What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I just spent about 20 minutes with the polisher wheel and some polish compound and finished of with the wheel and some Maas. Here is a before and two after pics of the Tradere handle. I was trying to get a shine instead of the duller finish that comes on the handle.
View attachment 247635

That is sweet looking. Do you have a bench polisher with a buffing wheel?

I haven't done anything with mine. Still in the drawer.

I am ending up with a lot of razors that I have never used.

Something is not right... This should not be happening.

That is sweet looking. Do you have a bench polisher with a buffing wheel?

I haven't done anything with mine. Still in the drawer.

I am ending up with a lot of razors that I have never used.

Something is not right... This should not be happening.
I have a Wizard. It's the same as a Dremel, and I put a polishing wheel and work the different speeds on it. First high speed with compound and when I used the Maas, I slowed it down to a 5 which is half speed. Gave it a wash under warm water and a tooth brush scrubbing on the knurling and a buff with a terry towel.

I've been struggling between my two current obsessions, my blind blade tests and my love for Open Combs - the only razors I have duplicates of to do the tests are Edwin Jaggers (black and white handles) and Merkur Bakelites (different red/black colours), which are both safety bar razors.

What I'd need if I wanted to combine the two is two identical OCs with a different colour scheme or some other way of telling them apart - and I don't want to use vintage razors, because there are often slight differences due to wear etc on them.

But the Fatip Grande comes in different finishes, and I already have a Nickel one! So, an order for a Gold finish one has just gone off to Maguires.

My next blade test, which will pitch 7 o'clock black and blue against each other, will now use Open Combs :001_smile

I've been struggling between my two current obsessions, my blind blade tests and my love for Open Combs - the only razors I have duplicates of to do the tests are Edwin Jaggers (black and white handles) and Merkur Bakelites (different red/black colours), which are both safety bar razors.

What I'd need if I wanted to combine the two is two identical OCs with a different colour scheme or some other way of telling them apart - and I don't want to use vintage razors, because there are often slight differences due to wear etc on them.

But the Fatip Grande comes in different finishes, and I already have a Nickel one! So, an order for a Gold finish one has just gone off to Maguires.

My next blade test, which will pitch 7 o'clock black and blue against each other, will now use Open Combs :001_smile
I just got my two packs of black and was wondering what the difference between them and the blues. Can't wait for your results.

No, I never tried.
I try to avoid ones with bent teeth, and like Bob said, it's easier to shave with an OC with a bent tooth than it is to shave with one with a broken tooth.
Do you guys like the open comb TTO's that Gillette marketed early on, or are you more into the three piece units?

I think there is as much love here for the Gillette OC TTO as there are for three piece units....The '34-36 Aristocrat, The Senator, The Shearton, along with all of the gorgeous British sets are all loved....but i think for most...the affordability of the three piece Gillettes makes them a more attainable razor.

I know for me..the #14 and #15 sets are both high on my want list !!

That looks awesome...much better than the matte finish, IMO. As turtle asked, what were your tools? I'd likely use a dremel type tool on it, as I don't have a bench polisher.

I just spent about 20 minutes with the polisher wheel and some polish compound and finished of with the wheel and some Maas. Here is a before and two after pics of the Tradere handle. I was trying to get a shine instead of the duller finish that comes on the handle.
View attachment 247633View attachment 247635View attachment 247636

We were supposed to guess what it was without even looking at the pictures?! Now that would have been tricky :001_smile

Well it is obviously a Gillette. I was kinda thinking "what model" would the guess part. It stumped me when I found it.

No peeking on Mr Razor's site either :lol:

proxy.php

Don't give the mods any more ideas. They are playing with my avatar. I'm surprised it has stayed like it is for as long as it has. Last time they started having fun, I got a new avatar every couple of hours. Some were rather cool.

You know you are loved on B&B :001_wub: when you get a custom title and your avatar gets changed for you when you are not looking.

Dude, If you are going to be a turtle, be a cool turtle.
proxy.php

Too late!! He's heading up by you....he should be there by this afternoon....all I can say is have the scotch ready...and hide the weber!!

Thank goodness Ralph doesn't have a passport!

I used the Tradere again this morning, much better now I have worked on the angles, no weepers and feeling just as finely shaved as the Fatip.

Too late!! He's heading up by you....he should be there by this afternoon....all I can say is have the scotch ready...and hide the weber!!

Dang it, somebody told him I got a bottle of the good stuff yesterday!

Got in a play toy a little while ago (along with some other shaving goodies from other sources)

For fun... Let's hear what you think it is (no peaking)

I started a thread about it http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/294843

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not sure what it is Turtle, other than cool! That long tapered neck reminds me of a Swiss razor that's on the bay.

Top Bottom