What's new

The most consecutive BBS shaves from 1 blade.

In testing my "132 blades", I've had great shaves, awful shaves and have learned that standout blades are really not that common, and that the "common herd" is really big. BBS shaves, while nice, are not all that common and, now that I'm tracking it, I am starting to believe that the average wet shaver is probably walking out of the house with a DFS over 90% of the time.

I was wondering, what blade has provided you the most consecutive BBS shaves? Are there any that simply couldn't deliver a DFS or CCS out of the wrapper?

I've managed true bbs from three separate blades. Its worth mentioning that I don't often chase such a close shave though.

I've managed with two DE blades, the Gillette Nacet, and the Personna Lab Blue.

One singe edge blade, the Personna coated Gem.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hmm, BBS isn't just about what blade you use. But familiarity and confidence in its performance does help.

I'd mostly attribute it to prep, your skin condition on the day, and whether or not your want to chase it.

For me, GSB because I used more of it than anything else. Perma Sharp and Nacet deserve a mention too.

I think I'd give the "Closest Results for the Most Shaves" award to the Personna Med Prep and the BIC Chrome Platinum. Though, it isn't just the blade that is involved, it's really a system.

For me, BBS is not really a goal. If it happens, great. Otherwise, a solid DFS+ shave is fine.

For me, BBS tends to depend as much on how good my technique was that day as on how the blade was. If a blade isn't out-of-the-packet-sharp, that's a factor in deciding not to push for a perfect finish on some of the tough yet sensitive areas below my ears, but I am more than capable of screwing things up even if the blade is fresh. I try to aim for "good enough without causing irritation". If BBS is the result it's a happy accident, and something that is rarely achieved two days in a row!

Blade likes, and dislike are rack persons choice.

People’s skin, beard, beard thickness, and groth pattern is different.

A size 10.5 shoe fits many people, but some need bigger or smaller.

We are all different.

I just finished shave 366 on a Feather Hi Stainless. I can still get a DFS from it, but it takes an extra pass or two, and extra touch up at the end. (Using a shallow angle and nearly zero pressure avoids irritation.)

Shaving with an older blade has only given me DFS results with a milder razor. It seems counterintuitive, but my more aggressive razors don’t get as close with an older blade. (I’ve had the same experience with SE razors.) My favorite mild razor is an early postwar (pre date code) Tech. Shaving with an older blade has also forced me to focus on my technique.

Disclaimers: I have mustache, so that reduces the amount of whiskers cut per shave. I also strop the blade between uses (Twinplex), and Hone it every 5-10 shaves (Allegro Sharpener).

Hmm, BBS isn't just about what blade you use. But familiarity and confidence in its performance does help.

I'd mostly attribute it to prep, your skin condition on the day, and whether or not your want to chase it.

For me, GSB because I used more of it than anything else. Perma Sharp and Nacet deserve a mention too.
Don't agree, at least not entirely. I've had some blades so rough in my life that I can't conceive of them giving a BBS shave under any circumstance. In looking back over my 47 blades to date, the following have given me at least 2 BBS shaves:
  • Asco Platinum
  • Astra Superior Platinum (Laser Marked)
  • Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile
  • Crown Super Stainless
  • Crown Platinum
  • Dollar Platinum
  • Dorco Prime Platinum
  • EMP800
  • Feather New High Stainless
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
  • Gillette Nacent

While many don't "chase" a BBS shave, I'm not really sure what that means. There are some shaves that are obviously DFS an unabashedly so, but if my shave is one where I think a little polishing will get me that BBS, I will go for it, and my test process allows me 2 polish passes before I have to call the shave done and log the results. Is that "chasing" a BBS shave, I consider that simply trying the get the best shave I can within reason.

Now, for the blades that have given me 2 or more BBS shaves with no blood during those shaves:
  • Asco Platinum
  • Bolzano Superinox Inossideabile
  • Crown-Platinum
  • Dollar Platinum
Eleven other blades had at least 1 BBS shave in them, without blood on that shave:
  • Dorco ST-301
  • Jainyu
  • Asco Super Stainless
  • Viking Sword.

Two/three BBS shaves is a row is as good as it gets, even with my ‘top-tier‘ blades. Plus, this is uncommon.

:popc::popc:
Would have agreed with you, but the Nacent currently in test just gave me #4. First time for that in my life and it did require both polish passes so tomorrow is very unlikely to be a 5th.

Would have agreed with you, but the Nacent currently in test just gave me #4. First time for that in my life and it did require both polish passes so tomorrow is very unlikely to be a 5th.

CONGRATULATIONS!! And Nacets are ’top-tier’ for me also!! :a29:

Top Bottom