What's new

Penmanship

5 years ago, I was thinking about taking classes to improve my penmanship. It looks like some meth addicted doctor wrote it when I write things. I always saw writing as a needless chore because of the computers that were around. Saw my first computer when I was 2 years old (in 1980) and I knew those cool glowy boxes would take the world by storm so I never really saw the need to improve my penmanship. I kinda regret that now because I find it helps my creativity if I write a paragraph or two or a page or two by hand. It may be too late because I broke the fourth metacarpal by the knuckle in my right hand. Even though it has been treated by professional, screws, pins, etc... The hand has never been the same since and my hand hurts really bad when I write for a protracted period of time. I have always loved fountain pens but I lack the skill to write with them.

The one thing about Fountain Pens is that you use very little or no pressure, so it is less likly to make your hand hurt!! There are several site to help improve your writing. You just have to practice, practice, practice!!!

Tom

Since part of your problem is a past injury, I don't know how that affects the usual advice for writing comfortably. Have you talked with a doctor or physical therapist about this specific problem?

Apart from that, however, many people have a problem with cramping up after writing for a short time. That probably points to bad technique of some kind. For example:

Do you have a death grip on the pen? Try to hold it as lightly as you can while still controlling it. Think of it as guiding the pen rather than pushing it or pulling it around the page.

How are you holding the pen? Maybe I'm not the best person to advise you on that. If you consult this page of tips, my grip is closest to figure 2, which is not the classic method. On the other hand, I'm holding the pen lightly, and keeping it at a good angle (see the pictures). It works for me.

Are you moving the pen with your fingers? That can cause problems. Try to get your arm involved.

Are you pressing down too hard as you write? Even with a ballpoint, many people seem to press harder than they really need to; some can be pretty smooth if you let them be. As airmech said, a fountain pen needs very little pressure, and can be smoother, much smoother actually. Or if you're not ready to try a fountain pen, good rollerballs also need very little pressure. Something like a Pilot G2, or a Uniball Vision would be good to try. If you have a rollerball, or maybe even a felt tip pen already at home, try writing with it for a while, keeping some of the other advice above in mind.

A handwriting class might be fun, or you can get style sheets on line and practice on your own. Either way, a lot of what you do will have to be just sitting down and writing, whether it's formal exercises, getting your ideas on paper, keeping a journal, or sending actual letters.

Don't get discouraged because your writing doesn't live up to some ideal. Try for basic legibility and consistency. You can always improve from there if it's important to you.

Last edited:
I use a combination of thumb and finger movements my arm only moves to move the pen over to the right as I write. I never learned Cursive the system tried to force me to learn it but I could never read it so I refused to learn it. I hold my pen or pencil in the most common fashion as seen in figure 1. I have been told I grip the pen or pencil in a whiteknuckle death grip.

Top Bottom