What's new

Got one picked. $50 budget

Thinking about getting the EJ 1ej946sds Best Badger hair brush med size. I'm not seeing any users for this brush and was hoping to get feedback. I'm on a 50 dollar budget perhaps someone can make a recommendation based off that?

I'm new at the brush lathering and wanted to learn to use a bowl and face as well.

I enjoyed my EJ Best medium size, but if you're really looking for a great experience (and excess bang for the buck) pick up the Semogue Owners Club boar brush with another goody and you'll probably be under budget.

Ok I just saw a Case C1 Simpson in the same range, I was wondering if it might be too small?

I have a case and like it a lot. It is very similar in size to a Duke 1.

It is a fantastic face lathering brush but it is a little to small to work comfortably in a lather bowl with out banging your fingers.

How do you make your lather? Face? or Bowl?

proxy.php

I regret having ever purchased my EJ Best. I could not stand how it felt on my face and the brush had next to no backbone. If that is Edwin Jagger's "Best", I would hate to see their worst. There are too many good silvertip and 2 band brushes out there for almost half as much as the EJ Best for me to recommend the EJ BBB.

Turtle, T'm just starting out this will be my first brush. I have been shaving with a DE for a while now but want to ramp up the experience. I think I'll be starting out in a bowl.

Gref, I haven't seen any silvertips for 50 dollars but thanks for the heads up on the EJ.

Turtle, T'm just starting out this will be my first brush. I have been shaving with a DE for a while now but want to ramp up the experience. I think I'll be starting out in a bowl.

If you want a Simpsons with a larger handle then look at the Berkley in best (not pure)

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpsons-Berkeley-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush-46B_p_544.html

It will have a large enough handle to be comfortable in a bowl.

You should grab some shave sticks as they will be the easiest for you to build a lather with. Stop into the shave stick brotherhood thread to get some opinions on different shave sticks to try http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321719-Shave-Stick-Brotherhood-SSB

If you want a Simpsons with a larger handle then look at the Berkley in best (not pure)

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Simpsons-Berkeley-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush-46B_p_544.html

It will have a large enough handle to be comfortable in a bowl.

You should grab some shave sticks as they will be the easiest for you to build a lather with. Stop into the shave stick brotherhood thread to get some opinions on different shave sticks to try http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/321719-Shave-Stick-Brotherhood-SSB

Nice one! Thanks Only thing is like a lot of the items at WC momentarily are out of stock. :( Have to check around but his one seems like a winner

Hit up Larry at Whipped Dog. He can set you up with a silvertip for around $40 and you get to pick out your own handle and everything

I would consider buying both a badger brush and a boar brush at the same time.
The feel of boar and badger brushes is quite different as well as their respective effect on soaps / creams.
I bought my first brush direct from Muhle for about 30€, and I know that a good boar brush can be had for 7€ to 15€.
I think that this would provide you with more satisfaction in a greater variety of circumstances.

Hit up Larry at Whipped Dog. He can set you up with a silvertip for around $40 and you get to pick out your own handle and everything

Do you use one? what would the quality be like? I guess for those prices it's worth checking out though. Thanks!

Nice one! Thanks Only thing is like a lot of the items at WC momentarily are out of stock. :( Have to check around but his one seems like a winner

I don't own that particular model of Simpsons but I do have many that go all around it (size wise) like all 3 dukes, case, wee scot.

You can't go wrong buying any brush with the Simpsons name on it.

Do you use one? what would the quality be like? I guess for those prices it's worth checking out though. Thanks!

His handle quality varies. But that is up to you to choose. If you email Larry, he will answer any questions you have. His knots are very good actually. You can again, pick the hair grade and size. They are very full and rarely ever shed. And if for some reason, it would shed, or anything else would be wrong with it, Larry would replace it as he is a very honest person.

Larry responded now I have to make a decision now whether to drill 10 more mm to make it a little stiffer. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Ok, ordered a silvertip 30mm asked him to drill the extra 10mm to get a 45 mill loft. Cant's wait to get it should be next week!

30mm silvertip knot?! that sounds like a monster! to be honest, I have been tinkering with the idea of a bursh with similar specs. Don't forget the pics when you get it!

Top Bottom