What's new

Lather too dry?

Okay, I've been having some trouble with irritation. It's not a matter of pressure as I am very mindful of that. I'm wondering if my later is too dry. If lathered correctly should I feel very little (if any) resistance on a stroke? I'm not real sure what pulling feels like. I have only face lathered, and I think I may try a mug just to see if I build a better lather that way.

Tips/advice most welcome

Okay, I've been having some trouble with irritation. It's not a matter of pressure as I am very mindful of that. I'm wondering if my later is too dry. If lathered correctly should I feel very little (if any) resistance on a stroke? I'm not real sure what pulling feels like. I have only face lathered, and I think I may try a mug just to see if I build a better lather that way.

Tips/advice most welcome

What shaving cream/soap are you using?

What is your razor/blade combo.

what is your pre shave prep?

Tips/advice most welcome
Give us a description of your lather. Also give us a description of how you are building your lather. Water amounts, Brush pattern used on face, etc etc.

Also experiment put some lather on your thumb and index finger and slide it around add water to it rinse fingers and repeat. your going for the most lubrication you can have without being runny.

Prep - hot shower followed up by shave secret oil. Brush (tweezerman) is soaking the whole time. Soap has some water sitting on top

Soap/Cream - I mostly use Tabac soap and occasionally I use Bigelow Cream

Razor/Blade - Fat Handle Tech or 40's SS, Derby blades

Process - I don't dry my face after the shower. Take the brush, give it about half pressure squeeze, then swirl on Tabac. I then face lather (circular motion) for maybe a minute and a half. It doesn't seem like my lather is anywhere close to pics i have seen on the board. No where near as thick

Some thoughts -

Give your brush a shake and squeeze, you want it to just be damp. If it's still really wet, you're going to push soap around but not pick it up.

How long are you swirling on the puck? Give it a full 60 seconds of vigorous loading, that should do the trick.

Are you adding more water as you face lather? You should be slowly hydrating the mix over that minute-and-a-half of lathering.

I load it for probably 30 sec or so. So I guess I need to load it more. I am not hydrating during face lather. So I need to dip my brush periodically? I also put quite a bit of water on the puck as I'm showering. Less on the puck?

Keller also has pretty hard water this time of year. I would make sure you're loading on the puck for at least the full 60 seconds. I've gotten better luck with Tabac with just putting water on the puck and then draining it. Letting it get just slightly rather than soaking it longer term.

After that, yes, you need to keep some water available for your brush to dip into to continue to hydrate. You're not dunking the brush, just barely dipping the tips in.

Keep trying, you'll get it!! :thumbup1:

It really shouldn't feel like too much of anything, maybe you are using too much pressure? You should be able to hear the sounds of the hairs getting cut but you shouldn't feel much on your face. I would guess this would still be the feeling even if your lather was suboptimal. Just a thought!

I load it for probably 30 sec or so. So I guess I need to load it more. I am not hydrating during face lather. So I need to dip my brush periodically? I also put quite a bit of water on the puck as I'm showering. Less on the puck?

You need the brush to be dry enough to pick up soap at first, but as you swirl it on your face you should be slowly adding water until the lather reaches the right consistency. There's no way you can get the ration perfect right off the bat, you definitely need to be adding water (and it'll take more than you think necessary at first.)

So how do I know when I've arrived? What should razor glide feel like after a days growth with a good lather?

I load my brush with enough lather to shave three (2 pass) times! For me, more is better and there's no such thing as too much.

When lathering my face, if I cannot feel my silver-tip badger brush I know it's right. The brush seems to disappear. Can't achieve this with my black badger, which is pretty stiff, but even it comes close.

If you get some lather on your brush handle is it hard to hold? I have to rinse mine off if it gets more than a little lather on it because it becomes hard to hold.

Finally, you will feel the blade less. One time, when I traveled to a soft water area, I had to open my razor to be sure it had a blade in it! Serious. I call those soft water regions "shave heavens!" ) Keep experimenting - don't always do things the same way - you will know when you're there. Good luck!

As an exercise, I'm a huge advocate of practice lathering. Soap is cheap and practice lathering is the quickest way to feel the difference in hydration levels in lather. It's also a great way to learn a new product.

If you don't care to practice lather, I'm with the gentlemen who posted prior to me, brush just damp, load the heck out of it and add water slowly to get a feel for it as it builds on your face. I'm not familiar with Tabac (yet...lol), but you'd be surprised how much water soaps will take when you really whip them in a bowl. The key, for me at least, is to really, really work the lather to stabilize it. I don't really mind how long it takes me to build lather, the end product is totally worth the extra minute or two.

Try bowl lathering, and a mix of your cream and soap. Let us know what happens! Lots of soap loading the brush, a dab of cream, and water added a few drops at a time.

okay, thanks to the excellent tips I had a MUCH better lather this morning. Starting with a drier brush, loading the heck out of it, and dipping the tips in water really helped me get a feel for it.

Also, Eric V, I will be trying the superlather soon. Intrigued :thumbup1:

okay, thanks to the excellent tips I had a MUCH better lather this morning. Starting with a drier brush, loading the heck out of it, and dipping the tips in water really helped me get a feel for it.

Also, Eric V, I will be trying the superlather soon. Intrigued :thumbup1:

Sweet! :thumbup:

Top Bottom