What's new

My knot came unglued, help!

So my knot fell plumb off the handle of my favorite brush this morning! A semgogue owners club. The brush knot still has glue crusted on it. Are there any instructions on how to do a good job of resetting the knot? What kind of glue should I use? Should I scrape off the old glue? I love my semgogue boar! :crying:

Scrape off the old glue carefully. Use some small files or sandpaper (nothing that has a coarse grit). Then once that is polished off just get yourself some 5-minute Epoxy (I use Devcon brand). Don't use a lot of glue, honestly I use enough to basically resemble saran wrap on the surface where it sits (super thin layer). Push it down hard (I hold mine for maybe a minute or two) then let it dry over night, bam, brush fixed.

You can hop over to the brush restoration forums, they probably have a much better explanation of what I just said, in one of the stickies.

Scrape off the old glue carefully. Use some small files or sandpaper (nothing that has a coarse grit). Then once that is polished off just get yourself some 5-minute Epoxy (I use Devcon brand). Don't use a lot of glue, honestly I use enough to basically resemble saran wrap on the surface where it sits (super thin layer). Push it down hard (I hold mine for maybe a minute or two) then let it dry over night, bam, brush fixed.

You can hop over to the brush restoration forums, they probably have a much better explanation of what I just said, in one of the stickies.

Excellent advice, the only thing that I can add is to use Marine Epoxy (waterproof).

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Interesting, I just did also a re-glue on the boar version this week, this was my third Semogue re-glue in the last year. My version of doing this job is to drill out a bit of the old glue to create a space for the new glue, and carefully set the knot in Devcon 5 min Epoxy.

Top Bottom