What's new

New Shavemac in Honor of the Configurator Closing

Yeah the B&B member I bought it from said it was a one off from Shavemac with 3 band (silvertip?) that he purchased from the St. Sue auction. My point is, isn't a D01 2 or 3 band supposed to have more backbone than a 2 or 3 band silvertip? Like significantly more? That's kind of what I was expecting and I'm not seeing or feeling it.

Last edited:
2 band will definitely have more. Sorry not tried the D01 3 band but imagine you are right. Shavemac used to have charts comparing all the knots but they are gone now.
Yeah I should have saved pics of those charts but I didn't think he'd remove them from the site. Not sure why he'd remove such a valuable resource. That makes no sense.

Yeah the B&B member I bought it from said it was a one off from Shavemac with 3 band (silvertip?) that he purchased from the St. Sue auction.
All the Shavemac knots, barring the Pure, are Silvertips.
My point is, isn't a D01 2 or 3 band supposed to have more backbone than a 2 or 3 band silvertip?
The D01 3-Band has significantly less backbone than the D01 2-Band (also less than the Silvertip 2-Band).
Like significantly more?
The D01 2-Band has "backbone on steroids."

All the Shavemac knots, barring the Pure, are Silvertips.

The D01 3-Band has significantly less backbone than the D01 2-Band (also less than the Silvertip 2-Band).

The D01 2-Band has "backbone on steroids."
That explains why my Shavemac 2 band seems to have more backbone than the D01 3 band. I never really cared for even the 2 band as it seems too floppy. It was around that time I bought that Shavemac when I started using boars almost exclusively for years. This past year I bought a bunch of Badgers during the annual Badgerary thread here. Some of my favorites are the cheaper pure knots like the Eagle G1. Even the Semogue ones for line $20 I like. I have a few more upscale ones and they are nice and firm (That Darn Rob, Chisel & Hound, Trotter etc.) one of the best bang off the buck badgers for me is the Stirling Finest. For around $33 it's got plenty of density and backbone, seemingly more than either of my Shavemacs but that is likely due to it being s larger knot. But that can't be the main reason as the Eagle G1 is a smaller knot and it's got plenty of backbone.

Top Bottom