What's new

Shoe Shine Box Recommendation

I'm looking for a shoe shine kit to give as a gift and want a nice wood box with a footstand.

Amazon has an inexpensive one from kiwi that looks like the one my Father has had for 50 years, but the reviews are terrible.

I was looking at this one from Johnston & Murphy. Does anyone have it? Or is there another one you would recommend? I'm looking to spend around 100 bucks or so on it.

Thanks

I've used the J&M cream, brushes, and cloth on my J&M shoes and I have no complaints. Can't speak of the box and stand in that set though.

I could swear Allen Edmonds offered a box like that, but it doesn't seem to be on their site anymore.

If you want a new one, the Johnston & Murphy box looks good.

There are some Griffin Shinemaster boxes on eBay that look like that Kiwi box, but are considerably better constructed.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
M80:
This looks like a really cool and sturdy Shoeshine Kit!!! :yesnod:

proxy.php
"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe". Muhammad Ali

Attachments

• $shoeshinekit_2189_8380331.jpg
    $shoeshinekit_2189_8380331.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 278
  • $shoeshinekit_2190_4805.jpg
    $shoeshinekit_2190_4805.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 277
I agree with the ebay approach. I got this one for about $20 and filled it with the gear that I previously had sitting in a cardboard box.$2012-10-07-440.jpg$2012-10-07-439.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I've had one like the Kiwi/J&M etc. for years and, and it holds everything nicely. I have never been able to figure out what the footrest is useful for, unless you plan to moonlight as a shoeshine boy, and have your client rest his shoe there while you shine it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have never been able to figure out what the footrest is useful for, unless you plan to moonlight as a shoeshine boy, and have your client rest his shoe there while you shine it.

... failing which, presumably one merely needs a wooden box.

Most of the Red Cedar shoe shine boxes with sliding tops you see are made by the Rochester Shoe Tree Company of New Hampshire, like the one listed above on the Sears website... they make the best shoe trees which are often included with shoes like Alden or Allen Edmonds... If you go directly to their online store you can order a personalized shoe shine box... the personalized one one does not include any of the durable or consumable items inside (ie. polish, cloths, brushes, daubers, shoe horn) so you can order the item separately and to you liking.

http://www.onecedarlane.com/detail.php?id=231&catid=6&sort=

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Made myself one several years ago, mahogany wood with Spanish Cedar lining (could also been a huge humidor....).

Legion

Staff member
I've seen a couple of vintage ones in thrift store and passed them by. I'm kind of sorry I did now. They looked to be home made? I'm betting they were the kind of thing they made school boys make in shop class, back in the old days. Next one I see I'll yoink, and post some pictures.

I agree the foot rests are useless and are just for looks.. I have had one for decades and have never used the rest.

Top Bottom