What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2012

Been meaning to get this going for a few weeks now, so there's a backlog of brews to post. I was going to start with a seasonal wheat, but since breaking my Beer Rule #7 this week (Beer Rule #7 - No Octoberfest shall pass thy lips prior to September 1), I thought it would be best to own up to the transgression and post it here.

$HookerOctoberfest.jpg

Last night, unable to resist temptation, I popped open a 12oz bottle of (CT local) Thomas Hooker Octoberfest. This is a deeply flavorful Marzen. Loads of malt. Nice dark copper in the glass, decent manilla head, and good body. 5.7 % ABV. It's so flavorful that the first few sips raise the eyebrows, maybe it's just that I've been pouring a lot of wheats lately. Imagine something like a concentrated Sam Adams Octoberfest and you'll be in the ballpark. If I wanted to nitpick, I could say it's a bit sweeter than I like, and that detracts a tiny bit from the traditional "crisp" notes a Marzen packs. It's still really good, however. The Hooker website accurately describes it as "luxuriously smooth". Definitely worth trying.

Other info from their website for those interested:
Ingredients
  • Malts: Canadian 2-Row, Munich Light, Carapils, Caramunich I, Caramunich II, Vienna, Wheat Malt
  • Hops: Bittering (Spalt, Hallertau), Flavor (Hallertau), Aroma (Saaz)
Specs
  • Original Gravity: 1.057
  • Finishing Gravity: 1.014
  • IBU's: 16
  • Calories: 192
  • Carbs: 20

Last edited:
When I was fifteen I made a trip to Sardegna (an island in Italy) and the only beer they had it was Ichnusa. I think now it is an Heineken company. Today I stopped by a restaurant in a small town and found they served Ichnusa. Couldn't resist getting one, a jump in the past, and it's very good

$main_animasarda.jpg

It is a lager type beer and has an alcohol content of 4.7%. The faint aroma of hops gives it its characteristic slightly bitter taste. To be noted, among its ingredients, the presence of corn.

Ah....great idea!

Today I've had a few single 12oz beers. I've had one Anchor Humming Ale. An American Pale Ale with a lot of character. It has a grassy, herbal vibe to it with tons of pale malt. I really enjoy it. I've also had a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. One of my "go to" IPAs.

Up next is a bomber of Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. One of my favorites. How they get away with dumping so many ingredients in to a bottle with it tasting so good is amazing.

$STONE-SUBLIMELY-SELF-RIGHTEOUS-ALE.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine came over for dinner with a gift. A fresh bottle of Deschutes Black Butte XXIV Special Reserve. The XXIII was the best baltic/imperial porter I've ever had. Seems they haven't changed the recipe at all. Pure bliss. Brewed with chocolate nibs, daglet dates, and mission figs. Guys and girls in DFW...they have this at Central Market on Hulen. Go grab a bomber ASAP. You won't regret it!

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com//brew/black-butte-xxiv

$deschutes-black-butte-xxiv.jpg

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA. I went to the store and glanced at it. Guy grabbing a bottle said "Buy some, it is great". I'd have to agree. It was quickly finished.
$2012-08-25 20.48.01.jpg

A friend of mine came over for dinner with a gift. A fresh bottle of Deschutes Black Butte XXIV Special Reserve. The XXIII was the best baltic/imperial porter I've ever had. Seems they haven't changed the recipe at all. Pure bliss. Brewed with chocolate nibs, daglet dates, and mission figs. Guys and girls in DFW...they have this at Central Market on Hulen. Go grab a bomber ASAP. You won't regret it!

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com//brew/black-butte-xxiv

View attachment 267817

Holy Cow, Techichi. I'm DYING to try that. Looks and sounds great.

Tried the Schmaltz and Terrapin collab called Reunion Ale. Wasn't a big fan of it. It's a brown ale brewed with vanilla, cinnamon, and coco nibs. It really concentrates on the added ingredients instead of the brew. Needed more malt and hops IMO.

$terrapin-reunion-2012.jpg

Last night I had an Oaked Imperial Coffee Stout that I brewed back in 2010... It was amazing. Then I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Last night went to my local watering hold, and they had a "buy this beer and get the glass free" night. It was Sierra Nevada Tumbler American Brown Ale. It's a pretty dern good ABA. Well balanced between sweet malt and earthy hops...and almost smokey presence.

So tonight I bought a sixer of said ABA to fill up my new pint glass. A fine ale.

$tumblr_la3riwRTVB1qcnlif.jpg

I've had a busy week and continue to have a backlog of beers to stick up here.

Here's one that is near and dear to my heart as it's brewed where I grew up.

Cape Ann Brewing Co's IMPERIAL PUMPKIN STOUT. I have had a growler fresh from the brewery in my fridge for a few days because I didn't want to crack it mid week. This stuff is DELICIOUS! I am not a "sweet" beer guy. Most berry beers and dessert beers don't make my list, but this brew is really nice. It's just what you'd expect. Black as night, a little nutmeg, a little pumpkin, and a lot of imperial heft. I like it a lot. It's a tiny bit flat from sitting so long, but as you'd expect, it's brutish enough to not suffer (much) from it.

CABC offers a very highly respected Pumpkin Stout as well as this slightly lower rated Imperial Pumpkin Stout. I picked up a growler of each, but passed the stout on to a coworker who wanted badly to try it (can't find this stuff down here in CT). I shall post a short review of the PS when I can get back up to Gloucester-town.

$PicsArt_1346467058719.jpg

That sounds REALLY good.

It is, got much better over time. It is about 7.8%abv. Main problem is I made it in a time when I did not really take good notes on my recipes so I don't have the exact one. But, I am sure I can make something very close to it again.
For the past couple years I use beer smith, makes things nice and easy!

Last night went to my local watering hold, and they had a "buy this beer and get the glass free" night. It was Sierra Nevada Tumbler American Brown Ale. It's a pretty dern good ABA. Well balanced between sweet malt and earthy hops...and almost smokey presence.

So tonight I bought a sixer of said ABA to fill up my new pint glass. A fine ale.

View attachment 269170

Where did you find this? I thought it was a Fall seasonal. It is a great beer! Not too sweet for a brown, and I like that hint of smoke it has. Goes great with BBQ!

Top Bottom