What's new

Need help Looking for a new Boar Brush

Hey guys! Been looking for a high loft 60-65mm that is densely pact with hairs specifically at the top and not so much the base that are soft after breaking in. I like simple and rather slim handles as it makes it easier to hold while loading/lathering soaps for me. I found a brush that cought my eye on Etsy but the hairs themselves don't look like they are well knotted together. I'll leave a pic of it just as a reference and link if anyone is interested. I also love my AP shave co white handle but unfortunately they don't sell it in that color anymore :( I'll leave a pic of it also as a reference to my preference. Thanks for any help!

Here is the Etsy brush I found and link if anyone is interested in pulling the trigger

Screenshot_20230830_222143_Etsy.jpg

Here is the AP Shave CO. Brush that I own that I love but it has a synthetic knot.

20230830_223643.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Semogue and Omega are the big names in boar bristle brushes but there are other brand names that are great.
The AP brush is the Cashmere knot synthetic and I own a few brushes with the Cashmere knot and confirm with you they are great knots.
If want to know how to break them in I have a thread that explains a few different methods on how to do it.
Have some great shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm partial to Zenith boar brushes myself. In the US, you can check out the Gentle Shave on eBay and see if any of his Zenith boars or his other stock suit your needs. | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=thegentleshave

You can also google Zenith for European sources like Gifts and Care, YourShaving, etc. Sometimes they have better prices, even with the shipping costs, than here in the States, though the wait is longer of course, because of the overseas shipping routes.

I'm partial to Zenith boar brushes myself. In the US, you can check out the Gentle Shave on eBay and see if any of his Zenith boars or his other stock suit your needs. | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=thegentleshave

You can also google Zenith for European sources like Gifts and Care, YourShaving, etc. Sometimes they have better prices, even with the shipping costs, than here in the States, though the wait is longer of course, because of the overseas shipping routes.
Thanks! This one is caught my fancy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_230851_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_230851_Brave.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 12

Why are you partial to Zenith by the way? I've owned Omega and Semogue and honestly besides the difference in loft sizes they seemed pretty similar. Do they use higher quality hair by chance or better construction?

I tried several Zenith brushes. I find them comparable to Omega with very good handle choices. Although I really do not like the handle, nothing beats the softness in the knot of my well broken in classic Omega 49.

Just this morning I ordered two boar brushes, one bleached and one unbleached, from yourshaving.com. I believe their prices on Zenith brushes are nearly unbeatable, particularly if you meet free shipping and I also Googled up a 10% off coupon code. I already have a Zenith Silvertip 505B, thus can attest to the quality of their brushes and specifically their handles. I've not used their boar brushes, but they get so much great feedback on this forum, with @Phoenixkh and @dmshaver being big supporters that helped me get over the line on my decision.

I do have an Omega 10049 Pro, which is a big brush but a good value. I concur with what @ewk just said about it.

I also have a used Semogue SOC Premium Boar in Taj that I've yet to completely come to terms with; I'll be shaving with it all next month on my head to give it a fair trial.

I recommend you at least look at the Zenith brushes. Their boar brushes are some of my favorites. I especially like their unbleached boars as well as a few of their bleached knots. The knots are dense so even with a higher loft they don't become floppy. There is a nice selection of small to large knot sizes in a variety of handle shapes. Happy hunting! And please let us know what you order.

Top Bottom