What's new

You guys want to help with pipe tobacco for a new guy?

One other question actually, should I just buy a couple corn cobs, and then step up to a 'nice' pipe if I enjoy it?

OR

Would you guys recommend what I see as an 'entry level' pipe such as a Dr. Grabow to start?

I mean, two or three corn cobs for 6-8 dollars or one Grabow for 20 isn't a big difference to me...

Not sure what sort of difference it would make, if any.

This is what I did. I now have a Viking that I got for $20 and the quality is miles and miles above the Dr. I suggest picking up a few cobs and searching he bay for a peterson.

Wow.

Wow.

Well, i got two 100 tins and one 50 tin. So if I don't like it, one o' you guys better be willing to trade, lol.

Yea, I'm guessing the small cobs take a little over a half a gram. Full size bowls take about a gram and a half to two for large bowls. I get between 20 - 30 bowls in my regular 50g tins, don't smoke the little pipes much. I probably use about a gram and a half in most of my pipes. To be fair those estimates might have been a little generous I never really kept a serious tally on how many bowls to a tin or broke out the digital scale to see how much my pipes hold. My method of checking inventory and economy is pretty basic, it goes from got plenty of tobacco to need more tobacco.

Since GC seems to have gotten what he was looking for, I thought I would just piggyback on this thread. I have seen some really interesting recommendations from trusted B&B BOTL, but I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a more reasonable purchase amount to start.

I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP, in that I am primarily a cigar smoker, just getting my feet wet in exploring pipes. So far I have tried SG FVF, which I really liked, Peterson's Sweet Killarney which was nice but kinda' meh, and C&D Autumn Evening, which I also liked, but it was a little "light" for me. Great for a morning smoke, but not necessarily what I would want on a lazy weekend evening.

What I am really looking for is something with a bit more punch. I like pretty full-bodied cigars so I guess I am looking for some of the same characteristics in a pipe tobacco. Earthy, full-bodied, but won't chase Mrs. Mountaineer off the porch.

Here's the problem:
  • McClelland BLACKWOODS FLAKE
  • AC Peterson Escudo
  • Rattray's HAL O' THE WYND
  • Rattray's MARLIN FLAKE
  • Solani 656 AGED BURLEY FLAKE
  • G.L. Pease KEY LARGO
  • Cornell & Diehl HABANA DAYDREAM
  • G.L. Pease UNION SQUARE

That's everything that is currently sitting in my cart @ 4Noggins :blink:
I'd like to get that list down to about 2 or 3.

Help! :laugh:

I'm also in a similar situation in that I smoke cigarettes and cigars as well so I really want some taste, flavor and strength when I pick up the pipe.

I won't go into all the blends I've tried and disliked but so far I have 4 blends that have hit the spot for me in one way or another. In no particular order:

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Sam Gawith Full Virgina Flake
Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake - surprised by the taste and strength of this one.
C&D Purple Cow

I know none of those are on your list but I thought I would share since I may have similar needs when it comes to pipe tobacco.

Since GC seems to have gotten what he was looking for, I thought I would just piggyback on this thread. I have seen some really interesting recommendations from trusted B&B BOTL, but I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a more reasonable purchase amount to start.

I'm kind of in the same situation as the OP, in that I am primarily a cigar smoker, just getting my feet wet in exploring pipes. So far I have tried SG FVF, which I really liked, Peterson's Sweet Killarney which was nice but kinda' meh, and C&D Autumn Evening, which I also liked, but it was a little "light" for me. Great for a morning smoke, but not necessarily what I would want on a lazy weekend evening.

What I am really looking for is something with a bit more punch. I like pretty full-bodied cigars so I guess I am looking for some of the same characteristics in a pipe tobacco. Earthy, full-bodied, but won't chase Mrs. Mountaineer off the porch.

Here's the problem:

• AC Peterson Escudo
  • Rattray's MARLIN FLAKE
  • G.L. Pease KEY LARGO

From your list I'd highly recommend the solani 656 and Marlin Flake. Though just to throw a monkey wrench into the works you owe it to yourself to check out some of the other SG and G&H selections. I came to briar as a heavy cig and cigar smoker and I didn't really find my stride until I tried some of the richer examples from their selections. some must haves, G&H Dark Birdseye, G&H Bobs Chocolate flake, G&H Rum Flake, SG 1792 and SG Navy Flake (I like it better than FVF).

I'm also in a similar situation in that I smoke cigarettes and cigars as well so I really want some taste, flavor and strength when I pick up the pipe.

