What's new

Vintage Razor

Hi all:

I have been adding to my vintage Gillette collection recently, and am frustrated when I see a razor I would like to purchase, and the original plastic clamshell comes with it. Of course, this bumps up the price substantially, but given the slow rate of price increase, is it worth the premium? I buy them to use every day. The plastic clamshell is irrelevant to me, and won't necessarily bring a premium until way down the road. I found a G4 gold plated Aristocrat, in great condition (not mint, used) but because it had the original packaging it sold for over $225, for a razor that on it's own would have been $125. Too bad, because the chances of finding a G4 Aristocrat in good shape are slim. I guess I fail the razor purist test.

Hello there, @rhone 🙂 Nice to meet you.

Please excuse my ignorance on these razors but do you mean the Gillette Aristocrat Slim? Essentially the gold plated Slim in the nice case? What makes me think you mean an Aristocrat Slim is that you say G4 and that would indicate 1961 fourth quarter if I'm not mistaken. Or possibly you mean the actual US Gillette Aristocrats which I have no knowledge on! 🤭 But even so, this post will apply just the same.

Assuming you are indeed talking about the Aristocrat Slim, I actually was in a similar predicament recently! I wanted a nice clean Aristocrat Slim and did not care about the long black clamshell box that this model came in. I was buying said razor to use.. not as a display razor, so I felt the box would just be adding on extra cost for something I'd have no need for which would be better in the hands of someone else. However, long story short.. thankfully someone suggested Back Roads Gold and I went with a re-plated one from them and I'm very glad I did.

I honestly can no speak highly enough about my experiences, both the service and the razor could not have been better. It looks like a new razor. In fact, probably better than new.. the plating was perfect. I have bought re-plated razors from other businesses also and the difference between them is quite substantial even to my eyes. The one from BRG is in a different league.. the finish is impeccable. From my understanding it's a lot thicker than what Gillette would use back in the old days.

I can't remember the price but it really wasn't that expensive.. I think it worked out about £100 in my money before shipping etc. Which seems to work out around $130.

You may already know if this store but I just thought I would mention as you mention $125 as the lower price.. it seems around what you could buy a beautiful, freshly re-plated one from BRG for that price if you watch the Etsy store. There is none on at the moment but I expect there will be more razors listed soon as there have not been any in a couple of weeks.. I've been checking daily.

Or of course, if you pick up an inexpensive Aristocrat razor you could send it to Chris at Back Roads Gold to get it tuned up and re-plated. I think this is quite reasonable to do also.

I just thought if you're in same situation as me, wanting a razor to use and not a museum piece, then in my opinion, you can't do better than getting one from Back Roads Gold. Unless maybe for some reason you were opposed to re-plating and had your heart set on original plating. But I just thought I would share my experiences anyways.

If you do wish to consider this path, keep an eye on the Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BackRoadsGold

I have seen multiple Aristocrat Slims listed over the past few months besides my own. As well as lots of other beautiful vintage Gillette models.

Anyways, best wishes and good luck with your search! 😎

+1! The point is that you are in the ‘user’ category (like me), not in the ‘collector’ category.
I got a prewar Gillette Tech I am quite fond of. It avails me the chance to try super-sharp blades like the Nacet that I would never touch otherwise. It shaves great, but the cosmetics are sort of ugly. Thinking about having it replated.

But yeah, the older I get the less inclined I am to "collect" things. I'd rather enjoy them while I am still around.

Of course if people get enjoyment from collecting and displaying their items, more power to them, but that's not me anymore. A number of years ago I gave away my large comic book collection to someone that could treasure them more than I would now. I still like reading comics from time to time, but it's all on my tablet and borrowed electronically from my local library.

Hello there, @rhone 🙂 Nice to meet you.

Please excuse my ignorance on these razors but do you mean the Gillette Aristocrat Slim? Essentially the gold plated Slim in the nice case? What makes me think you mean an Aristocrat Slim is that you say G4 and that would indicate 1961 fourth quarter if I'm not mistaken. Or possibly you mean the actual US Gillette Aristocrats which I have no knowledge on! 🤭 But even so, this post will apply just the same.

Assuming you are indeed talking about the Aristocrat Slim, I actually was in a similar predicament recently! I wanted a nice clean Aristocrat Slim and did not care about the long black clamshell box that this model came in. I was buying said razor to use.. not as a display razor, so I felt the box would just be adding on extra cost for something I'd have no need for which would be better in the hands of someone else. However, long story short.. thankfully someone suggested Back Roads Gold and I went with a re-plated one from them and I'm very glad I did.

I honestly can no speak highly enough about my experiences, both the service and the razor could not have been better. It looks like a new razor. In fact, probably better than new.. the plating was perfect. I have bought re-plated razors from other businesses also and the difference between them is quite substantial even to my eyes. The one from BRG is in a different league.. the finish is impeccable. From my understanding it's a lot thicker than what Gillette would use back in the old days.

I can't remember the price but it really wasn't that expensive.. I think it worked out about £100 in my money before shipping etc. Which seems to work out around $130.

You may already know if this store but I just thought I would mention as you mention $125 as the lower price.. it seems around what you could buy a beautiful, freshly re-plated one from BRG for that price if you watch the Etsy store. There is none on at the moment but I expect there will be more razors listed soon as there have not been any in a couple of weeks.. I've been checking daily.

Or of course, if you pick up an inexpensive Aristocrat razor you could send it to Chris at Back Roads Gold to get it tuned up and re-plated. I think this is quite reasonable to do also.

I just thought if you're in same situation as me, wanting a razor to use and not a museum piece, then in my opinion, you can't do better than getting one from Back Roads Gold. Unless maybe for some reason you were opposed to re-plating and had your heart set on original plating. But I just thought I would share my experiences anyways.

If you do wish to consider this path, keep an eye on the Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BackRoadsGold

I have seen multiple Aristocrat Slims listed over the past few months besides my own. As well as lots of other beautiful vintage Gillette models.

Anyways, best wishes and good luck with your search! 😎
wow thanks for your help!!

Well I have friend who is collector of things, his rule of thumb is to find best example, and condition. He is big time into postage stamps, 1900-2000, everything he has is Mint, Uncirculated, and store in air & dust proof cases. Cases are in Safe, seldom se light of day.

Guess you could do that with Razor go for best of a Type, but to me a Razor is too be used, it can still be taken care of to maintain good condition.

Top Bottom