What's new

Black Razor Handle Renew

I thought I'd try this out and see how it wears. According to the can blurb the stuff is an incredible epoxy.
1. Strip finish with an "air earser". Tape off to avoid removing any plating. Clean well, scrub with dawn, de grease with laquer thinner, blow dry.
2. mask and spray lower, let dry 24 hours.
3. Mask and spray upper handle.
4. Bake in Toaster oven 130 degrees for a couple of hours
5. Painted numbers red because I could.
Can directions say let fully cure for a week, then we'll see how it wears.
Used pin striping masking tape because it is made to stretch. You can pick up a copy of the Pasche air earser at Harbor Frieght. Of course the real thing
probably will last longer.

Attachments

• $br1.jpg
    $br1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 355
  • $br2.jpg
    $br2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 357
  • $br3.jpg
    $br3.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 356
  • $br6.jpg
    $br6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 355
  • $br5.jpg
    $br5.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
That is fantastic. Any idea how much time you spent on it? Actual labour that is, not counting drying and curing times. By the way, how did you paint the numbers? What kind of paint and brush? That's some pretty fine detail work.

I have less than an hour and a half in the whole thing. Red paint is rust-oleum, slop it over the numbers and wipe it off with a lint free rag. (cotton t-shirt).

amazing job. it turned out very well and i've never seen anyone restore one of these.

ah crap....now i want mind done :angry:

:thumbup:

great job!!!!! looks outstanding, I have my birthyear (1970 - doh!) which is in immaculate shape, but it's nice to know if I ding it up there *is* a solution to restore it!

thanks for sharing!!!

Nice job. I've never seen a thread on this kind of restoration. I've always wondered what can be done to fix up the vintage Gillettes from the 1970's. I've got a black beauty that is my birthyear/quarter and it has the smallest little nick in the black coating on the handle. I tried using a black Sharpie.... that held up until the next time I used it. You're way looks a little more permanent. :thumbup:

Ben

Top Bottom