What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2012

Picked me up a bomber of the Stone 16th Anniversary Double IPA. This was brewed with lemon oil and lemon verbena. It's good. Worth a try IMO. It's pretty bitter, but not unbearably so. They laid the lemon verbena on pretty thick. It's green, spicy, and a bit salty on my pallet actually. It almost overshadows the hops. Not too much malt here, but it does land safely in the DIPA zone. Enjoyable ale.

$stone-16.jpg

Up next is a Great Divide Rumble Oak Aged IPA. I know you hear hops fade with time, yadda, yadda. I can have an IPA several months after bottling and appreciate it. However, there was something about oak aged IPAs I really didn't like....until now. This is really good. Very fruity. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, and most of all white grapes. This is the closest thing to a Chardonnay I've ever tasted in a beer.

:blink:

Yeah, I know it doesn't seem to make much sense. But if you get a chance to try this remarkable beer...do so.
$Great-Divide-Rumble_0.jpg

Up next is a Great Divide Rumble Oak Aged IPA. I know you hear hops fade with time, yadda, yadda. I can have an IPA several months after bottling and appreciate it. However, there was something about oak aged IPAs I really didn't like....until now. This is really good. Very fruity. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, and most of all white grapes. This is the closest thing to a Chardonnay I've ever tasted in a beer.

:blink:

Yeah, I know it doesn't seem to make much sense. But if you get a chance to try this remarkable beer...do so.
View attachment 272962

Great Divide consistently does a great job!

Sheesh, sometimes I forget what I've put up here and what I've put on Twitter. Don't even know why I do a Twitter BOTD, or Twitter at all, for that matter. I just like shouting it to the world, I guess. I'll have to start simulcasting. This Ayinger's pretty good. It doesn't measure up to some of the beefy American Marzens that have become my obsession this year, but that's a different category altogether.

$Ayinger.jpg

Picked up a sixer of Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale. An APA brewed with pineapple juice. I was hesitant at first, but the pineapple seems to actually compliment the tropical/citrusy hop flavours going on, while helping to dry things out and provide a bit of tang which is to my liking. Nicely balanced, shouldn't have much of a problem disposing of the other five bottles over the weekend.

$hawaiianstylepaleale.jpg

$Rogue Oatmeal.jpg

This tastes a little burnt to me today, which is unusual for Rogue Oatmeal. It's probably just because I've been drinking an obscene amount of Marzen(s) lately.

$Saku.jpg

There's a reason I stopped drinking Baltic Porters before I ever really got started. I just can't deal with the Silage taste.

Had a Sam Adams Noble Pils. Fantastic pilsner. Not quite as good as Victory Prima Pils IMO, but not far behind it. I've noticed this one tastes much better on tap. I read I'm not alone in thinking this. It's very hoppy. Must try.

proxy.php

$Gansett Fest.jpg

So I'm at Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago and they have sixpacks - 16oz cans of Narragansett (October)FEST for $8.99. Of COURSE I buy them. They're OK. Not as crisp and flavorful as the Marzens I go for, but the color is really pretty. You get what you pay for. It's a good "filler" beer for when your taste buds have been numbed by something more delicious.

So I'm at Trader Joe's a couple of weeks ago and they have sixpacks - 16oz cans of Narragansett (October)FEST for $8.99. Of COURSE I buy them. They're OK. Not as crisp and flavorful as the Marzens I go for, but the color is really pretty. You get what you pay for. It's a good "filler" beer for when your taste buds have been numbed by something more delicious.

Wow, you really are an Oktoberfest fan. I wish you guys got St. Arnold stuff. Their Oktoberfest is outstanding.

Wow, you really are an Oktoberfest fan. I wish you guys got St. Arnold stuff. Their Oktoberfest is outstanding.

Yep, I love it so, but I'd been drinking ungodly amounts of Wheats for so long, Oktoberfests are always a welcome change. I love autumn in New England. Beautiful weather, the smell of fall in the air, the memories of college back in session, football, and Marzen by the truckload!

By the time the first snowflakes fall, I'll be on to the usual dark and warm brews, though.

I had a 3hr 25 min job interview today with some honchos from a small, but growing pharma company. It was tough. Tonight is a YETI Stout night.

Top Bottom