What's new

First Straight E shave but with a few problems

I just bought an Art of Shaving Thiers Issard Carbon shaver to start shaving. I bought at AOS because I wanted to get a feel for the razor first. The blade visually appeared ready for a shave.

I had been shaving with a DE safety razor and Feather blades for 6 months now and really like the shave. The straight razor start was very marginal to start. I felt that the blade would have a difficulty getting started on tougher sections like the chin and would catch or jump a bit. I had a hard time with ATG shaving and I nicked myself with the tip of the blade while concentrating on the center.

I don't understand how you hold the shaver appropriately when you are going up instead of down on the face.

Here are a couple of questions: Is the art of shaving razor with the TI carbon blade a decent razor? Also, I think they are supposed to come ready to shave. Should I have stropped first?

I think this has potential but I definitely need a little work. I actually did end up with a close shave but it took a while and my face is a little burned from it. I am looking forward to having a better shave sometime soon.

Thanks!

Chris

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got no idea if the AOS sell their razors shave ready or not. If it wasn't mentioned 'Shave ready' the chances are that it's not. You would need a pro to put a decent edge on it (Again, don't know if yours was sold shave ready or not, factory edge is not shave ready).

Do not expect the best shave of your life right now, this takes some time. It can take a long time. It took me around 10 shaves to get something that looked like I tried to shave. Right now, I would avoid going against the grain. I know, I know, the shave won't be close. But until you get a good shave going WTG first before going XTG. Then, when it's going well XTG, you can start thinking going ATG (but it's not for everyone).

The wiki page on the straight razor grips (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_hold_a_Straight_Razor) should help you.

To answer your question RE stropping first. You need to strop between each shave. Normally, if your razor was honed, the person who honed it would strop it also so you can use it out of the box. If that wasn't mentioned, I would strop it. I got no idea on the AOS quality as I never owned one.

Even advertised "shave ready" blades often are not.
I don't trust any blade until after I have honed it myself. Even those sold "professionally honed" are often not all that great... they simply don't have the time when having to hone up 5-20 razors every day.
I'll spend a good 1/2 hour on mine.

One of our forum members (Paco) hones razors for his local AOS.

On ATG, don't attempt it yet.
Stick with WTG, and only on the easier parts of your face.
Get used to the blade and how it feels, the angle, the pressure needed... and finish the shave with your DE.
Spend about a week covering more and more of your face, finishing the ATG and buffing with the DE.

It will take you weeks, maybe a couple of months to get really comfortable with a straight, and many months to truly master where you are getting consistent BBS without burn or blood.

Personally, being right handed:
Right hand, right side of face WTG.
Left hand, left side of face WTG.
Right hand, left side of face ATG.
Left hand, right side of face ATG.
Generally, I avoid having my hand "outside" or above the blade.
XTG passes are done hand-low, and I always draw or "pull" the blade across my face. I never "push" it ahead of my hand.

Top Bottom