What's new

Item of the Week 11/4 - Gillette "Fatboy" Razor

I rarely use anything besides my Cobra but I saw this thread and gave my E1 a whirl today. I used a Gillette Silver Blue in it and lathered up some Mitchell's. This was the first DE razor I fell in love with and I remembered why. The Fatboy is a nice smooth shaver with great balance. I didn't get as close a shave as I do with the Cobra but good enough. Maybe I'll crank it up to 7 or 8 tomorrow and see what happens. I think I'll go with vintage Old Spice soap.

WOW! I finally lucked out for this week's IOTW! I had a dry spell over the last few weeks on participating. I lucked out on this one today because I randomly decided to load up my Fat Boy (E1) yesterday! I learned something from the October Highlander Challenge (using one set up all month). I modified that to using one razor, blade, soap, brush for the entire week or until a blade change. So for this week my set up is:

1959 (E1) Fat Boy
Astra SP blade
MWF soap
Vintage (was NIB) Ever-Ready 150 boar brush
Pinaud Clubman AS

Coincidently I packed my Fatboy for a short holiday to Sydney this week. Beautiful piece sourced from a fellow B&B'er. You've got to admire American engineering and workmanship from all those years ago.

1959 (E1) Fat Boy

Gillette Yellow
Benton Clay Travel Stick (Lime Bergamot)
SOC
Proraso Pre-Post Shave Cream (Used as AS)

Yes! I'm so in. Love the Fatboy. Didn't think much about them as I sold every single one I came across but gave this one another chance. I was pleasantly surprised enough to keep going. Now it's one of three main razor in my rotation.

Attachments

• $IMG_20131104_173720_496.jpg
    $IMG_20131104_173720_496.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Oh cool. I'm in and didn't even know it. This morning's shave was one of my FB's on 8 loaded with a Voskhod. I used a Tabac stick AND MWF superlathered with a Semogue 1305. (CRAZY good lather btw) I finished with RR alum and a healthy splash of Clubman. It was a great way to start the week.

Fatboy week is on!

Day 2/Shave 2

Fat Boy on 5
Personna Lab Blue blade
Mike's Natural Rose/Cedar soap
Rudy Vey custom keyhole brush
Acqua Di Gio AS

Got another BBS, but find that on 5, I have to go over my neck a bit more than I am used to with my Aristocrat or NEW. I may play with different settings tomorrow. Anyway, no nicks, no cuts, no weepers and an irritation-free shave.

At this point I would rank the Fat Boy as a decent shaver, but I don't expect it will earn a spot in my rotation shown below. In other words, for me, all of the following razors perform better than the Fat Boy. If the Fat Boy was all I had to shave with, I could be perfectly happy, but I have options I prefer. This is day 2 observations. Let's see where we end up at the end of the week.

DE Razors
1934 Aristocrat TTO OC
1937 Sheraton
1938 Senator
Merkur 38HD C
NEW Short Comb
NEW Long Comb
1918 Old Type
1955 Red Tip
Pre War Fat Handled Tech
SE Razors
GEM Damaskeene 1912
1912 Ever-Ready
GEM MMOC

Shave #1 with the Fatboy (set @ 4,5,5)

Fatboy w/ Personna Lab (2)
Stirling Soaps Tuscany
B&B Essential "Saint Sue" Edition
Witch Hazel, Imperial Bergamot AS, L'Occitane Cade ASB

Obtained a DFS/BBS but my skin was not happy afterwards. Quite a bit of sting even from the Dickinson's WH...

The Fatboy has never been my cup of tea. I probably have around 10 shaves on it with various blades and settings but none of the shaves would qualify as "smooth". I always walk away with a few minor nicks and weepers. It is somewhat strange that my Executive Adjustable (practically just a gold-plated Fatboy) is exceptionally smooth and in my rotation. Although today's shave was not the best, I am still looking forward to using the FB and further fine-tuning the settings, angle, and my technique.

1959 Gillette Fatboy Adjustable
Personna Red Israeli (1)
Restored Rubberset 400 with TGN High Mountain White Badger

Simpsons Luxury Cream
Grey Flannel AS

Unrefined Shea Butter

$SOTD11052013A.jpg

The Fatboy set at 5 delivered a nice, near BBS shave. The Simpsons cream is very good, produces gobs of thick, slick, cushiony lather. I didn't think this was possible, but it may be just a bit too slick for me. Still, I'm very happy with this morning's shave since my Fatboys haven't seen much action lately.

Last edited:
OK. I'm in. I have a 1958 Fatboy that was replated by Sam a while ago. It isn't my go to razor but it did a credible job today. A DFS.

TOBS Lavendar. GSB,

I started it at 8 where I normally had it and then took a couple of pots in here to heart and backed it off to 7.

Will keep posted as the week progresses.

I am out. I had a serious inquiry for my razor and I polished it up for sale. The razor has sold, so I don't have a Fatboy on hand at the present time. I have one at the replaters and one in the mail. If the one in the mail gets here in the next few days, I will jump back in.

Todays shave was...

Fatboy set on 6 WTG, ATG, XTG
Feather Blade
La Toja shave stick
Omega Boar
MG5 AS

DFS, my neck just doesn't want to be smooth. I've beene experimenting with J-hooking on my neck on the ATG pass and it seems to make a difference in smoothness.

Last edited:
Tonight's lineup starring the 1959 Fat Boy and a special appearance of the Cella (Who I had all but given up on) DFS! :cool:

Frank

Day 3, same set up:

1959 (E1) Fat Boy
Astra SP blade
MWF soap
Vintage (was NIB) Ever-Ready 150 boar brush
Pinaud Clubman AS

Something of an observation: Last month I ised and open comb Gillette NEW (Goodwill and a short comb). I noticed going back to the adjustable usually set on 5 or 5-5-3 seemed a little mild. So I am experimenting with higher settings for this week. I will let you all know what I think.

Top Bottom