What's new

A razor more aggressive than the R41

The Muhle R41 is my daily razor, and I like the aggressiveness. But I'm curious: Is there anything more aggressive on the market?

Haha that's a funny picture!

But I have a Merkur 37c slantbar, and I found it to be not nearly as aggressive as the R41 which is my daily razor. The aggressiveness of the R41 is good enough for me, especially with Astra blades (I find them nearly as sharp as Feathers, but a lot smoother), but I'm just wondering if there's anything more aggressive. I read the Gillette Bulldog from the 1920's is apparently as aggressive.. I don't know if anyone here has experience with it though.

Nope, the Bulldog is certainly not as aggressive as the R41.

If you want more aggressive, you'll have to move to adjustables - The Merkur Vision opened up is more aggressive than the R41. Also, the adjustment range of the Vision can be changed by the user, so it can be made even more aggressive than the factory settings allow.

If you'll forgive me, I have to ask - what's the point of more aggressiveness? The R41 is already aggressive enough, I think. I mean, once you've cut the hair all the way down, what would more aggressiveness accomplish? Still, I guess everyone has their own preferences. :)

Nope, the Bulldog is certainly not as aggressive as the R41.

If you want more aggressive, you'll have to move to adjustables - The Merkur Vision opened up is more aggressive than the R41. Also, the adjustment range of the Vision can be changed by the user, so it can be made even more aggressive than the factory settings allow.

If you'll forgive me, I have to ask - what's the point of more aggressiveness? The R41 is already aggressive enough, I think. I mean, once you've cut the hair all the way down, what would more aggressiveness accomplish? Still, I guess everyone has their own preferences. :)

Thanks for the reply!

I find I only get a decent shave from the r41. I've tried slant bars, etc. and it didn't come close to the r41, so that peaked my interest into aggressive razors.

Would a Vintage Gillette adjustable on a high setting be more aggressive than the r41? The vision is out of my budget at the moment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GIL...ltDomain_0&hash=item58948b2c3e#ht_1233wt_1392

Regards,
J

Nope, the vintage Gillette Adjustables are pretty mild, even at the higher settings.

Get yourself one of the Feather AC type replaceable blade straights - that can be as aggressive as you want.

You are a man in need of a straight:biggrin1:.

This. I've used the Vision and Futur opened up all the way and, in my opinion, they are not more aggressive than the 2011 R41. Are you sure have the 2011 R41 and not the 2009 R41 open comb? Not very many people want a more aggressive razor when they try it.

And if you give it more bladegap? I did read a while ago about someone who took a used blade, cut off the edges. Then put it under the real cutting blade.

I think there's a point of diminishing returns with razor efficiency and the '11 R41 is probably at the peak. I get a closer shave with fewer passes using a Futur set at 4 than at 5. Set at 5 my technique starts to deteriorate as I'm hyper-focused on avoiding a bloodbath. With the R41 I get a fantastic efficient shave but not one I enjoy as much as I do with a less aggressive razor as I'm less relaxed during the shave. As a result I prefer my "New" long comb and Joris far more than the R41.

Man, I totally dig the R41, but anything much more than that...might as well go straight.

If you have a fat handle Tech and a long comb New, take the comb out of the New and combine it with the cap and handle from the Tech. They are just mismatched enough to give a pretty aggressive shave (or at least my combo does).

Great picture! Hee hee.
i have to agree with, Yohann, why would you want something more aggressive than the R41. You mighty as well go with the Feather Artist Club razors or regular straights.
Good luck.

I haven't found a more aggressive DE than the R41.

Maybe you could try shimming the R41 if you're looking for something more aggressive although I think it's plenty aggressive on its own.

you'll find this aggressive enough to suit you.... trust me....

proxy.php

I own the Vision 2000 and the new Muhle R41 Grande. With the Vision wide open - the new R41 still demands more respect - I believe it's due to the blade angle. I have taken the "safety bar" off of one of my Rolls Razors and you really can't get any more aggressive than that - if that's what you're going for. Half a straight on a handle with no guard - hone it yourself and you're set.

The R41 may command more respect, but I'm not sure that the Vision is less aggressive. If you define aggressivness as the closeness of the shave, then with the Vision set at "N", I think it gives as close a shave as the Muhle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom