What's new

Vintage Rhodium razors value

I've got my eye on a couple of Gillette slim adjustable and Fatboy razors plated in Rhodium. The price varies greatly from other razors with original plate. How much does plating one of these razors raise its value? Assuming these are in good working order which is always a little risky. I trust at least one of he sellers, but he is asking almost twice he price of the other rhodium razors. What would be an average ballpark price for each?

There are two distinct schools of thoughts on re-plating razors.

One says any re-plate makes it a rework and devalues the razor

The other says oh... shiny.... Me likey....

I've got my eye on a couple of Gillette slim adjustable and Fatboy razors plated in Rhodium. The price varies greatly from other razors with original plate. How much does plating one of these razors raise its value? Assuming these are in good working order which is always a little risky. I trust at least one of he sellers, but he is asking almost twice he price of the other rhodium razors. What would be an average ballpark price for each?
i would pay around $75 for a rhodium fatboy

First, thanks to the mods for moving my post. I just can't finger out how to copy and paste with an iPad.

Its hard to avoid the look of a replated razor, but it might take away from the manufactured tolerance if it isn't done right. The prices for rhodium are a bit higher and I just don't know if I should.

$25 to $40 for a good condition Slim and $35 to $65 for a good Fatboy...Rhodium plate varies from 65 to 90 bucks.

First, thanks to the mods for moving my post. I just can't finger out how to copy and paste with an iPad.

Its hard to avoid the look of a replated razor, but it might take away from the manufactured tolerance if it isn't done right. The prices for rhodium are a bit higher and I just don't know if I should.
We do have the best staff in the business. :001_smile

I wouldn't worry about tolerances. Plating is extremely thin..not enough to effect the shave or fitment. Sometimes you might get a little muting of non-prominent features, but that's about it. As others have said, I wouldn't pay a premium for a replate. Maybe just a little more than the unplated price. Of course, only you can judge the value of having it already plated. It's worth whatever you'll pay for it.

Those prices seem a little low to me. I've been watching the eBay and its tough to get anyone of those for less than $60 or $70. Walked into a shave shop in my town and asked to see some vintage razors. The guy told me he can't keep them in stock. As soon as he gets a few in, someone comes in and buys all of them.

I think I know at least one of the vendors you are talking about and the razors do look great. I had a razor replated by one of the vendors and the plating is very heavy,it will never wear out in your great grandchildren's life time. With that said you have to decide if you like that look or you prefer an original vintage razor. You can get a very nice Fatboy with case for 60.00 on the BST or the bay. The prices you are being charged for a replate are least twice that. If I can get vintage I always do, to me there is something to be said about a original razor.

Rhodium is nice but value is in the eye of the beholder. My opinion is wait for a minty fatboy to come along, it might be cheaper but you need to do what you feel is best. ..

I thought I did. Bought a fatboy from the bay a while back. Shaved with it a sliced my cheek. Took a close look at the safety bar and noticed one side was slightly bent. Looked like a slant bar. I'm sure the seller didn't even notice it. So I'm thinking if someone takes the time to plate it maybe the razor will be in better shape.

Top Bottom