What's new

Beware the hubris of ATG

A few days ago, on a daredevil whim, I did an ATG clean-up pass with my Fat Boy on 9, with a Wilkinson Sword blade. (I usually despise these blades, but wanted to see if the FB could rehabilitate it.) I was thrilled with the results, and convinced that this was the way forward.

This evening, after a shower, I had a shave with a new Derby blade in my 1952 Super Speed, and decided to double down: I replaced my usual XTG second pass with ATG. What could go wrong with a gentle little razor like the Super Speed, anyway?

If I recall correctly, I began to shave my face (with an electric) at the age of 18. I believe that I began to use a cartridge razor when I was about 20. I switched to DE and SE razors last year, at the age of 32. And friends, at no time in my life since the day I first shaved have I ever drawn as much blood from my face as this evening. That's what happens when you get cocky, I guess.

Next shave, it's back to WTG – XTG – light ATG touch-up pass. Or, uh, maybe I'll ditch the ATG until the cuts heal. Sigh.

Sounds like your final thought on which passes to use as well as the healing time is the right move for you, Dan. We're all different, and each have to do what works best.

I have a suggestion to try if you are looking for a more aggressive, quicker shave. It's what I do and I have great success. (Reference point stated above). Try a N - S XTG pass first, then a S - N XTG pass second, followed by the light ATG touch up pass. For me, the first pass takes most of the stubble from the start and it doesn't irritate. The second pass gets me generally smooth except for a few tougher spots. The 3rd ATG takes out those last few tough spots, but does have to stay light or this is where the irritation/razor burn can happen if I push it. But for me it's essential to get a great shave... That or I'm too picky :)

Hope that helps ya my friend!

the ONLY blades I know that dont "flex" are single edge and Gillette Extra Blueue blades...thats usually a reason of nicks n cuts..prep is another

the ONLY blades I know that dont "flex" are single edge and Gillette Extra Blueue blades...thats usually a reason of nicks n cuts..prep is another

Derby blades are pretty forgiving on my face, as is the Super Speed. My prep is actually as good as I can make it, given the frustratingly tepid 'hot' water in the house I'm visiting at present. I'm afraid the culprit is my own imperfect technique — I can do ATG on my cheeks, but I ran into trouble when I tried to extend it to my jawline and neck. Holy cow, did I do that poorly! I don't think I'll ever have the dexterity to do that for ordinary shaving purposes, when I have limited time. It would have to be some special occasion shave, if ever.

I probably jumped the gun in doing a whole ATG pass with a razor I'd never used for that before. The learning process never ends, it seems.

Sounds like your final thought on which passes to use as well as the healing time is the right move for you, Dan. We're all different, and each have to do what works best.

I have a suggestion to try if you are looking for a more aggressive, quicker shave. It's what I do and I have great success. (Reference point stated above). Try a N - S XTG pass first, then a S - N XTG pass second, followed by the light ATG touch up pass. For me, the first pass takes most of the stubble from the start and it doesn't irritate. The second pass gets me generally smooth except for a few tougher spots. The 3rd ATG takes out those last few tough spots, but does have to stay light or this is where the irritation/razor burn can happen if I push it. But for me it's essential to get a great shave... That or I'm too picky :)

Hope that helps ya my friend!

My friend, your skin must be made of iron! There is no way I'm trying out multiple XTG passes, followed by an ATG touch-up pass. I imagine that I *might* not need a third pass if I used a slant or some other super-aggressive razor, but with most of the DE razors I own, WTG-XTG gets me a good workaday shave, but not as smooth as my happy experiment with the Fat Boy and Wilkinson Sword. It appears that I can't cheat my way out of three passes for a really close shave. Not the worst of things.

I've been reducing the number of ATG passes the last two days as well. I do a WTG & a XTG followed by a rinse so I can feel any stubborn spots on my neck (it's always the neck!) that rarely go down without a fight & use a very light touch ATG pass & it seems to work well. So far I've tested it with my Slant loaded with a Red IP & Gem, but today my British Rocket came & that's up next in the bull pen.
My face is thanking me already.

PS, J-hooking is a great method for those trouble spots, YMMV of course.

My SOP is one WTG plus XTG touch-up (if necessary).

I tried ATG twice (once with a cartridge and once with a DE) and vowed never to do it again.

Thanks,
Mike

I do a 4 pass shave... WTG (all down strokes), 2 XTG (horizontal from ears to nose, then nose to ears), and then the final pass ATG (all up strokes). By pass #4, there is not much left to fight against, so ATG goes pretty well. I have sensitive skin as well. When finished, I HIGHLY recommend a HOT water rinse, then a COLD water rinse, towel dry, then rub your face with WITCH HAZEL drenched cotton balls! Let the WH air dry (I clean up the sink area and rinse the equipment!) then add NIVEA aftershave balm. I hope this helps! -wolfey

Top Bottom