What's new

Spacing in center of bristles?

The EJ best badger brush I’ve been using for the last 12 years has an indent in the center of the bristles. It’s kind of like if you pushed a pencil into the center of the bristles down to the handle and the spacing remained after pulling the pencil out. It gets a bit better if I shake the brush, but it’s still there. Is this normal wear and tear with time. It wasn’t always like this and I know new brushes don’t have this. I can’t imagine its hairs that have shedded as the brush hasn’t shedded much over the years.

Anyway, I suppose it’s gotten me thinking about getting a new brush. I’m looking at this Omega 621 Super Badger, but am unsure of how much of an upgrade it’d be. It’s similar in size, which I like (I didn’t care for the Omega Jade boar brush I got recently due to its huge size). What are the general opinions of Omega badger brushes?
M

IMG_2290.jpeg
IMG_2291.jpeg
IMG_2292.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg

If used frequently and perhaps vigorously for as you say,12 years, it seems to me just a case of hair loss.
I re-knotted a favorite Badger brush that that been in use for over 20 years that looked very similar to yours.

Is this normal wear and tear with time. It wasn’t always like this and I know new brushes don’t have this. I can’t imagine its hairs that have shedded as the brush hasn’t shedded much over the years.
In time, the centre hairs break due to too much pressure, often referred to as mashing, and swirling action. Try to work just the tips when lathering.

Looks like a classic doughnut hole, but maybe not too bad yet. Twelve years is quite a bit of use. If you like this brush, you may want to try putting a replacement knot in it.

This seems to be caused by putting a lot of pressure on the brush while moving it in circles. It takes time for this issue to develop.

It may be a good idea to use less pressure, and also move the brush in more back-and-forth motions. Even if you are moving in straight lines back and forth, you can still splay the bristles a bit to help develop your lather. Contrary to popular belief, this does not take away the pleasure of face lathering.

Thank you, all. This makes a lot of sense. It’s a $30 best Badger brush, do I’m fine moving onto something new. Indeed, I have done a lot of circular swirling with downward force on the face and in the bowl. I will correct that with the next brush.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I very much like my recently acquired 621 after considering a new badger brush. Works for me. Mine is in Silvertip.

Top Bottom