What's new

A caveman and his pipe

Hope you get to feeling better soon Captain. I've missed hearing from you and about your pipe adventures. I'm still waiting to hear about how the dark matter turns out. I have enjoyed the sample of Northwoods you PIF'D me and Sultans blend. I'm liking these crossovers very much. Hope we hear from you soon.

Rick

I've been wondering how those worked out for you! I'm glad you like them.

I'm not feeling sick per se. I've just felt a hint of a threat that I could get sick. When I do get sick it's never just a 3-day cold; it always launches into a nasty sinus infection. As such, I've grown quite adept at detecting early signs and trying hard to evade it. Plus, I really needed to NOT get sick even more than usual, as I had an important project that I had to do (replace transmission in what is basically my only car)...sinusitis is miserable enough, I can't imagine the level of misery (and nasal spray abuse) if I had to do that job sick. Anyway that project was a resounding success (better than the last transmission ever was) and Thanksgiving is over.

Tonight, driving home from the family gathering, I smoked some leftover shake from MoVaLa but I really should have gone for more of a sure thing. It tasted and smelled cigarettey. I really wasn't enjoying it. Since it's probably only the second bowl I've smoked this month I wasn't going to soldier through it to see if it got better. In a very rare move for me I dumped an unfinished bowl. There's maybe two bowls worth of it remaining, it's getting mixed in to the next batch I guess.

Yup, got the car done (and the result is excellent), got through Thanksgiving, and babysat my ultra-cute extra-cuddly 18 month old niece while my sister went Black Friday shopping before the germs finally started winning their battle.

The new transmission may be leaky, or it may just be slowly burping because I overfilled it. I'll have to crawl under and investigate it. Hopefully it's just overfilled, and if it's leaking then hopefully it's a fitting that I can replace rather than a main seal that I'd have to try to putty from the outside with who knows what. I'm not sure how long I'll give it but I'm definitely not working on it sick.

I'm well enough to get back to smoking now. I'm finally trying C'est La Vie. It's not the vanilla bomb that I expected but it's pretty nice.

I've got plenty left in the bowl but I'm going to have to head back to the office soon. I doubt it will re-light well; that's pretty rare in my experience. Drat.

I'm well enough to get back to smoking now. I'm finally trying C'est La Vie. It's not the vanilla bomb that I expected but it's pretty nice.

I've got plenty left in the bowl but I'm going to have to head back to the office soon. I doubt it will re-light well; that's pretty rare in my experience. Drat.

I was looking around a wile back to try to pick up some of that, and no one seemed to ever have it, almost like it went to a single distributor, like the Middleton Apple or something.

I think it was made for P&C, along with Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey. One or both may have ended up with limited distribution elsewhere or other companies selling them bought from P&C.

I think it was made for P&C, along with Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey. One or both may have ended up with limited distribution elsewhere or other companies selling them bought from P&C.
Sad. I also loved the Erin Go Bragh. Luckily I managed to stock up slightly on it and picked up so pouches, since I can't find it anywhere now.

Yeah, pretty sure that one is discontinued...but C'est La Vie may be available right now on P&C, they just sent it to me about a month ago.

So, that ok but not great C'est La Vie smoke was in a maple MM Ozark. Today I had it while driving in my Driving Cob 2.0 (same stem on a similar Chinese cob, shank not shortened, bowl chamber a little narrower) and it was excellent. It really came alive. It was sweet like eating white cake with vanilla frosting, though more of a generic sweetness with some vanilla to it rather than an actual vanillabomb.

Oh, and I found a major problem with it too...its name. All through the bowl I couldn't stop thinking "it was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well / you could see that Pierre did truly love the madamoiselle / and now the young misseur and madame have rung the chapel bell / c'est la vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell"...that is, until it started irritating me enough to make me think about songs named C'est La Vie and another one came up: "c'est la vie C'EST LA VIE that's just the way it goes, let's go!" (talk about 80's cheese!).

As such, I'd say it is best to smoke this blend while listening to or watching something interesting, rather than during a boring drive with no music playing because wife doesn't want any.

Decided to have a smoke on the morning commute for the first time in a while....and forgot that I like English blends for that (especially on cool mornings). I loaded some C'est La Vie but I just couldn't get into it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Decided to have a smoke on the morning commute for the first time in a while....and forgot that I like English blends for that (especially on cool mornings). I loaded some C'est La Vie but I just couldn't get into it.

Well, like they say....

C'est la vie.

;)

I'm trying to be as patient as possible on Dark Matter. I'm hoping I can hold out until I finish that first batch of Latakia + Modern Virginia (maybe that should be called "MoVaLa"?), which really shouldn't be too long. That way I can re-use the pouch that I have for it.

If I'm reading this thread right, that's what's sitting in the press now. That was November 4, 2015. It is now March 19, 2016. How's that for patience?!

As I've mentioned, illness and changes in my routine conspired to keep me from smoking. After a few false starts I'm back into a groove, smoking on the drive in to work every morning.

I finished the MoVaLa that was in the pouch in my kit and grabbed a convenient bag of an un-pressed mixture. For a few days I've smoked a mixture of Milan Sultan's Blend, Stokkebye Proper English, straight blending Latakia, and possibly something else, my documentation is vague. I remember it being decent but it's not very good now. It tastes ok and reasonably Englishey but not how I like, and it smells very Virginiaey at best, as if I'm smoking it too fast/hot.

Perhaps I should liberate that Dark Matter and start smoking it.

As a reminder, here's the makeup of Dark Matter:
I put together another "press" and started another blend.
~25% Latakia
~25% John Bull
~25% Mac Baren Virginia #1 Ready Rubbed
~10% Sir Walter Raleigh (which, BTW, is also in the semi-aromatic blend I started yesterday, but I forgot to list it)
~10% Modern Virginia/Latakia mixture (the leftover unpressed amount)
...and just a pinch of Captain Black Dark.

Yeah, that only adds up to ~95% + a pinch. The other ~5% is probably just dark matter.

I mixed it in the same bag that I used for last night's blend so it may have picked up some residual Jim Beam and traces of the various ingredients I used.

Puck extracted.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Although it smells and looks good enough to eat I didn't take a bite out of it. There were some extrication complications and that bite was taken by a screwdriver.

Also, around the edge there is an area where the wax paper became one with the tobacco. It will come apart when I rub it out.

I don't know when I'll smoke it but I'll post when I do.

Top Bottom