What's new

Just got my first 'high end' brush!

The Colonel X2l.

proxy.php

What can I say? I went into this not expecting a significant difference over my much cheaper chinese badgers, or my omega boar, but right from the start the difference was apparent. Right out of the box you could see how nice and dense it was, I love the handle too.

Whipped up some tabac (face lather) and it seemed to create a much thicker, creamier lather with much less effort in comparison to my other brushes, which warrented multiple additions of water more than I'm used to to get the lather correct, probably due to that lovely density. I loved how the brush felt and how firm it was.

Overall, for 72 bucks, I'm just sorry I didn't just skip the low end and go right to this. But then again, would I appreciate it as much?

Bloom pic, because I know you guys want it!

proxy.php

Apparently it's fairly similar to the Duke, albiet a bit less dense (by Simpson standards), but the handle is fantastic! My next purchase will probably be a Rooney 1/1 in Super silvertip, that one looks fun.

Nice!

That might be my next Simpson purchase. Been eyeballing it since I got my duke and case last week.

Congrats!

The Colonel was also my first "high end" brush and it was quite an eye-opener. My only problem with it is that I liked it so much that it initiated my ongoing case of SBAD :tongue_sm. Try not to blow your life savings :001_tongu!

Apparently it's fairly similar to the Duke, albiet a bit less dense (by Simpson standards), but the handle is fantastic! My next purchase will probably be a Rooney 1/1 in Super silvertip, that one looks fun.

The Rooney 1/1 silvertip was my first brush. Of all the shave gear I started out with, that 1/1 stays in rotation more than anything else.

The Rooney 1/1 silvertip was my first brush. Of all the shave gear I started out with, that 1/1 stays in rotation more than anything else.

I'll take that as a hearty endorsment! Good thing I had a birthday not long ago and there are outstanding presents to be recieved, I know what one of them will be. :wink2:

Thanks Statement for your great post.

I am tossing up between the Colonel X2L or Duke #2 or Duke #3.

I have aquired quite a few soaps lately and would like to get a brush which relishes in face lathering various soaps.

Has any one tried both and can give a comparison. What do you get extra in the Duke for the extra $$$'s?

Thanks

This is just from my research as I havn't had the oppertunity to test for myself, I think the difference between the Colonel and the Duke is just density, the Duke is denser overall.

Thanks Statement for your great post.

I am tossing up between the Colonel X2L or Duke #2 or Duke #3.

I have aquired quite a few soaps lately and would like to get a brush which relishes in face lathering various soaps.

Has any one tried both and can give a comparison. What do you get extra in the Duke for the extra $$$'s?

Thanks

Great choice, but I bet ya can't have just one. The Colonel was my first Simpson. Liked it so much I bought two more Simpsons.

No, you just stop right there, sir! You will not tempt me further.
I won't have to tempt you, shaving brushes are a drug. In a couple of months you're going to want to try one of Simpson's smaller brushes like the Berkeley and their denser ones like the Duke or Chubby. It just happens.

Wooop Wooop....nice pics of your Colonel. :001_tongu

i have one on the way as well...i keep "shaking my fist" at the postman each day he comes empty handed with not packages from WCS.

sounds the like the COLONEL is one of the, if not the best regarded badger brush under $70.

If you're a face latherer you deserve to try a Select. I presently have one in Pure, but have one coming in Best. Nice little brush.

Just trying to help you SBAD along as best I can. :devil:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Colonel is a wonderful brush indeed. :thumbup1: And the best value for the money of all Simpson brushes, IMO. Enjoy! :001_smile

Enjoy the new brush! I do think that having a cheaper/scritchy/not-so-dense brush helps one appreciate the nicer ones.

-Andy

Very nice acquisition. The knot on your Colonel looks like a real winner. Enjoy.

Oh, and I'd be remiss not to throw in a little enabling. If you are fond of this handle, you could purchase a Limited Edition Colonel directly from Simpson (Progress-Vulfix) in 3-band Super and with a unique handle (ivory fleck). And why not complete the Colonel collection by posting a WTB thread for a Colonel in 2-band Super, aka "Ehsan?" Three very different, but excellent brushes.

Top Bottom