I won't go into all the blends I've tried and disliked but so far I have 4 blends that have hit the spot for me in one way or another. In no particular order:

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Sam Gawith Full Virgina Flake
Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake - surprised by the taste and strength of this one.
C&D Purple Cow

I know none of those are on your list but I thought I would share since I may have similar needs when it comes to pipe tobacco.
Some of my Faves here.

Here's the problem:
  • AC Peterson Escudo
  • Rattray's MARLIN FLAKE
  • G.L. Pease KEY LARGO

I'd go with marlin flake, and add a Latakia blend to the mix, something like balkan saseini or rattrays black mallory or mcclellands Bombay court. Latakia is like smoking a steak, Virginias are like smoking a thanksgiving ham. Both have a lot of flavor, and many pipers lean to one or the other. New pipers should try both just to get a better feel for what's out there.

Btw if you like the marlin flake buy a couple cans to sock away in the closet for a few decades. I just finished a tin of mid-80's marlin flake that was sublime.

Ok, so in narrowing it down, my list is now,

• AC Peterson Escudo
  • Rattray's MARLIN FLAKE
  • G.L. Pease KEY LARGO

And
  • G&H Dark Birdseye
  • G&H Bobs Chocolate flake
  • G&H Rum Flake
  • SG 1792
  • SG Navy Flake
  • Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
  • Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake
  • C&D Purple Cow
  • Balkan Saseini
  • Rattrays Black Mallory
  • McClellands Bombay court
  • Caledonian highland cream

Thanks!! :thumbup::lol::laugh::thumbup:

Enablers...:001_tt2:

Back to me :)

Using one of the MO meerschaum cob pipes Nd smoking my first bowl of frog Morton.

Very nice tasting blend. Thank you!

Kept it lit for 1/3 of bowl before I just relit it.

Couple questions.

Seems like there's a lack of smoke. But I'm used to cigars, would pipes Present less?

Ash, do I try to dump it out periodically? I did on the relight, not sure if that's the right thing to do.

Thanks!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yes compared to cigars there is less smoke, you'll also need to puff more often than on a cigar, once ever 10-15 seconds is about what I do. The ash does not need to be dumped between lights, lightly tamp to compact the ash and relight.

When you first start out, pipe smoking feels a little like learning how to drive a stick shift while you rub your belly and pat your head. The key is to stick with it and things will start to fall into place. You're filling technique will improve to the point were you grab some tobacco and stuff it in the pipe. Your puffing cadence will even out and, you'll be able to feel what's going on inside the bowl with the tamp. Pipe smoking is 50% hobby, 50% art, & 50% skill.

I won't call him out publicly because he doesn't strike me as the type that would want attention drawn to his generosity, but I will say that an unnamed member has graciously offered to send me a handful of samples to try from some of the previously mentioned tobaccos. My wallet and my wife thank him...:wink2:

It doesn't matter which forum you frequent around here, B&B'ers are a helluva good bunch! :thumbup1:

lots and lots. For smaller bowls like the pony and Mizzou I'd ball park it at between 175 and 200.

Typically you use 0.1 oz per bowl for a normal size pipe (Dunhill group 4-5). Using this estimate, 100g would yield about 35 bowls. So you could maybe double that for a really small pipe like a pony... which is still quite a few smokes.

So I've tried all three blends I bought (Hal O', Frog Morton, Union Square)

I loved the Hal O' the Wynd, enjoyed the Frog Morton.

But the Union Square... Couldn't get it to stay lit at ALL. Tried three times. Seeing as it's a 'sliced cake' (via TobaccoReview) how do I approach it? I just kind of tore it up into pieces. Didn't seem to work. The other two blends I got to burn, more or less, but nothing with the Union Square. Is there a tip Im missing?

Union Square can use a little drying time before smoking, it also helps if you rub it out a little more. I had similar problems with a fresh tin of it, but after experimenting with it, I found that this helped the most. Once the tin sat for a few months, I didn't really have to do much to it.

Union Square can use a little drying time before smoking, it also helps if you rub it out a little more. I had similar problems with a fresh tin of it, but after experimenting with it, I found that this helped the most. Once the tin sat for a few months, I didn't really have to do much to it.

+1 You don't have to wait that long however, just empty the tin in a couple sheets of paper towel and let air out until it is at a moisture level you enjoy. Rubbing out BTW is placing a bit of pressed tobacco between your palms and rubbing them together over a bowl, tray or paper towel to loosen and separate the ribbon of tobacco. If you find it grows on you, you can get enough to put some back to settle in the tin, it is worth the wait.

Edit; And if you don't care for it after playing around with it a bit you can always jar and age it for to try again later or I'm sure there are fellows here who would work out a trade so you can try something else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom