What's new

My Shavemac broke, recommend a new knot

First off, this is not a knock against Shavemac. I've had this brush for years and have used it plenty. I am satisfied with the use I got from this brush considering the retail price I paid.

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, my 3 band Silvertip knot broke. The plug itself came apart. I still wetshave, but have been out of the game (bench player) for a while now. I would like to replace this knot as I love that handle. I contacted Bernd and a replacement would be $125. Ouch, a little more than I wanted to spend considering I am out of the game.

When I used to restore brushes and mess around with handles, Maggards SHD were hot. TGN were also popular. Heck, even WSP Superfines were awesome.

I would like to find a 3 band with super soft tips. I'm not opposed to a good 2 band either, but not my first choice. I already have a 2 band Shavemac.

What recommendations do you have?

20230713_094715.jpg

Attachments

• 20230713_094715.jpg
    20230713_094715.jpg
    860.4 KB · Views: 10
Why not contact Rudy Vey on this forum and ask him to re-knot it for you? I think he uses Shavemac badger knots. You might also consider the Mühle Silvertip fiber knot.
I didn't think about Rudy. I assume most of the cost is the knot itself. I'm thinking maybe $85 is the cost of the knot. I'll reach out to Rudy for suggestions.

I am not a fan of synthetics. I've tried most, including Muhle, and the simply do not match up to badgers or boars.

you will have a hard time matching the Shave Mac knot. It seems that most of today's Silvertips are just not what they were 15 to 20 years ago. The first Silvertip knot I bought back then to reknot my grandfather's Erskine was from Whipped Dog and it was simply exceptional. Others purchased about then were too. Today's offerings just don't seem to be quite as soft. The brush in my collection that comes closest to it is a Kent BK12, but Kent now only deals in synthetic knots.

Silvertip knots most recently from Maggards, TGN, Whipped Dog, and others are probably nice enough but just not what they once were. What I'm trying to say is if you expect to be close to what you had, you probably want a Shave Mac.

I love my Shavemac D01 3 Band. It's dense yet soft. An exceptional knot. If that's what you're looking for, then I'm afraid you're not going to find many alternatives. And as others have said, contact Rudy Vey, he's an artist that could help you.

A little update. I sent the broken brush to Rudy. Shavemac sent a replacement knot and Rudy installed it. This was done under warranty. Something I certainly didn't expect. A huge thank you to Bernd at Shavemac and @Rudy Vey .

Here it is, good as new.

View attachment 1704943
Well, that worked out nicely.

Glad you got it back to new. That handle is awesome, I always liked that one, as is that bulbous knot

Rudy did an excellent job.

Rudy made a brush for me with a Shavemac knot. After about a year the knot just fell out of the handle. I contacted him and he told me to ship the brush back and Shavemac would replace the knot no questions asked. All I paid for was shipping.

Rudy made a brush for me with a Shavemac knot. After about a year the knot just fell out of the handle. I contacted him and he told me to ship the brush back and Shavemac would replace the knot no questions asked. All I paid for was shipping.
I agree, both are excellent people to deal with.

Top Bottom