What's new

Single Malt Shout Out

Sound off about your favorite single malt scotch whiskey!

I just finished off a bottle of MacCallan 10 yr old cask strength and enjoyed it very much. I'm currently working my way throught a bottle of Glenlivet 15 Year French Oak Reserve, which I have to say I prefer over the MacCallan. I have yet to find one that I enjoy more than Glenlivet 21 Year Archive.

I was introduced to single malt scotch in the late 70's, not sure how many bottles my best friend and I put down over the years. Glenlivet mostly, but I started to branch out for others that were in about the same price range. I found one called Knockadu(?) that I really liked but have not seen it for years.

I'll be amazed if two people agree in this thread! Malts are all so individual, everyone reacts differently to them. What I like, you may hate. It also depends on the circumstances in which you are drinking it.

I like The Macallan 12 yo, Laphroaig when I am in the right mood, and I am currently working my way through a bottle of The Singleton 15 yo which is a decent drop and was on special offer at Changi duty free recently.

Laphroaig all the way!
Well, not only do we have similar tastes in avatars, we agree on Single Malts, too ... I've only had Laphroaig on a few occasions, but its always been one of my favorites when I want to get a good buzz on.

Have you ever had a brand called "Prime Malt" ... its supposed to be Laphroaig in a plain wrapper, with a price that's a lot easier to swallow. I tasted them once side-by-side, and couldn't tell the difference. But I've never been able to find it in a store, and nobody I've asked has ever heard of it. It was served to me in a bar called "Birds of a Feather," in Fells Point, Baltimore, and they specialize in Single Malt Scotches, with 120 choices available.

My other two favorite Single Malts are Oban and Talisker.

Sadly, I haven't had any Single Malts in about 10 years now. None of the bars I go to have any worth drinking, so I stick to Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks.

I have ancestry that goes back to Oban and enjoyed visiting there when I travelled to scotland .... i also liked the scotch

I have sadly lost my taste for it a little bit ... but when I did I would go laphroaig or some of the other islay heavily peated scotch .... now I have trouble with a blend

I had couple lowland cask strength single malts that were beyond smooth .... insanely low alcohol burn for the proof ..... they were great in my younger day for getting buzzed, but unfortunately they did the job so well I can't remember a single one of them

I had a Scotch Liqueur called Wallace .... that was very interesting .... lower proof, but still more than many other traditional liqueurs (probably just a step below most hard liquors) ..... single malt scotch with berry & herb notes .... it was one of those that I really liked for the first glass, then would need a change of pace

I may need to just suck it up, buy a bottle of laphroaig and work on regaining my taste

Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
+1 Laphroaig.

I am off overseas soon. I will be getting as much as duty free will allow.

I also enjoy Cardhu, when I can get it.

Last edited:
Well, not only do we have similar tastes in avatars, we agree on Single Malts, too ... I've only had Laphroaig on a few occasions, but its always been one of my favorites when I want to get a good buzz on.

Have you ever had a brand called "Prime Malt" ... its supposed to be Laphroaig in a plain wrapper, with a price that's a lot easier to swallow. I tasted them once side-by-side, and couldn't tell the difference. But I've never been able to find it in a store, and nobody I've asked has ever heard of it. It was served to me in a bar called "Birds of a Feather," in Fells Point, Baltimore, and they specialize in Single Malt Scotches, with 120 choices available.

My other two favorite Single Malts are Oban and Talisker.

Sadly, I haven't had any Single Malts in about 10 years now. None of the bars I go to have any worth drinking, so I stick to Johnnie Walker Black on the rocks.

Indeed! We seem to share similar tastes. Perhaps I should save myself some money & time by copying your software and hardware in your shave den! (Do you have a wiki page?!?!?!)

I have never seen Prime Malt here in Ontario. Unfortunately, our retail is controlled by the Provincial government (LCBO.com), so our choices are limited vs. the States or Alberta. Though the LCBO is nothing to cry about, they do bring in great stuff. Apparently, they are the largest wine buyer in the world. I haven't joined any of the local cubs which import and I haven't see it on any menus.

Birds of a Feather has a great menu. I'd love to try some of those older Laphorigs. Here is our local gem http://www.allens.to/allens/spirits.shtml. I have yet to visit it.

Talisker and Oban are my other loved malts, in addition to Lagavulin. Can we start a list of similar scotches. For example, one list for malts such as Laphroig and Lagavulin, one for Highland Park types, etc. I would love to get an expanded list. I allays find myself ordering Laphroig when out, even though that's what we always have at home.

Talking about prices, I'm curious to compare. In Ontario (ON) Laphroig (Quarter Cask) is a value at $65 CAD. The 10 year is $80 CAD. Talisker 10 year is $70, Oban 14 year is $100 and Lagavulin 16 year is $110.

Sadly, it looks like Prime Malt is unpeated now: http://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=25847

I love them all. Ok, not all (not a fan of anything with a Glen in front of it) but I've rarely tried a single malt I didn't like, just some I prefer more than others. Talisker 10 is currently top of my list, close behind that is HP 12 (looking forward to trying the 18). Ardbeg 10 is brilliant with a cigar

Top Bottom