What's new

Pilot E95s for Christmas

This is not my picture. My wife's pen is wrapped for Christmas.

My wife has not had a nice pen, so I set about trying to find her a good one that didn't cost both arms and legs. I looked at Shaeffer, but they are now made in China. I looked at Parker, but the quality of the Parker pens since they were bought out some years back is lacking. I had a Waterman Phineas or something similar for many years and I looked at Waterman, but the price was too high and I didn't like the way they wrote. Then, I stumbled upon a review of a Pilot Elite 95s. I thought it was the most beautiful, most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, pen I have ever seen. I was going to order one online, but then I found out that there are such things as fountain pen stores nowadays. Who knew? There is one close to me, so I went over and when I saw the pen in person, it was even better than I hoped. I like Pilot pens anyway, as they always write well. Well, when I picked up the pen and started to write angels began to sing and a glorious golden light filled the air. Well, that didn't happen, but the pen was so smooth it was like writing with butter. My Waterman could never match this pen! It was simply fantastic. It was so good, I asked my wife to buy me a black one.

Now, let me say something about size. I have big, thick hands. Pilot makes a pen for me, but it costs as much as a motorcycle over here. This E95s is short, like pocket sized. However, when it is posted (cap put on the back) it is so perfect in size and so light in weight it makes me want to write something. Also, the shape of the pen fits even my big hands when writing.

This is a very nice pen and in my mind nicer than a lot of high end pens I tried while in the shop.

Anybody else have love for this pen?

My wife has not had a nice pen, so I set about trying to find her a good one that didn't cost both arms and legs. I looked at Shaeffer, but they are now made in China. I looked at Parker, but the quality of the Parker pens since they were bought out some years back is lacking. I had a Waterman Phineas or something similar for many years and I looked at Waterman, but the price was too high and I didn't like the way they wrote. Then, I stumbled upon a review of a Pilot Elite 95s. I thought it was the most beautiful, most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, pen I have ever seen. I was going to order one online, but then I found out that there are such things as fountain pen stores nowadays. Who knew? There is one close to me, so I went over and when I saw the pen in person, it was even better than I hoped. I like Pilot pens anyway, as they always write well. Well, when I picked up the pen and started to write angels began to sing and a glorious golden light filled the air. Well, that didn't happen, but the pen was so smooth it was like writing with butter. My Waterman could never match this pen! It was simply fantastic. It was so good, I asked my wife to buy me a black one.

Now, let me say something about size. I have big, thick hands. Pilot makes a pen for me, but it costs as much as a motorcycle over here. This E95s is short, like pocket sized. However, when it is posted (cap put on the back) it is so perfect in size and so light in weight it makes me want to write something. Also, the shape of the pen fits even my big hands when writing.

This is a very nice pen and in my mind nicer than a lot of high end pens I tried while in the shop.

I do not own a Pilot E95s, but I have had my eye on one for quite some time. One of these days..........

I do not own a Pilot E95s, but I have had my eye on one for quite some time. One of these days..........
My wife bought me a black one for Christmas, not knowing I had gotten her one. She just heard another guy and me talking. Anyway, I snuck it out of the package and have been practicing my penmanship (pretty poor). I used Pilot ink. I have to say, after having written with both pens, this is the smoothest writing pen of any kind that I have ever used.

Here is my pen:

Last edited:
My wife bought me a black one for Christmas, not knowing I had gotten her one. She just heard another guy and me talking. Anyway, I snuck it out of the package and have been practicing my penmanship (pretty poor). I used Pilot ink. I have to say, after having written with both pens, this is the smoothest writing pen of any kind that I have ever used.

Here is my pen:
Very nice indeed! I have been working on my penmanship ever since I started with fountain pens a few years ago. I can say that at 51 years old and having to relearn to write with my non-dominant hand, my cursive writing is the best it has ever been. I enjoy writing, keeping journal etc etc. I keep notes in a notebook not on my phone anymore and I enjoy it tremendously. I wetn to my first pen shop this past summer and it was really cool. Got my wife into fountain pens and now she only used them as well. She went all in and got herself 2 Franklin-Christoph pens. We live in Raleigh, NC so we have to support our local companies. It is just a neat hobby, but filled with AD traps as well.

