What's new

Advice on my choices for a starter set.

So I finally got a little luck in my life. Thanks to one of the manufacturers we deal with at work I ended up actually winning a $50 gift card. Instead of paying a bill or part of a bill I have decided to take this found money and get me something finally. The bills can wait they are not due for 2 weeks anyway.

I was checking out the reference page on pens and inks I also checked out some of the vendors that support/ get supported through the site. I think I will be using Goulet Pen Company for my purchase. Here is what I came up with and why I picked them.

Lamy Safari: basically I like the way it looks, decent reviews about it and fits kinda in my budget.

Diamine Oxblood ink: Red is my favorite colour and I really like the review I seen and how the colour looks. Although i will eventually add a blue/ black or something similar. Ok let's face it I have a thing for colours and pens so a rainbow of colours will be in my future.

Clairfontaine Clothbound Notebook - Red (of course), mostly for doodling and practicing to use the pen.

Yes a little out of my budget but a friend said they would cover the little extra difference. So what do you think about my choices? Any changes that you would make or suggest? Maybe something I may have missed in the reference page? I really am into the way something looks I'm into more modern/ artsy products.

Last edited:
I don't have a Lamy, but they seem to get good review. Oxblood gets a nod from me, I tried it and really liked.As for paper, I bought a sample pack of the pocket notebooks, and it had Clairfontaine, as well as Rhodia, personally I thought the Rhodia was a smoother papaer than the Clairfontaine.
Just my opinion.
regards,
Bil

I would say save some money and get a Pilot Metropolitan. That will leave more cash left over for another bottle or two of ink. The Pilot is a nicer writer, imo.

-Andy

Pure, did you want paper, you dont need it of course but some people like to have a nice notepad also,

Andy's suggestion is a great one, lots love their metro, and would leave more room for a couple bottles of ink

Could suggest alternatives, definitely, but at some point you just need to go for it. There's nothing wrong with any of your selections, and Clairefontaine is my own favorite paper. Only one other thing, perhaps you are already aware of this and were just taking it for granted in your post, but I believe you'll have to buy the converter for your Lamy separately if you want to use bottled ink with it. Don't forget to order one if that's the pen that you get.

I don't have a Lamy, but they seem to get good review. Oxblood gets a nod from me, I tried it and really liked.As for paper, I bought a sample pack of the pocket notebooks, and it had Clairfontaine, as well as Rhodia, personally I thought the Rhodia was a smoother papaer than the Clairfontaine.
Just my opinion.
regards,
Bil

Yeah I keep reading a lot of good for both types of paper. Again I am a sucker for appearances and like the look of the Clairefontaine better.

I would say save some money and get a Pilot Metropolitan. That will leave more cash left over for another bottle or two of ink. The Pilot is a nicer writer, imo.

-Andy

I was looking at the Metropolitan just not sure it's for me. Looks to fancy for the likes of me. I know a dumb statement but I want something that I like to look at as well as use. Although having money left over to be able to get another bottle of ink in the future is a good incentive. Thank you for the suggestion, I am seriously considering it. How long does a bottle ink last? Not that I will be using the pen constantly maybe a little each day. I would hate to have all these supplies and find out me and nibs just don't get along.

Pure, did you want paper, you dont need it of course but some people like to have a nice notepad also,

Andy's suggestion is a great one, lots love their metro, and would leave more room for a couple bottles of ink

I will need paper anyway to practice and just mess around with the pen. Besides I need to start some kind of journal for health reasons. So why not order it with the pen.

Could suggest alternatives, definitely, but at some point you just need to go for it. There's nothing wrong with any of your selections, and Clairefontaine is my own favorite paper. Only one other thing, perhaps you are already aware of this and were just taking it for granted in your post, but I believe you'll have to buy the converter for your Lamy separately if you want to use bottled ink with it. Don't forget to order one if that's the pen that you get.

I saw I need to buy the converter and actually when you order on Goulet Pens it is an option when selecting the pen. I was messing around with different options of pens and paper to see how much things cost.

Thank You all for the suggestions. I do have another question, will I be able to use this pen on a daily basis (if I get the hang of using it)? I work in an auto parts store and I am constantly writing down orders (and doodling, lots of doodling). The practical part of my mind is just screaming at me to get a better ball point and some cartridges. I am trying to fight that part of my mind, it's about time I got myself a possible hobby and do something for me. Not just because it is the right thing to do.

-Andy

I came here to say the same thing. My first fountain was a Metropolitan. I am waiting to use the rest of the inks in a couple pens so I can swap out the nibs and put the stub into it. Then the metropolitan will go back to being the daily driver.

Thank You all for the suggestions. I do have another question, will I be able to use this pen on a daily basis (if I get the hang of using it)? I work in an auto parts store and I am constantly writing down orders (and doodling, lots of doodling). The practical part of my mind is just screaming at me to get a better ball point and some cartridges. I am trying to fight that part of my mind, it's about time I got myself a possible hobby and do something for me. Not just because it is the right thing to do.

As long as you like the way the pen writes there shouldn't be any issues using it daily. You MAY have some issues with those carbon copy sheets, but maybe not. You'll need to test. I've found some of those work no issues, others act like I didn't have a pen on the paper anywhere...

