What's new

Single Malt Shout Out

That must have been a long sitting or you wouldn't remember it! Either that or your liver is the size of your head.

This seems rather dubious, especially since I regularly see "Glen Breton" advertising the same thing... usually dead center in the entire wall of Canadian whiskey.

Once upon I time I think my liver WAS the size of my head. Prior to that I would regularly put down same size bottles of tequila or a 12-pack of beer in one sitting as well, and I'm not talking about light beer, either. I come from a small town and we're just raised that way, nothing better to do than perfect the capacity to consume large amounts of alcohol. But there's no way I can do that now - no way. My liver isn't that big any more, what's left of it anyway.

I meant the Glen Breton, which is made at the Glenora Inn in Cape Breton. It's not the only Canadian Whiskey, but it's the only Single Malt Whisky made in Canada. Note the difference in spelling. They went to court to be able to call it whisky - without the "e," which is used only for the stuff made in Scotland - but they cannot call it Scotch. Another difference is that Canadian whiskey is made from grains and not malted barley. I don't know why other distilleries aren't doing it and I suspect some small batch specialties are on the way. Dogfish Head in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, is distilling now and I think they have a distilled malt aging. That statistic was true when I bought my first bottle of Glen Breton back in 2002, it may not be true now.

Yesterday, I snagged a bottle of this one:

proxy.php

A highland peated malt at full cask strength and non-chill filtered. It's extraordinary... I lucked out on a new one!

The big boys (Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie and Macallan) are just fine. All different and all delicious. for that matter, Johnnie Black and Chivas are fine too. Another top choice is Highland Park 18yr, but my experience with that one is limited. The 12yr is excellent too.

But my personal favorites are Isle of Jura 16yr and Springbank 10yr. The balance on these leans toward malty as opposed to peaty and, especialy for the Isle of Jura, briny. I'd love to try the older Springbanks, but the price is prohibitive.

I found a bottle of Bowmore Legend over the weekend. For $30, I think it's a pretty good "daily drinker". Not as complex as others, but still good stuff.

Top Bottom