What's new

Hints And Tips Requested In Purchasing A Parker 51 In The Second Hand Market

Hello Gentlemen

I will be acquiring my first fountain pen to begin a small collection. I have the urge to write, keep a journal and other pleasures that only a real pen can provide. Much like my love for vintage razors and the (to me) enhanced shaving experience they give, I feel a well-regarded vintage pen will greatly enhance my writing journey.

I would like to get a Parker 51 as my first pen. I am aware it is a classic, some sources claiming it is the finest fountain pen ever made.

I am seeing some 51's on a certain auction site, from very reputable sellers with satisfaction rates of 99-100% offering 51's at around the £70 mark. Obviously these are not the most desirable or rare sub-types, which easliy go for three or four figures.

So what should I be looking for, in terms of age, variant, condition, etc? I would like to purchase one for around the £70-£80 mark, and any guidance would be most appreciated.

Also any insights into the history and production models of the 51 would be very helpful.

Here is an example I am looking at

Parker 51 Fountain Pen in Teal Blue with Lustaloy Cap and Chrome Trim: Excellent | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235448969615?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230811123856%26meid%3D3f672e4c7f1944aa960e6fc7a92f7c85%26pid%3D101770%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D235448969615%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2%26brand%3DParker&_trksid=p4375194.c101770.m146925&_trkparms=parentrq%3A1c54300e18e0ab8e1eac3d6fffff50cc%7Cpageci%3Aac24943e-dd04-11ee-b576-d2b9daad0fae%7Ciid%3A1%7Cvlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Oh, and if you think a 51 is a terrible choice for a beginners pen, please comment. I can handle it.

Thoughts and observations most welcomed.

Thanks as always Gents!

Last edited:
The Parker 51 is certainly a great and loved pen and seen by many as the best of the best. I will at some point get one. I do have a Parker 45 that I love though. I have no issues with getting the Parker 51, but you might want to at least get a second pen that is less costly along with it that you can learn on, since it is your first fountain pen. You could even get like a Parker Jotter/VFM or something like that if you want to stay with Parker.

A recommendation I have on inks also is to stick with the more standard inks in the Parker 51. Use like Parker, Lamy, Pelikan, Waterman or something similar ink in it. These inks are considered safe even in vintage pens. "Fancy" inks like shimmering, sheening, pigmented etc I would stay away from in those.

I’ve wanted a 51 but never pulled the trigger. For a first pen I’d recommend a new Pelikan 200 series from a vendor that makes sure it works well. Haven’t been by in a while but there was.is a friendly forum — fountain pen network. There used to be a vendor that specialized in vintage Parker and others. Can’t remember his name though.

The 51 is the cockroach of fountain pens; they will be arouund and still writing long after life vanishes from the planet. I have bought and restored several over the years, and am always amazed at the absolute genius of the design. Even if they haven't been used in decades, and the ink has dried up in them, a quick soak and they are writing again.

There are a couple of things to be aware of. As menitoned above, the collector means that the type of ink you choose is limited: no sheeners or, god forbid, inks with sparkles. Secondly, changing inks is not straightforward, so mostly just refilling the same colour is the way to go. Getting one completely clean without disassembly requires multiple flush cycles. On that note, disassembly is not straightforward, but on the plus side, if you do try it and it goes wrong, parts are plentiful and mostly reasonably priced.

As to what to buy. Pick one that appeals to you. They vary in design and materials, but they all write the same. There is no functional difference between the octanium and gold nibs in my experience. There is a great page on the different models here: Parker Penography: PARKER 51 - https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

For vendors in the UK, I can recommend Barry at Heitage Collectables: Parker 51 | HERITAGE COLLECTABLES – FULLY RESTORED VINTAGE WRITING INSTRUMENTS - http://www.heritagecollectables.com/heritage-collectables/parker/parker-51/

Happy to answer any more specific questions.

I own a NOS 51 (FP & Pencil), it was a PIF/GIFT from someone after the 2013 Sabbatical. It is an amazing pen, that I have put to use as the first owner.

As for 1st pen, it does take some experience to use the Sac to refill ink, vs using a blunt syringe or cartridge.

With regards to purchasing one, I would not go the eBay route, unless it's a Vendor account. I would purchase from a reputable pen dealer to make sure you don't get shafted.

Pics as it arrived to me. It has been in long use since then.

1709921653762.png

1709921665908.png

1709921673206.png

Last edited:
The 51 is the cockroach of fountain pens; they will be arouund and still writing long after life vanishes from the planet. I have bought and restored several over the years, and am always amazed at the absolute genius of the design. Even if they haven't been used in decades, and the ink has dried up in them, a quick soak and they are writing again.

