Thread: To Alum or not to Alum...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default To Alum or not to Alum...

Newbie looking for advice from some more senior shavers out there. What are your opinions on solid blocks of Alum? Good, bad, drawbacks, benefits, technique, etc? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to know. Please feel free to share your thoughts, we would all be much obliged.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Alum

I do not see that it makes a difference in my case so I stopped using it.
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!
    Drop by the B&B Video Library Forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I considered trying it. A cold water rinse and a splash of witch hazel have kept irritation to a minimum and seem to provide me with the benefits that I understand an alum block is supposed to deliver.
    I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good.--Seneca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1 I love my Witch Hazel its like 2 or 3 bucks at wal-mart or walgreens, and can also be used as AS

http://www.amazon.com/T-N-Dickenson-...5001983&sr=1-2

The next plan is to move it from the plastic jar into an old school type glass jar like say

http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Olive-Oil-...#ht_1456wt_905

Something about a vintage setup to me feels so good!
    Joey's the name, wet shaving is the game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use alum and witch hazel. They are both dirt cheap. I do a slightly warm/tepid final rinse, let it dry for a few seconds, and then I skate that alum block around. It works for me, tightens things up and takes the place of the cold water rinse that some people swear by. I let my face dry with the Alum on, and then I do a rinse with a splash of Witch Hazel, pat dry with a towel, then apply whatever aftershave I'm looking for.

It's probably overkill, but I like the routine, I like the way the alum feels, and I like the way the WH backs it up. My skin always feels great after a shave.
    Is this your homework, Larry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Maximus View Post
    Newbie looking for advice from some more senior shavers out there. What are your opinions on solid blocks of Alum? Good, bad, drawbacks, benefits, technique, etc? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to know. Please feel free to share your thoughts, we would all be much obliged.

I found a tip on a straight razor shaving video ... and now I use alum to increase the traction on my fingertips when pulling my skin one way or the other. Just a touch of alum releases the soapy sliding around and gives great traction.

~Eric V

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Been shaving for over 40 years. Since switching to DE, I've tried an alum block a few times but no longer use it. A cool rinse, followed by a splash of witch hazel (one with alcohol) is sufficient for me. I even stopped using after-shave balm. I've found that the less I put on my face, the better it feels. For the rare weeper or nick that continues to bleed after the WH, I use a powdered alum, but I guess an alum block might work for that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I forget to use it, quite frankly, even if I cut myself. It has sat at the lavatory so long I wonder if it is still safe to use (mold and mildew).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I've been using one recently, and I've noticed the intense skin tightening properties of the Alum. I guess my main concern was whether or not I may be causing any damage to my skin? But things seem fine so far, figure people have been using them forever, so I'm sure they must be safe.

Thanks again
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Images

I found that it dried my skin and made it feel itchy so I stopped using it years ago. Now its wash off my face with a wash cloth dipped in warm water to get rid of all of the remaining lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of WH. I use Thayer’s Rose Petal or Lavender WH. They are alcohol free and do not sting when they go on but provide soothing relief to my skin.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil
    (at) badgerandblade.com

Arizona Retro Shave Enthusiast.
    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum." Jack Kemp.
    "Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open." Words of advice from my late mother.

Check Out the B&B YouTube Channel and the B&B Video Library for some great information.

rockviper is offline I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiis big!
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Images

I use the Osma alum block after every shave. In addition to providing feedback on your technique (even if no nicks or weepers are visible, you have still scraped a sharp blade over your skin), alum in also an astrigent which is good for your skin. Just ask SWMBO
    Me likey soaps ~Sam (subpar honer extraordinaire!) ... 2015 Sabbatical survivor ... 3017ing nougat
    Sudsy Steward of the Shaving Soaps forum ................. Check out the B&B Video Library
    "Don't let anyone hone your razor who doesn't SHAVE with a straight." - Slash McCoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jtadmin;2736256
    [url
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Olive-Oil-Cruet-Bottle-Cork-Stopper-Vintage-Style-/320636898789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa772 cde5#ht_1456wt_905[/url]

Something about a vintage setup to me feels so good!

I haven't used an Alum block, but I use WH and it works nicely for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is precisely the alum block I've been using for the past month. I find that my face seems very dry after I use it (but that could be the time of the year, not the alum). It does seem to close the pores and reduce tighten everything up nicely after I shave. I've used witch hazel some days instead of alum, and occasionally I've tried them both. The witch hazel seems to leave my face less tight and dry feeling, but the alum seems to do a better job of closing my pores.