What's new

Item of the Week 11/4 - Gillette "Fatboy" Razor

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello to all.

This will be the thirty seventh in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The thirty seventh featured item of the week will be
Gillette "Fatboy" Razor.

Well, i found him and will start him in #4 position.
Quite a nice vintage Fatboy, E3; circa 1959? Thanks to Nick for the restorations.
Into rotation with the reknotted Rubberset, and a current day Silver Blue blade.
I decided to leave the aging Palmolive tube in the dugout, instead called on younger Proraso Blue.
Very wise manager decision, IISSM.
Almost seemed like no blade in the Fatboy, for three light passes to clear the bases.
Mopped up with AV menthol blue.
For you Dodger fans out there, reminisce!

$gillette fatboy-aqua velva comp nov 3 2013.jpg

I'm in! It will be nice to get back to my Fatboy for a week--maybe I'll finally get around to trying adjusting between passes.

Shaved with my Slim this morning. I will (gladly) change over to the item of the week beginning tomorrow. I love my E1 so, I'm in.

I'm in this week with the Fat Boy and Gillette Silver Blues.
Been using my fat boy only on the weekends.
I love the way this razor feels in my hands like second nature.

How timely! I just went back to using my very minty 59' Fat Boy this weekend and had planned to use it all week anyway. Love having mine dialed in to "Lucky 7" and using that setting for all three passes.

Love the Fat Boy, an American Classic.

Frank

How timely! I just went back to using my very minty 59' Fat Boy this weekend and had planned to use it all week anyway. Love having mine dialed in to "Lucky 7" and using that setting for all three passes.

Love the Fat Boy, an American Classic.

Frank

That, Sir, is a very nice razor! :thumbup1:

In with a G-2 at least for a couple days. I hate Slims and have a Fat Boy that I have cleaned up on hand. I will try it and see how I like it.

Day 1/Shave 1

Fat Boy on 5
Personna Lab Blue blade
Mike's Natural Rose/Cedar soap
Rudy Vey custom keyhole brush
Acqua Di Gio AS

I have tried two Slims at different times in my shave journey and hated both. When I saw this thread, I thought the Fat Boy would be the same. I had a Fat Boy that I cleaned up last week, but have not yet polished or listed for resale, so I thought, why not and I signed up for this week's shaves with it.

After knocking down down my first Fat Boy shave set on 5, I have to say it is nothing like the Slim. I got a irritation and blood free BBS. I will continue to work with the Fat Boy for the week, but at the present, my OC razors have nothing to worry about. I could possibly see the Fat Boy as a travel razor paired with a NEW LC.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 235
Day 1!

Razor: Fatboy (F1) (set to 4)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Frank's Shaving Synthetic
Cream: Superlather of Speick cream and Mama Bear's Mysore Sandalwood
AS: Speick

Nice shave. I've been alternating a New LC and a Pre-War Tech, so the taller head on the Fatboy gave me some challenges in the lip area. Not bad for day one. Also, the Gillette Silver Blues continue to be fantastic in any razor I've tried them with.

Last edited:
The Fatboy is simply a gorgeous razor.

I couldn't agree more. It just so happened that my Fatboy was up in the rotation starting last night.

Took some pics of a few that I recently acquired at an antique store. SWMBO thinks I'm a little obsessed for taking so many photos.

Attachments

• $IMAG0830 (2).jpg
    $IMAG0830 (2).jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 219
Top Bottom