What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

Forgive me for I have sinned and I have fallen off the wagon but I just couldn't help myself. Everything I wanted at Fendrihan was on sale and there was free shipping on orders over $50.00. I am unworthy.

However, I'm sure going to smell good when that aftershave order arrives. :ladysman:

You flamed out with only 24 days left ???

Oh that is an EPIC FAIL. I'm speechless... :confused1

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Almost finished off that pesky puck of Williams today. It is down to just a ring in the bottom of my custom lather mug.

Looking at the thread for the 2013 Sabbatical, I find the list of exemptions some people are making rather astonishing. :blink:

My only exemption for 2012 was a Semogue LE and when it came around I didn't even like it.

Looking at the thread for the 2013 Sabbatical, I find the list of exemptions some people are making rather astonishing. :blink:

My only exemption for 2012 was a Semogue LE and when it came around I didn't even like it.

Basically, that's all that's on my list, and one of those simpsons duke brushes that Mark is working on.

brucered

System Generated

I'm trying to cross things off my "exception list" before it starts as well. I've already managed to cross of a couple.

I've got mine down to 3, but if RR can get the Lime Wax out before the end of the year, I'll be able to start with 2 exceptions. I'll try to avoid that one too, and trade for an IM stick to avoid having to purchase.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm planning out my re-stocking purchase now. I probably won't torture myself next year if something really special comes along, but I would at least like to be better prepared than 2012.

I was thinking the same thing. I came in with no exceptions, but did take advantage of the Sue Auction to pick up some soap. We actually had somebody fail this year because they bought a can of goo for a friend to shave with. The 2013 Sabbatical, by comparison, seems a little too easy. Just my $.02. I think in the end it won't matter much though. If people are going in with 5+ exceptions, they're probably not going to be able to restrain themselves, even to those, for an entire year. They're more likely to be successful in 2014.

I tried the Sabbatical in 2011 and didn't make it till February, but in 2012 I was ready and in 3 more weeks, I'll be a fully vested Conqueror.

I was thinking the same thing. I came in with no exceptions, but did take advantage of the Sue Auction to pick up some soap. We actually had somebody fail this year because they bought a can of goo for a friend to shave with. The 2013 Sabbatical, by comparison, seems a little too easy. Just my $.02. I think in the end it won't matter much though. If people are going in with 5+ exceptions, they're probably not going to be able to restrain themselves, even to those, for an entire year. They're more likely to be successful in 2014.

I tried the Sabbatical in 2011 and didn't make it till February, but in 2012 I was ready and in 3 more weeks, I'll be a fully vested Conqueror.

So, how many "fully vested" (start to finish) Conquerors are we going to end up with this year? I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that anyone who's been in this since January 1 is going to fail now.

1. akokandy
2. Price

brucered

System Generated

some of the exceptions are a little liberal, i agree. i'm trying to get mine down to just B&B LE and B&B auction.

i am in the works to purchase the brush i want, a D01 3 band custom. i purchased my WH the other day. I crossed off my RR Lime wax exception.

the only one i will have a hard time restraining from is the Local Antique Finds. I've been lucky and have a guy who looks out for me, i have been able to acquire a near mint Executive, cased rockets and a red ring this year, and all for cheap. if they come along again I will have to purchase and it's the reason for my exception.

as for my fragrance exception, i'm also in the works to pick up 5-6 bottles (50-100ml) to get my initial supply up, and hopefully i will be able to enjoy those. they are not an AD for me, i have 1 fragrance right now and think if i purchase a few in a variety of scents, they will hold me over until 2014.

so to sum it up, i'm hoping to get down to 1 exception and limit that as well, local antique store finds.

may hat goes off to you guys, and you all deserve a big congrats and a big celebratory order...well done. :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
22 days to go. I'm trying to decide which day to place the order for my blades and aftershave. I think the 31st would be rather fitting.

Last edited:
Congrats to you guys who made it the entire 2012 year! I am going into the 2013 Sabbatical with only the exceptions allowed, B&B auctions and LE's... I hope I make it through!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My hat is off to the stayers of the course. Youse are all better men then I.....Gunga Din

There is no way I could do it. I haven't bought much soap lately, but that is because of pipe tobacco and pens. A member is sending me some lapping film and a straight to try my hand at honing. I know that this will eventually lead to stones, etc. Oh well, if I gain the skills and we have a zombie apocolypse, at least I will be well shaved :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
There is no way I could do it. I haven't bought much soap lately, but that is because of pipe tobacco and pens. A member is sending me some lapping film and a straight to try my hand at honing. I know that this will eventually lead to stones, etc. Oh well, if I gain the skills and we have a zombie apocolypse, at least I will be well shaved :biggrin:

Even with a re-stock I'm not sure how committed I will be to the 2013 sabbatical. It has already been 20 months since my last West Coast Shaving purchase.

Top Bottom