What's new

Chubby 2 Question

I am still on my brush buying binge and have decided on a Chubby 2. Question is, which one? Should I get it in best or 2 band?

I will use it strictly for face lathering soaps. I do not like scritch at all but scrub is ok. I just got a Rooney Heritage Stubby 3xl which is 2 band (working to get rid of the scritch by palm lathering) and have a Duke 2 in best on its way. Also have a exact copy of the RV 2012 B&B in a two band Golden Nib knot which is my favorite brush.

Any help you fine gentlemen can give me would be greatly appreciated.

If you want soft hair, I would go with either three band super or two band. The three band is soft, scrubby and über dense. The the two band will offer really soft tips and is a tad less dense. Either would be a great choice for face lathering. The "best" hair is also a good choice, but it will not be as soft on the face. I personally find it very scritchy.

I also think your choices are the Super 3-band and the Super 2-band. The 3-band will have more scrub and a slightly bigger bloom - and maybe a touch of scritch; the 2-band will have no scritch at all and a nice solid scrub. I think the Chubby-2 bands are the best all-around brushes on the market; they do everything well.

+1
I also think your choices are the Super 3-band and the Super 2-band. The 3-band will have more scrub and a slightly bigger bloom - and maybe a touch of scritch; the 2-band will have no scritch at all and a nice solid scrub. I think the Chubby-2 bands are the best all-around brushes on the market; they do everything well.

I don't consider my Chubby 2 in Best to be scritchy at all, however YMMV, as always. I do have a Chubby 1 two band and that brush is just unbelievably soft. I love it. But I love my Chubby 2 in Best as well.

I would not consider Chubby 2 in Super 3-band. I think Simpsons 3-band is not an improvement over their brushes in best. I had one and felt very let down. I would go with Chubby 2 in best, b/c in 2-band, if you get it new from Simpsons direct, it may cost about $270-$300!! I love mine in 2-band, but I did not pay near that kind of money for it. That said, all of my Simpsons in best are great brushes.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dan, if you have a Duke 2 arriving you'll quickly see how Simpsons Best grade of hair performs and feels on the skin. I personally love it and, of course, love my mighty Chubby 2 Best!

I would go with the 2 band first and the Best as a second choice.
It's a bit of a gamble to get the 3 band Super. You might get a brush with uber soft tips, and you might get a brush with more scritch than a Chubby in Best. For the money you're paying it's not worth the risk to me.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
+1 to vocalistbob and german. I have Chubby 2s in both Best and Super 2-band. They're both great brushes. But the one in Best -- and I have a VERY nice one -- has some scritch (at least it does for me), whereas the Super 2 is something like plushly scrubby, with no hint of scritch. My hat size is 7 1/4, I think, and my face fairly thin with fine, angular features. I personally wouldn't go for a Chubby 3. The Chubby 2 is larger than ideal for me in terms of control, but it's a brush worth having.

Good luck.

Dan, if you have a Duke 2 arriving you'll quickly see how Simpsons Best grade of hair performs and feels on the skin. I personally love it and, of course, love my mighty Chubby 2 Best!
I have a Commodore X2 in best and it is the densest, scrubbiest (I think I may have just made up a word!, at least my iphone thinks so), brush I own. That thing has backbone to spare. It does not have a hint of scritch. I know this description of a Commodore X2 may raise some eyebrows because they don't have the reputation I have described but I'm thinking I got an exceptional one.

I really appreciate all the advise you guys have given. The descriptions you have provided are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! And of course more comments are welcome.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have a Commodore X2 in best and it is the densest, scrubbiest (I think I may have just made up a word!, at least my iphone thinks so), brush I own. That thing has backbone to spare. It does not have a hint of scritch. I know this description of a Commodore X2 may raise some eyebrows because they don't have the reputation I have described but I'm thinking I got an exceptional one.

I really appreciate all the advise you guys have given. The descriptions you have provided are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! And of course more comments are welcome.

Dan, after you try a Chubby 2 (any grade of hair), your Commodore X2 will appear almost floppy...

Interesting, I just tried out my new Duke 2 for the first time. I think I am going to really like this brush. The interesting thing is that my Commodore X2 is more dense and has a lot more backbone. Could be because the Commodore has a very pronounced bulb shape while the Duke is more of a fan.

In the pictures I have seen of the Chubby brushes the Best knots appear to be shaped like the Duke while the 2 band ones appear more bulb shaped. Is this correct?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dan, two band Supers tend to have a clear bulb shape while the Best and three band Supers can either be fan or bulb shaped. The shape of the knot, however, has nothing to do with backbone, which essentially depends on how much densely packed the knot is. That said, the Chubbies are the densest brushes Simpson makes and for that reason have a LOT of backbone. I think you should try one before pulling the trigger and really hope this can help.

I have a bias for 2 bands....:blush:
$IMG_1074.jpg$IMG_0858.jpg

I love the looks of 2 band brushes. Don't know why I just do. Well, I ordered a chubby 2 in best last night from Bullgoose. I will try that out and let you guys know what I think. I figured with the price difference between the best and 2 band I can look into a Thater 2 band. But that will be a new thread. (When does SBAD stop???)

The Thäter is an excellent choice... As far as the Chubby goes I believe the Chubby in 2 Band has it all... soft tips, nice backbone... good flow through ...
And, yes, SBAD never stops... :blush:

View attachment 307930

I love the looks of 2 band brushes. Don't know why I just do. Well, I ordered a chubby 2 in best last night from Bullgoose. I will try that out and let you guys know what I think. I figured with the price difference between the best and 2 band I can look into a Thater 2 band. But that will be a new thread. (When does SBAD stop???)

Top Bottom