What's new

2012-- Shave Purchase Sabbatical--Gentlemanly Restraint

Gifts for others don't count (otherwise you would have been out long ago, Brian). Neither do gifts received (otherwise I would have been out yesterday).

I'll look up from my soul-crushing slog long enough to agree with the consensus that it's no Sabbatical violation. Get back in line!

I have mentioned before that there never has been a single post really outlining the rules and exceptions for the 2012 Shaving Products Purchase Sabbatical. This year started with a post stating "Same rules as 2011" and last year started with a post stating "Same rules as 2010." Going through the 2010 thread it became apparent that rules just kind of evolved from an earlier lone wolf effort by Vlad. I'd like to resolve that.

I would like to get two volunteers to help me write up a full set of rules offline, then we'll present them in a separate thread to solicit comments. Any volunteers or protests to this idea?

Hmmm...if you make it all official like that, then it becomes less fun and more of a contest. This was about each person setting a goal or personal limits and trying to stick to them. Brian, out of his own volition and generosity, volunteered a prize based on a very loose set of conditions.

I mean, if you want to write down rules, I won't oppose it, but it seems like a lot of effort.

I have mentioned before that there never has been a single post really outlining the rules and exceptions for the 2012 Shaving Products Purchase Sabbatical. This year started with a post stating "Same rules as 2011" and last year started with a post stating "Same rules as 2010." Going through the 2010 thread it became apparent that rules just kind of evolved from an earlier lone wolf effort by Vlad. I'd like to resolve that.

I would like to get two volunteers to help me write up a full set of rules offline, then we'll present them in a separate thread to solicit comments. Any volunteers or protests to this idea?

I think the general rule is that buying new shave gear (for oneself) is the general prohibition. The idea was born simply of a realization that one has acquired a ridiculously large amount of "stuff", but that it seems impossible to stop buying said stuff without some sort of organized peer pressure. The universally accepted exception is B&B LE items, although I think that well may be dry now. The only thing driving a need for "rules", and necessarily the adjudication thereof, would be Brian's very generous challenge, so really I'd say that, if anyone feels that specifically delineated rules are in order, it should be Brian's prerogative to dictate them if he so chooses. Otherwise, this is simply an exercise in self-control, and the only judge anyone should need would be his own conscience.

Gentlemanly Restraint; that term implies that the rules are unwritten, since the social contract is with oneself and the others are there to provide encouragement vs judgment.

When I collapsed in February, in spectacular fashion I might add, the social contact with myself was broken and I informed my support group. Those that have purchased for others or bought grooming products / toiletries not directly used for shaving remained true to the spirit of the Sabbatical, IMHO.

I like to think of it as playing an individual game with a group of other folks - like golf.

I thought I would pop my head in and say, "Still in!" and it looks like I may be in for longer than I thought. I had originally thought that I would be out in the Fall when I would need to buy more blades, but lo and behold, I found almost 50 blades I didn't even know I had - good ones too! No shortage of software, either, despite relegating a pound or so of Klar Kabinett to the shower due to it disagreeing with my face.

Well into my second year, no need to crack. Of course, there is the problem of using my AD money on other things like a new camera and guitar amp.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Okay....

We have Price as the first...
Old Saw as the second
and Beeranon as third.

Timmy Dee lost out only because of a Ebay ending time !!!!

Price picks first and I think he's after that Big Boy H4
Old saw has his choice between the "56" and a everReady reknotted in TGN
Beeranon gets whats left over.

Timmy Dee will get a Booby Prize !

Chime in if I have it right or wrong

Wow! How generous. That 56 would look very nice in my shave den.

Top Bottom