The Lamy's are nice pens if you like the modern look and like a light pen. And I mean LIGHT. When I tried the Safari out I had a hard time with it because it was so light. To me it was lighter than one of those cheap BIC crystal disposable pens. If you are able to get out to a brick and mortar store just to try out the different pens you may want to try that first. Either way, you'll have a blast with your new pen. Just remember, if you don't like it or get bored of it you can always buy more. :D

Welcome to the club.

Cheers,

M.

As long as you like the way the pen writes there shouldn't be any issues using it daily. You MAY have some issues with those carbon copy sheets, but maybe not. You'll need to test. I've found some of those work no issues, others act like I didn't have a pen on the paper anywhere...

The Lamy's are nice pens if you like the modern look and like a light pen. And I mean LIGHT. When I tried the Safari out I had a hard time with it because it was so light. To me it was lighter than one of those cheap BIC crystal disposable pens. If you are able to get out to a brick and mortar store just to try out the different pens you may want to try that first. Either way, you'll have a blast with your new pen. Just remember, if you don't like it or get bored of it you can always buy more. :D

Welcome to the club.

Cheers,

M.

What do you mean by carbon copy sheets?

Yeah I searched for a brick and mortar that might stock the safari and other pens but to no avail. I kinda live in a black hole. With all the people and major highways near where I live (7 major highways within 1 mile most within a couple of blocks) there really is no specialty stores. Minimum distance for any kind of decent stores is 20 miles. So I will just have to go blind on this one. I really don't like ordering online but I really have no choice in this matter.

What do you mean by carbon copy sheets?

Yeah I searched for a brick and mortar that might stock the safari and other pens but to no avail. I kinda live in a black hole. With all the people and major highways near where I live (7 major highways within 1 mile most within a couple of blocks) there really is no specialty stores. Minimum distance for any kind of decent stores is 20 miles. So I will just have to go blind on this one. I really don't like ordering online but I really have no choice in this matter.

When you're writing down orders typically (at least up here) there's the original copy, then two or three sheets underneath that are "automatically" written to when you're pressing down with the pen on the top copy. These are carbon paper sheets. If you don't know what I"m talking about then chances are you're not using them and that won't be an issue. :)

Cheers,

M.

When you're writing down orders typically (at least up here) there's the original copy, then two or three sheets underneath that are "automatically" written to when you're pressing down with the pen on the top copy. These are carbon paper sheets. If you don't know what I"m talking about then chances are you're not using them and that won't be an issue. :)

Cheers,

M.

Oh I gotcha, no what I meant about orders is taking down the info for the vehicle the customer is calling about. We then use our computers to make the actual quote or order up.

So I did some deeper digging with the paper. It seems that the Rhodia pads I was looking at actually have Clairefontaine paper in them. Not sure if they are the same type of paper but they are made by Clairefontaine.

I finally decided to just go with the Lamy Safari, it caught my eye and will not go away. Pretty much I am going with my first choices. I remember hearing people say go with your first instinct and that's what I'm going to do.

I appreciate everyone's input. It confirmed that what I looked up and researched was pretty much what my choices were. I will be making my order this weekend once I can get together with my friend.

Acquisition consultant ?
btw once you get you first pen, and truely love it (So after five minutes) dont forget to read THIS as you will be ready for your second one lol

Actually kind of, the gift card I got is only $50 he is going to give me the few extra bucks to get my stuff. If not for him I would have probably skipped the paper. As much as I would probably like to expand on my collection it will be a long, long time. As it is I'm really fighting myself to make the purchase. It is also why I gave my friend the card so I don't do something stupid like put it towards bills.

Actually kind of, the gift card I got is only $50 he is going to give me the few extra bucks to get my stuff. If not for him I would have probably skipped the paper. As much as I would probably like to expand on my collection it will be a long, long time. As it is I'm really fighting myself to make the purchase. It is also why I gave my friend the card so I don't do something stupid like put it towards bills.
Kind of like a self inflicted SWMBO, good friend to stand by you in you time of need...

And there is so many needs, more pens, paper, inks, razors, strops, hones, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, bacon, coffee, shoes, pipes, its a good thing this place is always saving us money

Kind of like a self inflicted SWMBO, good friend to stand by you in you time of need...
And there is so many needs, more pens, paper, inks, razors, strops, hones, blades, creams, soaps, brushes, bacon, coffee, shoes, pipes, its a good thing this place is always saving us money

Yeah I wish to load up on the things I want instead of the things I need. Although bacon is one expense I gladly put a few bucks away to get. Nothing like a nice slab of smoked bacon from a butcher/ market. Once all these personal things going on with me are finally over I will decide to get the things I want and not have to worry about the bills so much.

You won't be disappointed with the Safari, I have a Lamy Vista which is the same pen but transparent and I love it. I did find that I needed to write a page or two for the nib to bed in and give its best but it writes beautifully now. Nibs are also cheap and easy to replace if you want to try a different width. It's an excellent work horse.

Oxblood is a great ink, I love the colour. Please bear in mind that this is not a water-resistant ink, so don't spill anything on it.

A bottle of ink will last a long time. Diamine bottles hold 80ml, I've never measured the capacity of a Lamy converter but I estimate it to be approx .75 ml. If I'm right, you could fill your pen 106 times from one bottle.

Top Bottom