I have a couple of the original, vintage Pilot Elite pens upon which the E95s is based. The black one (below) has a soft fine nib, the other (I've seen them called "Newton") has a regular fine nib. The soft fine nib really does have a bit more give to it which I like.

2023-10-13 18.15.35-1.jpg

Nice.

Which nib did you get?...and I'm wondering how it writes compared to the Metropolitan? (You don't say that you own both, but I'm hoping someone here does. 🙂)

Nice.

Which nib did you get?...and I'm wondering how it writes compared to the Metropolitan? (You don't say that you own both, but I'm hoping someone here does. 🙂)
I got the E95S also. I tried the MR of which the Metropolitan is on iteration. It was very nice and that metal body is attractive. The E95S fit me better and was a little smoother (if you can imagine that!). The Metro is on my list of pens to consider next.

I got the E95S also. I tried the MR of which the Metropolitan is on iteration. It was very nice and that metal body is attractive. The E95S fit me better and was a little smoother (if you can imagine that!). The Metro is on my list of pens to consider next.

I'm intrigued by the E95S as a "next-level" pen addition to my current small collection. I've already got a Lamy Al-Star (M) and Safari (F), a TWSBI Eco and Diamond 580AL (both M), and pilot Metro (M).

I write with a heavy hand and my penmanship is average (not small), and love the TWSB pens and the feel of the medium nibs. The Al-Star medium is also very nice but not quite as smooth to me (compared to the TWSBI medium), and the fine Safari is a bit scratchy in my hand. The medium Metro is a nice, solid pen that writes very smoothly and a great value but a bit too wet for my liking.

It's tough to decide which nib in the E95S would suit me when buying on-line. If the medium E95S is similar to the Metro, I would probably take a chance on the F nib hoping it was not as wet, but still smoother than the Lamy and TWSBI fine nibs.

Does any of that make sense? 😄😄😄

I'm intrigued by the E95S as a "next-level" pen addition to my current small collection. I've already got a Lamy Al-Star (M) and Safari (F), a TWSBI Eco and Diamond 580AL (both M), and pilot Metro (M).

I write with a heavy hand and my penmanship is average (not small), and love the TWSB pens and the feel of the medium nibs. The Al-Star medium is also very nice but not quite as smooth to me (compared to the TWSBI medium), and the fine Safari is a bit scratchy in my hand. The medium Metro is a nice, solid pen that writes very smoothly and a great value but a bit too wet for my liking.

It's tough to decide which nib in the E95S would suit me when buying on-line. If the medium E95S is similar to the Metro, I would probably take a chance on the F nib hoping it was not as wet, but still smoother than the Lamy and TWSBI fine nibs.

Does any of that make sense? 😄😄😄
The Pilot nibs run a bit narrower than the Western nibs. My medium E95s nib is a little narrower than TWSBI or Lamy medium, closer to their fine, but not exactly. That Pilot Metropolitan (MR) is a really smooth pen and the E95S is smoother still, with its 14k gold nib. The converter doesn't hold as much ink as the TWSBI, but it takes Pilot cartridges, too. Beautiful and wonderful pen.

The Pilot nibs run a bit narrower than the Western nibs. My medium E95s nib is a little narrower than TWSBI or Lamy medium, closer to their fine, but not exactly. That Pilot Metropolitan (MR) is a really smooth pen and the E95S is smoother still, with its 14k gold nib. The converter doesn't hold as much ink as the TWSBI, but it takes Pilot cartridges, too. Beautiful and wonderful pen.

Thanks. Sounds like the M would be a good fit for me.

An E95s will probably be my next pen. For some reason I thought they were small like a Kaweco Sport. I saw one at the stationery shop yesterday and was surprised how big it actually is.

Top Bottom