What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Well dont get rid of them yet, i always like to change things up after a while.
No, it's not because I don't like them. I just wanted to stick with the NEW as much as possible for at least a month. I love my Lord L6 - it was my first DE. Slim is a great razor too but I haven't adapted to it 100% yet.

I am the proud new owner of a Gillette Long Comb NEW! Won it off Ebay for $29.50 shipped. Not sure if thats a good price or not, but it seem so to me. Now after the FaTip gets here I have another razor I can impatiently wait on!.:thumbup:
Looks SUPER. I have my eyes on a very similar late english (I think). Will bid on it this afternoon. Then [thread=301948]my poll[/thread] will be some inaccurate, but what the hack ... :biggrin1:

Last edited:
No, it's not because I don't like them. I just wanted to stick with the NEW as much as possible for at least a month. I love my Lord L6 - it was my first DE. Slim is a great razor too but I haven't adapted to it 100% yet.
The Slim has different settings and each setting will need an adjustment period according to your consistent shave levels.

I know you are right, but I am stubborn and usually learn the hard way. I tried my beloved Astra SP's the first few shaves and I was a little confused. The first shave with a brand new blade was golden. Second shave with same blade was not so great. First shave with the Gillette DB was good, second was good too. I am pretty sure it just has to do with me getting used to the proper technique with a new razor, but is it?
Try different angles with less pressure, just let the rzor do the cutting...kinda like when you slice meats, let the knife slice.

Friday July 20, 2012
proxy.php

Prep: Brush soaking in hot water, face scrub with TSD Sandalwood soap, Tepid Water Shower
Razor: FaTip mounted on Sabi T3 Handle
Blade: SuperMax Super Platinum
Brush: VDH Boar
Cream: SuperMax Ultimate 3 Classic
AS: British Sterling
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Alum, Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash Of Aftershave.

I did not do an evening shave last night so this morning I have a good amount of stubble and the FaTip was staring me down.

I was too lazy to stwich handles so I kept the last handle I mounted on it, the Sabi T3, which is nice and hefty, but short and shout.

I have yet to give the SuperMax Ultimate 3 Classic a proper test, so out it came. The cream has Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Tea Tree Oil, hence the 3 for triple action. Frank (elderberry99) was kind enough to include this when I had purchased the Tabac and NEW Short Comb from him but so far I have only used it combined with the Tabac.

Whenever I use tube creams I probably use too much product, in this case I used about a half inch squeeze into my suribachi bowl. With the addtion of about a teaspoon of water and a minute of working it built up a very nice look lather that felt smooth and cooling when applied to my face.

The FaTip plowed through the 24 hours of growth like a hot knife through butter. The SuperMax cream provided more than enough cushion and slickness to allow the FaTip to just easily glide across my skin.

Three full passes and some touch ups today. As close to a BWS (Brazilian Wax Smooth) that I could get without causing irritation.

*Very nice pick-up. Enjoy and good luck with the FaTip.

I am the proud new owner of a Gillette Long Comb NEW! Won it off Ebay for $29.50 shipped. Not sure if thats a good price or not, but it seem so to me. Now after the FaTip gets here I have another razor I can impatiently wait on!.:thumbup:

Nice pic and report, as always, Arley.

I used my PMJ this morning with a brand-new SuperMax SuperPlatinum blade. Lathered up some Cumba Cheech soap with a Rudy Vey-restored Klenzo butterscotch brush.

Outstanding shave!

Oh, so you will be cross training with these razors....i do know that using the straight razor is a very time consuming and tedious task.

I'm taking on the straight endeavor with a years time frame in mind....maybe only weekends type thing. It's the journey, not the destination.

You will love them both! I think I'm settled in with a LC New, FaTip, and now the proud owner of an R41. My RAD has been cured, as I'm now getting great shaves.

I won't be getting rid of the EJ89, simply because it does me very well for headshaves. However, that entails using two razors and that rarely occurs. Let the anticipation build, they are both worth it! Nice score.

Top Bottom