What's new

How do you clean and dry your brush after shaving?

proxy.php

Rinse under running warm water, drain, a few shakes then a light squeeze. A gentle brush up and down a soft towel then hang to dry.

Rinse under warm water, gently squeeze to check if any soap residue, and then a few light shakes. I usually dry the handle with a soft towel and if it's a particularly large or dense knot I often gently wipe the knot on the towel in a handle first direction. I then stand the brush upright and rotate to a second brush for the following shave.

I just rinse and then lightly squeeze the knot and then I place it on the stand to dry until the next morning.

Clayton

So I stopped soaking the brush in hot water while I shower and don't lay a finger on it through the whole process and haven't lost a single hair. My conclusion is that even though I thought I was being gentle while tugging on the badger hair to get the soap out, it was just too much for the brush.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rinse with warm water and give it a good few flicks to get all the excess water out, give it a quick scrub on a towel and then leave it to air dry

Cary:
+ 2 and I let my brush air dry by placing it upside down in my Muehle Chrome Brush & Razor Holder!!!

:straight: "Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Last edited:
Is it bad for the brush to dry it on a heater

I'd say yes but I have no proof. Just let it dry naturally and you know there will be no issues.

I never understood why people need or want them to dry in an hour or even 8 hours. You aren't using it again for 24hrs (or more if you rotate), so why the need to speed-dry it?

Even if you needed to use it again for a night shave before hitting the town, you can use a damp brush with no issues...you're likely going to soak it anyway.

The method I use to use when on the road, and which I now use at home is as follows:
1) Rinse brush very well in warm water. I listen to the bristle to make sure there is no cream/ soap left.
2) Shake it out until there is nothing coming out of the brush.
3) Gently apply pressure with a dry towel to soak up any more water.
4) Place the brush in an empty toilet paper tube handle first.
5) Place some toliet paper on the bristle end and stand with the bristle down.

Once the remnants of water have been absorbed, I take the brush out and let it air dry.
I never have a problem with my Rooney, Muhle or Shavemac.

Well during my shave I have a sink filled with nice and hot water.
After I am done with my shave I First clean out my brush by shaking it while under water.
If the water is for some reason too soapy I hold it under running water

Than I just shake it out and hang it upside down.
Very simple, very good IMO

Dries

These brushes are made of hair... How do you clean your hair? Shampoo right... Once a month I use shampoo and conditioner on my brushes... You gotta wash the soap out of them. This process has worked for me, hope it works for you as well. Cheers mate!

In the web site A Quick Guide to Wet Shaving with MÜHLE - https://www.muehle-shaving.co.uk/blog/a-quick-guide-to-wet-shaving-with-mhle it says that " Shaving brushes dry better upside down ...". It also mentions that "To properly clean the brush after a shave, first run clean water down into the middle of the brush head and stroke through the material several times from different angles. Make sure that even in the middle of the brush head- where the hairs are attached to the handle- there are no more visible lather residues. Avoid using very hot water for lathering and rinsing. The water temperature should not exceed 45C. When cleaning the brush, do not use chemical detergents, vinegar, Dettol, borax or similar substances."

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think the warm water vs. hot water might be the key, as has been suggested. I don't know exactly how brush knots are fabricated but I've read glue is involved. The hot water could soften up the glue and the hairs could come loose. It seems to be common for new brushes to lose a few hairs along the way but hot water could exacerbate that.

I know, even for synthetic brushes, the manufacturers recommend only using warm water... and actually warn against using hot water. "Never hot water" was what one of them advised on their YouTube video.

Top Bottom