What's new

I think I’m ready for my next razor

"I think I’m ready for my next razor"

I have been saying the same thing every six months for the best part of 15 years.

I understand the V3M is very M(ild). Why not try the next one up? The V3 is a copy of a DE89 style, which is still fairly mild but a little punchier than the Tech copy of the V3M. As you already have a handle, you can test the waters for just a few bucks and see how you get on with it. If you decide that you like it, you can then maybe think about getting something else a few months down the line, perhaps in stainless steel.

Edit: My bad, I see you did pretty much what I suggested! Glad it worked out!

"I think I’m ready for my next razor"

I have been saying the same thing every six months for the best part of 15 years.

I understand the V3M is very M(ild). Why not try the next one up? The V3 is a copy of a DE89 style, which is still fairly mild but a little punchier than the Tech copy of the V3M. As you already have a handle, you can test the waters for just a few bucks and see how you get on with it. If you decide that you like it, you can then maybe think about getting something else a few months down the line, perhaps in stainless steel.

Edit: My bad, I see you did pretty much what I suggested! Glad it worked out!

Yeah, I'm glad I tried this approach. However, if I want to upgrade to a fancy razor down the road, I think I'm going to want to know the actual specs for these, which maggard doesn't seem to publish.

Yeah, I'm glad I tried this approach. However, if I want to upgrade to a fancy razor down the road, I think I'm going to want to know the actual specs for these, which maggard doesn't seem to publish.

Basically:

V3M = Gillette Tech copy. Low gap, very slightly positive exposure. Mild but efficient.
V3 = DE89 copy. A bit more gap, very slightly positive exposure. Mild / the very lowest end of Medium.
V3A = Not sure, but looks a bit like a copy of the original Alpha with more sensible pins and slightly less flex on the blade. If I am right it would have more gap than the V3 and more obviously positive exposure, but probably looks more aggressive than it feels - more like a nice, comfortable upper-medium in efficiency.

Assuming I am right on the V3A, none of these are super-aggressive. That seems to be the case from reading around the forum, but hopefully someone who has used it can confirm.

Basically:

V3M = Gillette Tech copy. Low gap, very slightly positive exposure. Mild but efficient.
V3 = DE89 copy. A bit more gap, very slightly positive exposure. Mild / the very lowest end of Medium.
V3A = Not sure, but looks a bit like a copy of the original Alpha with more sensible pins and slightly less flex on the blade. If I am right it would have more gap than the V3 and more obviously positive exposure, but probably looks more aggressive than it feels - more like a nice, comfortable upper-medium in efficiency.

Assuming I am right on the V3A, none of these are super-aggressive. That seems to be the case from reading around the forum, but hopefully someone who has used it can confirm.
Maggard got back to me, they don't publish specs because (understandably) the tolerances for the zinc alloy heads are pretty low. The v3 should come in around 0.75 and the v3a maybe 0.90. I just got a BBS shave today, so I think I've found my style. :)

Maggard got back to me, they don't publish specs because (understandably) the tolerances for the zinc alloy heads are pretty low. The v3 should come in around 0.75 and the v3a maybe 0.90. I just got a BBS shave today, so I think I've found my style. :)

That's interesting - so even though the V3A looks kinda like the Alpha, it has more gap. Gap only tells half the story of course, but it's good to know nonetheless, as I am sure other folks will search for this information at some point! :thumbup1:

My first razor is a Maggard V3M. I’ve been at it for 3 months and I have had difficulty getting a close shave after 3 passes. I’m wondering if I’d prefer a more aggressive blade? My beard is not very thick so I thought a mild razor would be a good place to start.

Any suggestions for a second razor?
I find that some blades shave much better in certain razors. What i would suggest is getting a Gillette Fatboy, slim(or the $300+ Rex Ambassador which is my everyday shaver, its adjustable so pop it up a setting if you dont get a close shave by pass 2 your technique could need honing. Have you ever Grain mapped your facial hair? REmporium has a face you can print out to draw the direction of your hair. I did that cause my neck hair grows sideways now that i did that my shaves are spectacular every time!

I forgot to add, just out the hot shower or even wash your face off soften the hair and i personally use proraso white pre shave, 2 drops of lime preshVe oil from maggs then do my 3 passes then proraso blue with my fine accoutrements Italian citrus which smells and feels amazing!

My first razor is a Maggard V3M. I’ve been at it for 3 months and I have had difficulty getting a close shave after 3 passes. I’m wondering if I’d prefer a more aggressive blade? My beard is not very thick so I thought a mild razor would be a good place to start.

Look up the "Rocking the Cap" technique. With it I'm able to get BBS shaves from my mildest razor, a King C. Gillette. Shave Nation has a video on this.

@Quaznoid , Looked at the Maggard site and the V3M appears to be a Tech clone. Per the site "These heads are designed similar to a vintage Gillette Tech" so while the Tech is a great suggestion it's not clear if this would deliver a different shaving experience to the V3M.

I've had good success with my Weishi 9306 Long Handle that is moderately aggressive. Razorock/Baili Adjust also works well for me with an adjustable aggression level that runs in between my Weishi and King C. Gillette.

Edit: P.S. Just saw your November 26th post. Congrats on finding what works best for you.

I have to be kinda careful recommending razors, as it's just a suggestion that's not set in stone, with the understanding that there's a chance the razor may not work for you. But my recommendation is an adjustable, like a Gillette Adjustable, or a Rockwell 6C. The Gillette Adjustable (Fatboy and Slim) is a vintage razor and adjusts with a dial on the razor's neck. A Rockwell 6C adjusts by switching plates. Rockwell 6C comes with 3 plates for different levels of aggression. Plate 1 mildest, plate 6 most aggressive. I have both of the aforementioned razors and they both shave marvelously. Plus you can choose the aggression you want

FWIW, Maggard’s V3A is my second most liked razor, after Parker Variant.

While it’s aggressive looking, I’d say it’s pretty forgiving. Just don’t swing it like katana.

Top Bottom