What's new

Dress gloves

My hands are peeling due to some medication that I'm on, and that's not going to change any time soon. Sometimes they look positively reptilian as a result. There's a dance that I like to attend regularly, and I think my hands are putting off some people. So I'm hoping that there is some sort of dress glove that I can use and I'm looking for suggestions. I know that gloves are not currently in fashion as a dress item for men, but maybe I can start something.

And please don't suggest a hand cream, lotion, or whatever. They don't work in this case. I just want to hear about gloves.

Do you typically wear the clothes that would go with gloves, to this dance? I've seen a nice tux with dress gloves quite a few times and it works well. I'm sure there's nice gloves out there to be had. The key is to have them look like a natural part of the ensemble. Just some food for thought.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The most formal of evening wear, "white tie", can include white gloves. That might be a good look. (The gloves, not the whole white tie, which would probably be over the top, unless you are dancing with royalty, prime ministers & presidents, or ambassadors.) But a charcoal suit, white shirt, tie in black/gray/white, and those gloves might look rather dashing.

If it is more a club event dancing type of think, maybe a more decorated glove might be the thing as well.

Marty

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
On reflection, skip the gloves.

Yeah, you got that weird skin condition you want to hide, but the glove will just call attention to the fact that you are trying to hide something, and it makes you look ashamed of it, and thus ashamed of yourself, which is a sign of weakness.

Just brazen it out ... don't look like you have something to apologise for ... and you'll come across as much more confident.

I appreciate the feedback.

OK, this dance is a regular event, and it is country/folk in nature. Contradance. Anything from jeans and t-shirt to something like a square dance outfit is acceptable. (One guy at the last dance was wearing a man skirt. Not kilt, man skirt.) My experience is that some of the gals seemed reluctant to grab my hand. And they do feel rough because of the peeling.

Perhaps I should consider unlined calf skin.

If it's country western, that makes it easier. Wear either the calf skin or even some more "western" type gloves, do a bandana, do it up right.

Marty

Top Bottom