What's new

Show us Your Tobacco Stash and Smoking Rooms

Some of my pipes

$1415492494002_8636340032_59938776.jpg

Some of my cellar from about a month ago (it's grown since)

View attachment 525070

A word of caution, Brian. I have heard that those Esoterica bags can develop pinhole leaks over time, especially if they bang around a lot. I can't imagine anything worse than opening up the bag of Stonehaven you've patiently aged for five years and discovering dried up tobacco dust.

I jarred mine up, but you'd probably be fine just stashing them away somewhere they won't get jostled.

A word of caution, Brian. I have heard that those Esoterica bags can develop pinhole leaks over time, especially if they bang around a lot. I can't imagine anything worse than opening up the bag of Stonehaven you've patiently aged for five years and discovering dried up tobacco dust.

I jarred mine up, but you'd probably be fine just stashing them away somewhere they won't get jostled.

I've heard that about those bags. Was contemplating getting a vacuum packing unit (Costco or something) but may just zip lock them for now. I would evenvacuum seal my cardboard walled tins if I ever get around to getting one.
Thoughts??

Ps. Thanks for the heads up!

I've heard that about those bags. Was contemplating getting a vacuum packing unit (Costco or something) but may just zip lock them for now. I would evenvacuum seal my cardboard walled tins if I ever get around to getting one.
Thoughts??

I have a "Foodsaver" vacuum sealer. They are great for short term storage, but I don't know if I trust them for long term aging. Although rare, they can also develop leaks and lose there seal. The advantage is you can look at the sealed bag and tell right away if there is a problem. I have also read that tobacco ages best in an air tight container (not a vacuum) because the natural bacteria that makes it better over time doesn't do well in the vacuum. I'm sticking to Mason jars. They are designed for preserving organic materials. Whatever you do, protect that giant stash of Esoterica. LOL

Thoughts??

Ps. Thanks for the heads up!

From what I've read, vacuum seals are not the way to go with tobacco. Mason jars seem to be the universally accepted method.

FWIW, Ive heard vacuum sealing tins can also be beneficial as a means of reinforcing tin seals. That little bit of inward pressure can help keep gassing tins from blowing their seal. That said, I've never done it personally. I figure if I have a tin in the cellar, I am checking often enough that I will smell the tobacco from a rupture and have a chance to jar it before any lasting damage is done. Personally, I WILL NOT leave tobacco in plastic packaging.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The mylar bags are known for developing pinholes at the corner creases.

There isn't anything wrong with vacuum sealing with a Food Saver, it's just that without any air the aging process that typically happens is greatly slowed or even stopped. If you want the blends to stay as is, that will be a fine solution, but if you want any changes over time you'll need a small volume of air.

Can the Food Saver machine be stopped before it extracts all the air? If you can seal the bags without totally vacuum sealing the contents it may be a viable option to let the aging process happen.

Can the Food Saver machine be stopped before it extracts all the air? If you can seal the bags without totally vacuum sealing the contents it may be a viable option to let the aging process happen.
I use a handheld FoodSaver unit with the jar sealer attachment. I suppose only time will tell, but my goal is to pull enough air out to create a better seal, but leave enough in to let things age nicely. With aros, or certain Balkans or English blends that I don't want to mellow out or weaken in flavor too much over time, I pull all of the air out in order to preserve their current state as long as possible. It's inexpensive, compact and super easy to use. If nothing else, that little "gasp" I get when opening a jar from the cellar is very satisfying!

... If nothing else, that little "gasp" I get when opening a jar from the cellar is very satisfying!

What ever the bio-chemical action is, as tobacco ages in a jar, it uses up some air. If you leave tobacco in a sealed jar for a few months, you will still get the 'satisfying gasp' without the use of a vacuum sealer.

I have a sportsman's Foodsaver and yes, you can control the amount of air that is withdrawn. It's the plastic bag material that I don't trust. I put some baccy that I bought at a B&M in PA in a vacuum bag and stuck it in the cellar. After about a year, it had lost it's seal. The tobacco was OK, but no better than if I had used a zip lock.

I was hoping to keep everything in its original packaging.

A sufficiently large jar can hold various types of original packaging. I keep pouches and tins (that I'm not currently using) in jars.

I don't know about that specific machine, but I have a bag sealer, it's just a little heating element in a plastic handle that you run across a bag to melt it closed...you could certainly do something like that. However, bags don't do the job:
http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html

Top Bottom