker-soled version were much more comfortable and the well-oiled leather was perfect for the job. They lasted, despite frequent soakings in ocean water, and they looked good despite "the abuse."

I had a pair of these during a period when I owned a small open dinghy daysailer, one that made for a very actively involved (and very wet) sailing experience. They held up beautifully. Purpose made.

I'm hoping to begin sailing more soon (on a waiting list to join a sailing club) now that I'm retired. The club has large (compared to dinghies) sailboats, so new deck shoes are unlikely to take the drenchings my old Topsiders did back in the day, but is Sperry had a quality offering at a semi-reasonable price point, I'd purchase a pair of MiUSA Sperry Kudus in a heartbeat.

With you 100%.

Bill
I love little open dinghy day sailors. I have crewed on monstrous boats, and although they can get the adrenaline flowing like crazy, a little boat is just more fun to me. Plus, if the wind dies, you can row back in! I wonder if someone like Rancourt or Quoddy might bring back a Kudu clone.

Shoe ramblings:

In broad strokes, a leather shoe can be recraftable if it has sewn on soles and usually not with glued on soles.

1. The over/under retail for a re-craftable shoe is 200 USD. Sometimes you can catch them on sale, vintage, seconds etc. You can spend much more, rarely less. There are an every increasing number of direct to consumer brands in this space i.e Beckett Siminon, Thursday Boots etc.

2. Leather shoe quality had gone down precipitously since the 80s. (HS 83/BA 87/JD 92) The quality of legacy brands like:
Sperry, Eastland, Bass, JMurphy, C.Hann, Florsheim, Stacy Adam’s and even Allen Edmonds has all slipped, particulalry if they are no longer being made in the USA and/or the western hemisphere.

3. As an older Italian salesman at an independent men’s store once said to me in the summer of 1980-81 when I was buying a set of black wing tip Florsheim Imperials (99.99 out the door) for my new job at Macy’s and for school stuff, “you got one set of eyes and one set of feet, never scrimp on shoes or glasses.”

4. Sizing varies widely, shoe to shoes, brand to brand. Most of my Allen Edmonds are 13s. My redwing boots ( Iron Ranger and Blacksmiths) are 11s with significant break in, my Wolverine 1000 milers are 11.5s, my Danner Bull Runs are 12.

5. Any shoe will last much longer if you give it a day of rest between wears and use shoe trees.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My arthritis doctor told me.... with men... our feet, ears and nose continue to grow until we pass away. Evidently, this shoe size increase isn't dropped arches... just the feet growing.

I had a two pair of Italian hiking boots. I bought the original pair in Reno when we were there for one of my business trade shows. I ended up finding another pair at Sierra Trading... way before they were sold at a 50% discount. I miss those the most, even though we live in Florida. They were great for stomping around the nature preserves, etc.
My lovely War Department told me the other day that my ears aren't growing.

She said it only looks like it because my head and branes are shrinkin'.

True story doggone.

I love little open dinghy day sailors. I have crewed on monstrous boats, and although they can get the adrenaline flowing like crazy, a little boat is just more fun to me. Plus, if the wind dies, you can row back in! I wonder if someone like Rancourt or Quoddy might bring back a Kudu clone.

I had a Coronado 15. These were pretty popular on the west coast at one time. Both the UC Berkeley and UCLA University/Student yacht clubs had Coronado 15s that I sailed prior to getting mine. They may still.

The Coronado 15 only had a dropdown center board (rather than a proper keel), but it had a hatch and just enough teak to look cool. It was a very active sail with a mainsail and a gib. We had to hike way out on the gunwales, with feet planted in hiking straps, in order to provide the correct counterbalance (and prevent capsizing).

The UCLA fleet was not taken outside the marina, but I'd sail my Coronado 15 out of Marina Del Rey breakwater and up the coast past the Santa Monica pier and towards Malibu. I'd be knackered after several hours working that little sail boat in the ocean, but boy was it a lot of fun. It always felt like "real" sailing to me (which was my internal "compensation" for having the most modest sailboat in the whole marina). LOL

The most modest, but true sailing. Miss that baby.

Bill

I love little open dinghy day sailors. I have crewed on monstrous boats, and although they can get the adrenaline flowing like crazy, a little boat is just more fun to me. Plus, if the wind dies, you can row back in!

I had a Coronado 15. These were pretty popular on the west coast at one time. Both the UC Berkeley and UCLA University/Student yacht clubs had Coronado 15s that I sailed prior to getting mine.
I grew up right by the ocean, with dinghies and small keel boats. These days my new love is sea kayaking. It's more affordable, more agile, and faster to get on the water than with bigger boats, and a very close contact with the ocean. On a "rough" day, it's a total adrenaline rush to surf the surf in an ocean kayak.
As for boat shoes, I'm afraid it's mainly neoprene socks under deck in my boat, No Sperrys for me!

I’ve noticed like a lot of women have that gravity tends to elongate your ears and nose. I did not realize it did the same thing with your feet. That’s interesting. The downside also that makes your spine compress and you are shorter.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sperry makes some very upscale boat shoes. Certainly better than jeans in any case.
Two things though:
Think about how much time you spend in a day looking at other guys feet, and realize everyone else is about the same.
Don't buy boat shoes like this:

1000001284.jpg

I’m in Florida and boat shoes are ideal. I have been wearing them forever. My kids call them dad shoes. I don’t like socks and I don’t like flip flops. Flip Flops are for the beach. These are shoes you can wear with no socks, and they will not smell. They can get wet, and they will it rains a lot in Florida. I have worn boat shoes at work with socks. I now work at home, and I wear them for the occasional meeting with no socks again its Florida. Get the Gold cup ones you will be glad you did.

I grew up right by the ocean, with dinghies and small keel boats. These days my new love is sea kayaking. It's more affordable, more agile, and faster to get on the water than with bigger boats, and a very close contact with the ocean. On a "rough" day, it's a total adrenaline rush to surf the surf in an ocean kayak.
As for boat shoes, I'm afraid it's mainly neoprene socks under deck in my boat, No Sperrys for me!

I'd like to know more about sea kayaks. They appeal to me.

Bill

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I used to paddle an aluminum canoe on Long Island Sound. It got exciting when there were any waves. I also sailed a classic Moth (12') in Hampton Roads. I'll never forget crossing the bow of the Forrestal. We were not visible to her bridge, but being under sail we had the right of way. Fortunately we were upwind and successfully crossed. Her wake was exciting.

Top Bottom