What's new

Can you thoroughly clean your brush too much?

Never cleaned my chubby 1 since I got it, just cleaned out the soap and airdry after each use. Had the brush for about 8 years and recently tried the shaving brush cleaning soap from phoenix artisan accoutrements and it did a nice job of making it look better. I'll try and find the before and after photos after cleaning.

I have used plain bath soap on my hair for decades instead of shampoo.
My hair is in excellent condition. There is no "build up" on my hair.
I rinse my hair thoroughly after I wash it. I don't use clarifying shampoo or anything else to get rid of "build up" on my hair, because there isn't any there. Why?
Because I rinse my hair (just like my brushes) thoroughly.
What he said! Rinse, and rinse.

Never cleaned my chubby 1 since I got it, just cleaned out the soap and airdry after each use. Had the brush for about 8 years and recently tried the shaving brush cleaning soap from phoenix artisan accoutrements and it did a nice job of making it look better. I'll try and find the before and after photos after cleaning.
Found some photos of my brush before and after cleaning for the first time ever.

IMG_9915.jpg
IMG_9916.jpg
IMG_9917.jpg
IMG_9934.jpg
IMG_9935.jpg
IMG_9936.jpg

I have a brush that was my one-and-only for more than ten years. My routine is always the same: I fill an Old Spice mug with hot water and let the brush soak while I shower. When I start my shave, I pour the water out of the mug and shake the brush a few times to release the water. Then, I swirl the brush in my soap tin until sufficiently loaded and face lather. I put the brush in the mug while shaving in case I need more soap or choose to do a second pass. When finished, I run hot water and hold the mug underneath the stream while swirling the brush around until the soap is rinsed out. Then, I hang the brush upside down in a brush holder. Ten years later, the brush is still in perfect shape and works great. There is no smell, fluffy bristles, and no discernible residue. YMMV

Seconding what @luvmysuper and @Rudy Vey posted. In 4+ years of DE shaving I've also never cleaned one of my brushes and they still work and look almost new. This includes two synthetic and one boar brush that are used regularly. All I do is repeatedly rinse after each shave until the brush is clear of any lather residue, squeeze out the excess water and hang upside down to dry.

Top Bottom