What's new

Alum after a straight razor shave

I think the idea of disinfection is nuts. I understand that in order to sell you a product you first have to sell it's purpose but disinfection sounds nutso to me. I'm not trying to be flippant about it but it just seems crazy unless I'm missing something.

I just looked up the definition of disinfection - to clean (something), especially with a chemical, in order to destroy bacteria. I wash my face in the shower before my shave. I use shave soap that is more slippery than snot for 2 or 3 passes. I then exfoliate (hopefully as little as possible) my skin with those same 2 to 3 passes. I then rinse my face. I don't know how any bacteria could survive that. It sounds like adding alum would make that even worse. Over a decade of wet shaving without alum seems to indicate that I don't need it. Others may - I don't know.

I only use alum on the rare occasion I get weeper and I'm in a hurry and I want to stop the bleeding fast so I can leave the house. It's a spot treatment only.

If you want to disinfect something, disinfect the razor and do it before you shave....not your face. I used to do that with my DEs (with alcohol) and quickly stopped. I noticed no benefit.

If you want to use alum, for some specific skin condition that may be another story... But that's not my lane. In the normal course of shaving... It falls into the same category as alcohol-based aftershave - never a good idea for any objective beneficial use. Even modern shave companies that sell all kinds of snake oil like modern Gillette doesn't even sell anything for the purpose of "disinfection". It's simply an non-issue (at least to me). As always, YMMV but I'm pretty sure guys just like the "sting" for some subjective psychological benefit. The best way to heal your skin is keep in moisturized (just like any cut or laceration) - alum does exactly the opposite.
Well thanks for the oppinion. I can't say I am going to take anything from it or that I agree. For the sake of conversation I could raise a few points:

You want to desinfect a wound in order to stop the bacteria from getting into your blod flow. Infection from a wound Can be fatal. Now of course I'm not saying you will die when you cut yourself with a razor but you know... I only have one face so I'm trying to take care of it.

The bacteria that gets into the wound does not have to origin from an object that pierces the skin. It is often on the skin around the wound. So yes, desinfecting a razor does make sense. Might be an overkill though, I didn't die from nicks or cuts.

And a soap that is not specifically Made as a bacteria killer might not kill All the bacteria. Even bacteria killing soaps are saying they kill 99.9% of bacteria, not 100%. And the bacteria Can get on your skin from the razor, from the towel, etc.

I have experience with acne. And a big thing when trying to get rid of it is keeping clean bedsheets, clean towels, not touching your face during the day, not popping pimples - because of harmful bacteria.

So for me disenfecting the skin after a shave might be more of a "feels Safe" kind of thing. Alum seems to not make my skin more Happy after a shave. My favorite after shave is alcohol based, and it makes my skin even happier then a balm that Has "ultra calming and sensitive" slapped in it's name.

So yeah I Guess it's yet another thing that falls into the what works for you category.

EDIT: I have 3 aftershaves labeled anti-bacterial or with antiseptic. That means disenfecting. Bacteria free face=Happy face for me.

Well thanks for the oppinion. I can't say I am going to take anything from it or that I agree. For the sake of conversation I could raise a few points:

You want to desinfect a wound in order to stop the bacteria from getting into your blod flow. Infection from a wound Can be fatal. Now of course I'm not saying you will die when you cut yourself with a razor but you know... I only have one face so I'm trying to take care of it.

The bacteria that gets into the wound does not have to origin from an object that pierces the skin. It is often on the skin around the wound. So yes, desinfecting a razor does make sense. Might be an overkill though, I didn't die from nicks or cuts.

And a soap that is not specifically Made as a bacteria killer might not kill All the bacteria. Even bacteria killing soaps are saying they kill 99.9% of bacteria, not 100%. And the bacteria Can get on your skin from the razor, from the towel, etc.

I have experience with acne. And a big thing when trying to get rid of it is keeping clean bedsheets, clean towels, not touching your face during the day, not popping pimples - because of harmful bacteria.

So for me disenfecting the skin after a shave might be more of a "feels Safe" kind of thing. Alum seems to not make my skin more Happy after a shave. My favorite after shave is alcohol based, and it makes my skin even happier then a balm that Has "ultra calming and sensitive" slapped in it's name.

So yeah I Guess it's yet another thing that falls into the what works for you category.

EDIT: I have 3 aftershaves labeled anti-bacterial or with antiseptic. That means disenfecting. Bacteria free face=Happy face for me.
Everyone should do what works for them. Your points about infection are all superceded for me by the fact that I have zero worry about infection DURING or immediately after a shave. If I was worried, it would be BEFORE and if that was a worry I would prevent it by using a new DE blade and/or disinfecting the razor with Barbicide first.

If I was worried about acne or pimples I would use 1% or 2% salicylic acid over alcohol or alum. But like you said, your method works for you.

Last edited:
Everyone should do what works for them. Your points about infection are all superceded for me by the fact that I have zero worry about infection DURING or immediately after a shave. If I was worried it would be BEFORE and if that was a worry I would prevent it by using a new DE blade and/or disinfecting the razor with Barbicide first.

If I was worried about acne or pimples I would use 1% or 2% salicylic acid over alcohol or alum. But like you said, your method works for you.
Yeah salicylid acid is my best friend! Anyway, alum will be disqualified from my routine. After merely two shaves without it I am seeing a difference for the better.

When I was starting out I used to use alum to judge my shave- and with that I thought I was bad at shaving. Once I stopped using alum, it turns out I shaved myself pretty well. I'm just sensitive to it.

Used to use witch hazel before an alcohol splash, but haven't bought more witch hazel since I killed my last bottle and haven't missed it too much, although I haven't had a bad shave in a while. Just an alcohol splash and balm in the cooler months suffices imo.

My skin is quite sensitive and easily irritated.

I use alum after every shave. I leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse it off and use a moisturising oil. I never use alcohol based or even anything with a fragrance as aftershave.

Why?
1) It shows me how well the shave went, if it stings too much, I know either the edge was not great, or my pressure or shaving angle was wrong.
2) It feels like it tightens my skin, and closes the pores and that's a good thing when you are on the wrong side of 50 years old.

I have also had great results with using it after a shower on areas on my body that is prone to heat rash. I suspect it is because it closes the pores in your skin, which stops sweat. Bacteria loves sweaty moist environments.

As an aftershave moisturiser, I make my own mixture of a good quality vitamin E oil, diluted with about 80% sweet almond oil because the vitamin E oil can be quite sticky. I use about 4 drops, massage it into my face, get dressed and if there seems to be an excess of oil, I just wipe it of with a towel.

My skin is never oily and is more healthy and supple than ever.

I use it on my fingers if I get soap on them to get a better grip on the razor.
I used to use it after I shaved too. I don't find any reason to do that anymore.

I wash my face at the end of my shower with my facial cleanser and when I'm done my shave I apply witch hazel before the final moisturizer/balm application. I don't see the need for alum anymore. No need for alcohol based splashes either as they promote skin ageing! My skin is happy without it

I shave, splash with cold water, and Pat dry. Then I splash on as much alcohol based aftershave as I can fit in both hands. Bring on the burn. I like the old classics, and I don’t care if the wife likes it or not. We are straight razor shaving; this ain’t a yoga club.

Top Bottom