What's new

Fixing up a 1969 O-2 Gillette Flare Tip "Black Handle Super Speed"

I'm new to the forum. I used a brush and soap for years, but it's been within the past year that i started using DE razors. I quit brush and soap ten years ago and went with Gel or cheap aerosol shaving cream. I forgot what a great shave was until I started using a DE razor w/brush & better soaps.

I've been buying razors on Ebay. I bought a 1969 O-2 Gillette Flare Tip. I didn't pay much for it and I knew it was a ways off from "as new". Surprisingly it shaves just fine. I believe it is a "Black Handle Super Speed" per Badger & Blade's US Gillette Dating Information.
$DSCF3637.jpg$DSCF3634.jpg
The black is completely gone, it is just aluminum colored. I am thinking of refinishing the aluminum part of the handle with BROWNELLS - GUN-KOTE™ OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH which says " Prepare, clean and pre-heat your part to 100°, spray on Brownells GUN-KOTE and allow the part to dry. Bake the part in an oven at 325° for one hour and you’re done." It's a black spray on finish. The question is, are there any internal parts that can't handle 325° heat?
If it doesn't work I'm not out much! See pictures. Thanks for any help.

Nice razor!

I'm not sure about your temperature question, but most black spray paints or craft enamel paints would brush on nicely. Spray paint could be sprayed on a newspaper or something and then brushed on to the razor with a small brush. Just a thought if you don't find out about the temp question.

Cheers

The internal parts are made of brass, so there should be no problems with the temperature. I've restored a few alu-handled razors, but I always used either spray or brush when painting. When it comes to cleaning, I've found that those fibreglass pens used for electronics work very well. Good luck with your project, and make sure to post photos when it's done :)

I was gonna say, you can probably take it apart, which will allow you to clean it more thoroughly anyway, if you're concerned about the temperature causing any problems. There's a guy who does youtube videos on how to take apart various vintage razors. I know he did videos on the slim and the fatboy, so I'd be surprised to find he doesn't also have one on the super speed(which I'm guessing can't be THAT different from version to version, but what do I really know?).

Here... 2 seconds searching on google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_bM_3Ny20

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Testors modeling paints work well on razor parts. Good luck with the restore. Its always a great feeling to rescue an old razor and make it look great again.

First, Thanks to all people who replied. It gave me the confidence to try the refinish. I didn't use Brownell's product, I used "Wheeler Cerama-Coat" ("The Toughest Home Gun Finish Available"). I masked it with blue masking tape, sprayed the finish on, dried for 30 minutes, baked at 325dF for 60 minutes. Let cool and removed tape. Why didn't I remove tape before the oven, it would have been a low easier?

It came out great! It's a good looking, fully functional $ 10.00 razor that gives me a great shave. Testors makes a lot more sense than "The Toughest Home Gun Finish" but I had to try it.

Thanks to the person who told me about the YouTube videos on Gillette disassembly. I've got a 1940's Super Speed that I need to take apart.

Attachments

• $DSCF3643.jpg
    $DSCF3643.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 31
  • $DSCF3646.jpg
    $DSCF3646.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom