What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Tried the "poor-man's Joris" for this morning's shave (FaTip head on a Tradere handle). Loaded it up with a brand new SuperMax SuperPlatinum. I was a little worried, because I had a rough shave yesterday, and this thing looked beastly with all that blade exposure. I thought maybe I should just use a Superspeed today and then try the FaTip tomorrow. But, I pressed on. And....

Attachments

• $angel singing.jpg
    $angel singing.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 72
  • $clear skies.jpg
    $clear skies.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 71
Welcome Warhawk, glad to have another Floridian, and Pensacolian here. I was welcomed in yesterday and actually using my R41 exclusively as of yesterday. I just pif'd my Gillette SS to a friend of mine. Been using Astra Superior Stainless with it, which I found odd because any other razor I used them with gave me less than desirable shaves... Glad I held on to them

Tried the "poor-man's Joris" for this morning's shave (FaTip head on a Tradere handle). Loaded it up with a brand new SuperMax SuperPlatinum. I was a little worried, because I had a rough shave yesterday, and this thing looked beastly with all that blade exposure. I thought maybe I should just use a Superspeed today and then try the FaTip tomorrow. But, I pressed on. And....

I'm glad you liked the fatip and Sm SP!! Great combo!!!

Hello all,
Just received a very soiled Gillette New bar handle. Thanks to the suggestions here I cleaned it up and wanted to show before and afta pictures.
By the way, first shave with it yesterday and, man oh man, it was a great little shaver (after cleaning) loaded with red Personna.

BEFORE:
View attachment 247562View attachment 247563View attachment 247564
...as you can see, the gold plate was GONE in a lot of areas. Therefore I modified my restoration, because I was not concerned with perfect preservation of gold plating. If you have a gold plated razor, I was advised to avoid metal polish. Alo advised to be careful with scrubbing bubbles, as that can also be destructive to thin gold plating.

Steps in order:
1. Soak in dishwashing liquid and hot water 20 min, scrub with soft toothbrush.
2. Repeat #1.
3. Soak in Scrubbing bubbles 10 min, scrub with soft toothbrush.
4. Repeat #3
5. Disinfect- soak 1 hour in 91% isoprpoyl alcohol. Rinse and dry.
6. Disinfect again- soak in Barbicide (thanks Sally's!) 1 hour. Rinse and dry.
7. Because the dirt was still there, I broke out Maas polish. Tried with newspaper but that didn't seem to work too well, so I scrubbed the Maas in with fingers and more toothbrush.

AFTA:
View attachment 247565View attachment 247566

I was pleased with the result since this was an experiment. The gold was gone on the cap before I started, so again I was not concerned about destroying the finish. Also because this will be a user, not a museum piece.

Cheers!
Mike from Detroit

Nice clean up! The NEW is a great daily shaver!! Always on the highly recommended list to everyone that wants to venture into OC razors!

Used mr Senator this morning Ken. Got a great shave, no burn. Felt great! Tell Ralph he can settle down, I'll use another OC or two before I go back to my Weber.

Too late!! He's heading up by you....he should be there by this afternoon....all I can say is have the scotch ready...and hide the weber!!

Some info on bent teeth from the expert, CooncatBob;

Phil.....I've seen several post with members that have straightened them....have you ever had any luck?? I've seen several myself in the wild, but have been very hesitant....I recall one member here soldering in a tooth...and it came out awesome...But that is pretty extreme to me...

Man, i got another very, very nice and close shave with the R41 2011, again, for the fourth time! Oh,oh! It may be moving up on my razor rotation!

Today I used my Fatip....I loaded with a Israeli "Blue" Crystal Personna....at one time one of my favorite blades. Lather today was a superlather using VDH and AoS....lately its been Arko and AoS or Bigelow....

I used the Fatip with the Ikon handle....and the shave went very smooth...was shocked at how wonderful it felt....great BBS shave with three passes.....and the lather....my Vie-Long had enough lather left over for three more passes. I rinsed my face and applied my Alum......BURN....***? I shaved with my glasses off .....(I'm legally blind without them...) OMG!! I looked at my face and MAJOR irritation!!

This has NEVER happened with the Fatip.....so I know that this blade combo for me just doesn't work.....my face looks like my brothers "before" pic before he started wet shaving.....terrible!!

Note to self: Always shave with glasses on, and just because everything feels ok doesn't mean it is.

For me the Red Personna's, Super Iridiums, and Gillette Blacks are the blades that I have to use in this razor...thats OK... because I love those blades in most of my other razors too.....

I just now retrieved my new Tradere handle from West Coast Shaving out of the mailbox. Very nice looking handle. Also ordered a couple packs of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum in the black pack. The handle will go on one of my newly plated New when it comes in.
$IMG_1113.jpg

I just now retrieved my new Tradere handle from West Coast Shaving out of the mailbox. Very nice looking handle. Also ordered a couple packs of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum in the black pack. The handle will go on one of my newly plated New when it comes in.
View attachment 247615

NICE!!! You will love the Gillette blacks....!!!VERY smooth, but yet sharp....makes other blades feel like broken glass....Just wish they were cheaper...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil.....I've seen several post with members that have straightened them....have you ever had any luck?? I've seen several myself in the wild, but have been very hesitant....I recall one member here soldering in a tooth...and it came out awesome...But that is pretty extreme to me...

No, I never tried.
I try to avoid ones with bent teeth, and like Bob said, it's easier to shave with an OC with a bent tooth than it is to shave with one with a broken tooth.
Do you guys like the open comb TTO's that Gillette marketed early on, or are you more into the three piece units?

Ken, to me the FaTip on the Tradere head was a revelation!

It looks like an Old Type, with the curved bottom plate and the bullets. Looks AMAZING on the Tradere handle (I'll have to get a picture posted up sometime soon).

There's a TON of blade exposure, so it looks like it's gonna be brutal, but for me this morning it was just as smooth as glass. Extremely efficient. Got done in one pass what might take two with my other razors.

I didn't have any burn whatsoever, and I used an alcohol-based splash specifically to check for it. My face looked much nicer than it did after my LC NEW shave yesterday morning (maybe a better lather? maybe I just get along with the FaTip head better?).

I participated in the Joris pass-around, and really loved the Joris, but I just didn't feel like I could drop that much coin on a razor. I kind of happened on the Tradere handle, and then, when I heard the Tradere handle would fit the FaTip, sort of hoped it would be similar to what I experienced with the Joris. In the back of my mind, though, I thought it could never happen.

Well, it seems that it can. It feels a LOT like the Joris. Handle is about the same length as the Joris handle. One difference is that the Tradere handle is considerably heavier than the Joris handle. Still, it felt almost like the Joris on my face.

time will tell if it is too aggressive for everyday use or not. I like to shave everyday. Again, though, I had LESS irritation this morning than I did after Wednesday's shave with the NEW, so maybe it WILL work for everyday shaving.

Anyway, for those who've always wanted a Joris but couldn't afford it, try the FaTip head on the Tradere. I got the piccolo FaTip (about $37 shipped). I think the Tradere handle is about $42. So, it's not a cheap razor by any stretch of the imagination but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a Joris.:001_smile

I just spent about 20 minutes with the polisher wheel and some polish compound and finished of with the wheel and some Maas. Here is a before and two after pics of the Tradere handle. I was trying to get a shine instead of the duller finish that comes on the handle.
View attachment 247633$IMG_1114.jpg$IMG_1115.jpg

Top Bottom