What's new

First cold water shave & I lived to tell about it!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have been meaning to try this, but was anticipating it might be tough, so I was procrastinating. Well, NO HOT WATER this morning, so that was that!

No issues at all, none, zip, nada. DFS 4-pass. I do admit to being VERY careful about lather and technique, but no pulling, no burn, just a very nice shave, very comfortable an hour later on my commute.

That said, I am not going to be a cold (or hot) shaving fanboi. I have come to the tentative conclusion water temperature is simply no big deal in the process. Water, great lather & good technique will out regardless of water temperature.

I first suspected this when I quit trying for scalding water in my scuttles to improve the life of the lather. Warm lather is more comfy to me than cold but hot is not necessary. Now I shave with warm, not hot, water on hot days. During heat waves I will not hesitate to do cold water shaves now. I have to get a good menthol soap now.

Anyway, try it. It shouldn't be scary. I suspect that like me, you'll decide that temperature is really not a key ingredient in the process. It's the other stuff that really matters. Set a water temp you find comfy and have at it!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Forgot--

For those who care, Gillette slim adj w/schick plus platinum, shave #4 on that blade, razor set at #5. Superlather with Tabac & Park Avenue Classic cream, finished off w/ Thayer's then Aqua Velva.

Last edited:
I tried a cold water shave tonight. No prep, just cold tap water. Even soaked the brush in it.

Got a terrific shave. No cuts. Maybe not BBS but certainly DFS+ considering the lack of prep.

I can't shave with warm water sadly, it doesn't do my face any favours. I do love cold water shaving however, great for early mornings with menthol soap!

Cold water works better for me and is more enjoyable in the heat, but come winter the water temp will moderate. I remember as a child the barber had a hot lather dispenser and put a dab on my neck when he shaved it with a straight and it was nice. I wish my skin would allow warm lather again but cold isn't bad. YMMV

My 65 year old dad thinks I am crazy switching to DE shaving, but he has been especially critical of the hot towel routine, saying cold water gives the best shave. Do you find the temperature affects lather at all?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nope. Temperature doesn't affect squat.

I shower, then use comfortably warm water most of the time. Hot is too uncomfortable.

All cold water during warm/hot weather, and cold water splash before and after but warm scuttle and warm water rinse of razor during the cooler weather.

-Greg

It's hot here in Southern Cali & going to be hotter the next
few days, so the cold shave is in order with some MB
Grapefruit Ice.:thumbup1:

BTW, the shave quality hasn't changed it's just a comfort issue for me.

I really got to try it! I almost did this summer with it being so hot, but on a whim started using Gentleman’s Refinery Black Ice instead. I found it so refreshing that … well, I forgot frankly.

P.S> Black Ice smells very much like black liquorish to me so if you are opposed to that scent … YMMV

My 65 year old dad thinks I am crazy switching to DE shaving, but he has been especially critical of the hot towel routine, saying cold water gives the best shave. Do you find the temperature affects lather at all?
lather made with water that is too hot, will be more difficult to build and break down quicker.

Be a trendsetter.......Listen to your father !

I've seen too many people damage their skin with hot towels and hot shaves

Cool water makes just as good a lather as warm. Personally I mix it up quite a bit...some winter days I love a cold shave with proraso pre and soap.

I find that I've actually gotten better shaves since switching to cold water. First, I get far fewer nicks. Second, it seems that the cold water stiffens the hairs thereby making them easier to cut. I used to do warm/hot water shaves and three passes and still be dissatisfied with the results I was getting, particularly on my neck/throat areas. Since switching to cold water I get far better results in only two passes.

Cheers!
-Greg

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It's hot here in Southern Cali & going to be hotter the next
few days, so the cold shave is in order with some MB
Grapefruit Ice.:thumbup1:

BTW, the shave quality hasn't changed it's just a comfort issue for me.

I think that sums it up nicely, the quality of the shave doesn't change, it's all about comfort.

I suspect that the folks who think cold water gives them a closer shave are just as mistaken as the hot water folks. I seriously doubt temperature does anything for/against the shave quality after my experience and the many, many posters who have found the same. What may matter is using less than scalding water out of a Rival hotpot may enable a more comfortable shave and one can shave closer without irritation.

I think it's the comfort level allowing a closer shave to be accomplished as opposed to temperature itself affecting the quality of the cutting, if that makes any sense. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I like the shower first prep, but I've used the Kyle's prep with warm, not hot, water to good effect.

I'm not knocking hot water shaves, mind you. Some guys find that comfortable. I'm suggesting it simply makes no difference whatsoever other than for comfort. Use what you like. Recognize your skin may react to hot/cold water differently than other guys' skin will, though. I don't have particularly sensitive skin and I could shave in a sauna or out of cold mountain stream just as well, as long as I was properly hydrated.

Top Bottom