There are a couple of things to be aware of. As menitoned above, the collector means that the type of ink you choose is limited: no sheeners or, god forbid, inks with sparkles. Secondly, changing inks is not straightforward, so mostly just refilling the same colour is the way to go. Getting one completely clean without disassembly requires multiple flush cycles. On that note, disassembly is not straightforward, but on the plus side, if you do try it and it goes wrong, parts are plentiful and mostly reasonably priced.

As to what to buy. Pick one that appeals to you. They vary in design and materials, but they all write the same. There is no functional difference between the octanium and gold nibs in my experience. There is a great page on the different models here: Parker Penography: PARKER 51 - https://parkerpens.net/parker51.html

For vendors in the UK, I can recommend Barry at Heitage Collectables: Parker 51 | HERITAGE COLLECTABLES – FULLY RESTORED VINTAGE WRITING INSTRUMENTS - http://www.heritagecollectables.com/heritage-collectables/parker/parker-51/

Happy to answer any more specific questions.
Deeply appreciate the detailed response @silverlifter very much appreciated!
I have a quick question, with apologies to @Alum Ladd for junking up his thread:
You go right ahead Joe, I am learning the technical fine detail of these legendary pens with some speed, although I have been aware of their existence for decades.

Oddly I can pinpoint it. In 1979 I first read James Jones' epic novel From Here To Eternity, set in 1940-1 Hawaii. Joe DeMaggio's appointed legal representative at his court martial is a newly minted, green 2nd lieutenant straight from the mainland. He is described as using "his new Parker 51" in writing notes for his fruitless case for the defence.

It stuck in my mind as something that must have been very special for Jones to have noted it so precisely.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If it were me I would get a "51" Vacumatic filler. Not the first year, but the blue diamond '42-'47 without the double jewels. The Aerometric bladder is probably more long-lasting but the Vac is usually a nicer pen. Make sure the diaphragm is good, the gold nib is correct, and I'd look for a gold cap. The lustraloy never did it for me. Actually, the "51" as a whole never was a hit with me but my brother loved them.

That may be a tall order and I've no idea about the price. I only have one, my grandfather's keepsake (lustraloy "51" Special) because I really prefer the earlier regular Vacumatic open nib pens from the 30's and 40's.

I assume you've read parker51.com through and through. @Alum Ladd

What is the preferred ink to use? Mont Blanc, Waterman?

What paper? Are there recommended outlets which offer journals, notebooks, stationary with a high quality paper to do these pens justice?

I have physically forgotten how to write it seems. All my writing is on here, via a keyboard. I used a fountain pen in school and up to my early 20's and I recently found some old diary entries from decades ago. I was aghast at how my penmanship had deteriorated over the years.

I have not written a letter for decades. That's appalling. To actually get a letter in the mail instead of a bill or some moody official piece of threatening paper! Wonderful.

To keep my mind and imagination alive, to maybe keep a journal and for other things I would like to re-claim my writing skills. I was never tought a specific writing technique at school as far as I recall, but I wish to learn.

Much like shaving, the use of a nice vintage or indeed modern pen would stimulate my interest and improve technique.

I see a modern ball point or the like as analogous to a disposable or the latest cart. Deeply unsatisfying and with no stimulus to improve.

I'm interested in the Parker 51 because it has wonderful functionality and a superb style, much like a Super Speed. It appeals to that deep seated sense of appreciation for vintage tools which many of you are aware of in my shaving preferences.

It sucks the joy out of it I suppose.

Last edited:
There is no difference between an Aerometic filler and a Vac as far as use goes, and the Aero will not need a new diaphragm all the time (I've had them go bad even with the pen never filled).

Either is fine, but sadly the days of picking up a good condition "51" off eBay for a song appear to be over. Parker stopped counting a 4 million, the will be around for a long time since they are acrylic, not celluloid.

Main thing to consider is nib width -- I'm fond of accountant or extra fine nibs, and those are the least common.

I haven't counted lately, but probably have 15 or so I've picked up in lots or cheap over the last 18 years. My favorite, and the one I'm usually using these days, is a third quarter 1945 Vac with a very battered cap and an extra fine nib. One of the best writing pens I own, although I really prefer Sheaffer nibs. Reminds me, I need to fill it tonight, it's running dry.

What is the preferred ink to use? Mont Blanc, Waterman?

Waterman Serenity Blue is the standard ink that pen repairers and nib grinders use to test pens, and for good reason,

If your pen writes wet, and you'd like a little less flow, Pelikan inks are generally drier. If you want a dry nib to write a little wetter, Pilot's Iroshizuku line will fit the bill. If you stick to the inks of the large pen makers, you'll be fine as a rule. If you want something a little more permanent, Platinum Blue Black is a mild iron gall. I also run Montblanc, Diamine, Akkerman and KWZ iron galls through my vintage pens with no issues; just be more cognizant of them not drying out (which is not an issue with the 51).

Top Bottom