What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

Looking at the thread for the 2013 Sabbatical, I find the list of exemptions some people are making rather astonishing.
The 2013 Sabbatical, by comparison, seems a little too easy. Just my $.02. I think in the end it won't matter much though. If people are going in with 5+ exceptions, they're probably not going to be able to restrain themselves, even to those, for an entire year. They're more likely to be successful in 2014.
They may be listing a lot of exemptions, but having looked through past sabbatical threads a while back I don't recall folks trying to disallow other people's stated exemptions like they are doing in the 2013 thread.

You need AS? Do you have any Speick in your cart? It's great stuff. :wink2:

I have a tube of the cream, and one of the sticks, never smelled the AS, but I've become a Captain's Choice fan. Pretty much the only AS I use now. It's also the only frag I have that SWMBO has ever fully approved of. Think I'll stick with that one for now. lol

They may be listing a lot of exemptions, but having looked through past sabbatical threads a while back I don't recall folks trying to disallow other people's stated exemptions like they are doing in the 2013 thread.

not sure if this is directed at me but feel it may be.

Anyone and everyone who has wanted to sign up for the 2013, has been added. You can add an exception to "make a purchase every month" or whatever you want, but like Greg1911 said, that's not really a sabbatical then.

I have tried to sway people who may be tempted to buy asb and cream when they run out as they appear to be still searching for the right products. there appear to be way more people signing up, but way more exceptions too. i have been following both threads, 2012 and 2013 and think some may be jumping into the 2013 prematurely and not settled on their routines yet.

either way, anyone and everyone is welcome to join. but if they can't take a little ribbing over their exceptions and/or some people trying to talk them out of an exception, perhaps the Pair Down thread is a better match for them.

In 2012 the sabbatical was really about not growing your den....in fact reducing it. I did the PIF for anyone who could outlast me. I set some very specific rules. It was quite simple. Most people chose to go that route.

In 2012 the sabbatical was really about not growing your den....in fact reducing it. I did the PIF for anyone who could outlast me. I set some very specific rules. It was quite simple. Most people chose to go that route.

+1

Although I was not successful in 2012, I have a lot more confidence for 2013. Be on the lookout for a prize announcement at year end using brianw's rules for the sabbatical (as I remember them) to qualify:

1- No shaving related purchases
2- Exceptions are B&B LE items and Charity Auctions
3- Trades allowed, so long as no money is added by the Sabbaticalian

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The worst thing about this countdown is that it reminds me that I have to start my Christmas shopping soon.

So, will the survivors errrr CONQUERORS of the 2012 Shave Purchase Sabbatical be posting photos of their Victory Shave Hauls?

I'm starting to think I may need to buy more stuff for it to be photo worthy :lol:

I want to see these EPIC spending sprees documented for posterity.

So, will the survivors errrr CONQUERORS of the 2012 Shave Purchase Sabbatical be posting photos of their Victory Shave Hauls?

I'm starting to think I may need to buy more stuff for it to be photo worthy :lol:

I will. My "haul" will not be epic from a size perspective, just some things I wouldn't really have been willing to spring for if I weren't celebrating victory. :wink2:

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I hate to disappoint, but I think my first purchase is going to be a simple bottle of Aqua Velva from the grocery store.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm still planning on buying more stuff. It's just that first purchase that may seem rather anti-climatic.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So far I only see 5 finishers in this thread. I wonder if a few others will pop in at the finish line to let us all know how they did.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm not in. But I have to ask, does 50 blades really last you a whole year?

OK guys, can you believe I said this last December 27th in this thread? Not only am I still in, but I made it through a year on less than 30 Feather blades.

If it wasn't for this thread I probably never would have considered pushing a dozen shaves from any blade. But I must say, I now have a very strong loyalty to Feather blades. I know a lot of guys complain that they go south at around shave #4 and for some reason I have found that if I go past this shave they settle out and show almost no degradation in quality. Obviously, prep is key for any blade to last longer, but these have consistently outperformed any other blade I have ever used.

Top Bottom